The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
a taxi
Reply 61
Bagration
Whether or not they think it makes sense is totally irrelevant to the facts. Can I call myself African if "in my eyes" i'm from Africa despite being Eurasian? No, of course I can't, it's total nonsense. It makes sense so long as you accept that their personal views should take priority over what is objectively true. That's as much as you're going to get.

Also, it's Argentine.

Yeah I seen how that previously read, there's nothing wrong with my geographical education, and I'm not going to claim there's anything wrong with yours either.

You can spin it however you like, but I consider it egotistical that the USA considers themselves the sole 'Americans' when, from the USA's view, there are two continents who do also have a claim to that. But we will have to agree to disagree there.

Argentinean is admittedly the US English term, but I have seen it in UK use. I think it sounds much better ... :confused:

Edit - It even has it on here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentina with the others, obviously.
Craig_D
We've just boiled down to the what I was originally saying! There is no nation of America! Yes ... the United States tries to claim it, but it shouldn't, it has no right.

This is what I keep saying, people from the US give funny looks to anyone from North or South America who say they are American and they shouldn't! Anyone from the entire Americas should be able to use it, but after years and years of US citizens using it to describe themselves (even going as far as saying that is official - but only because nobody is willing to stop them) it's become commonly accepted that 'American' is solely for the use of anyone from the USA. Don't you see why I'm saying that it shouldn't be the case? It's egotistical.

The United States of America was formed by states in America uniting. I think that is reason enough for their name.

I think you're being too politically correct. Are Canadians/Mexicans actually bothered about this? From what I've gathered, Canadians certainly aren't. If they aren't bothered, why are you?
Craig_D
Yeah I seen how that previously read, there's nothing wrong with my geographical education, and I'm not going to claim there's anything wrong with yours either.

You can spin it however you like, but I consider it egotistical that the USA considers themselves the sole 'Americans' when, from the USA's view, there are two continents who do also have a claim to that. But we will have to agree to disagree there.
You can consider the fact egotistical if you want, but when you take issue with clear objective truths it really does make you look anti-American (and everyone else who I've seen use USian or make objection to the use of 'American' have been anti-Americans)

Craig_D
Argentinean is admittedly the US English term, but I have seen it in UK use. I think it sounds much better ... :confused:
Well all the Argentines I know I prefer Argentine, but that is only two, to be fair.
Reply 64
I don't think "Briton" is right actually. Great Britain is technically the main land mass of the UK, and is not synonymous with UK; so I'd think that Briton referred to someone from this island rather than from the UK as a whole.
British or Irish. The United Kingdom is just a title, not the name of the country. It would be like calling Belgium "the Kingom".
British
Reply 67
Bagration
You can consider the fact egotistical if you want, but when you take issue with clear objective truths it really does make you look anti-American (and everyone else who I've seen use USian or make objection to the use of 'American' have been anti-Americans)

I kicked up a similar fuss about the Republic of Ireland often officially naming themselves the sole "Ireland" on their documents, because that seems to have no regard for Northern Ireland, and with the amount of Irish ancestry I have I can promise you that I'm not anti-Irish.
Reply 68
Jelkin
I don't think "Briton" is right actually. Great Britain is technically the main land mass of the UK, and is not synonymous with UK; so I'd think that Briton referred to someone from this island rather than from the UK as a whole.

That is what I thought. Ergo, my question.
That's not at all relevant.
British you twazzock
Reply 71
callum9999
The United States of America was formed by states in America uniting. I think that is reason enough for their name.

I think you're being too politically correct. Are Canadians/Mexicans actually bothered about this? From what I've gathered, Canadians certainly aren't. If they aren't bothered, why are you?

The 'United States of America' is fine with me, nothing wrong with that. I meant when they constantly describe themselves as 'American', yet if a Canadian person said "I am American" that would be see as weird.
Reply 72
Bagration
That's not at all relevant.

Was this aimed at me?

It's indirectly relevant, you said I'm obviously anti-USA to think anything of this, so I shown an example where I have similar views where I couldn't possibly be prejudiced.

If it's not relevant then don't resort to ad hominem attacks?
Reply 73
Apparently germans call us "island monkeys"

Well thats what i got told. was i misinformed?
Reply 74
Original post by Bagration
Because they are not racially American because American is not a race.

Actually there is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_peoples_of_the_Americas

Original post by Bagration
It is a nationality. And they are not from the nation of America.

It can be used as both a demonym for a US citizen and for someone who is from any country in the Americas.
Reply 75
Original post by Mann18
The UK is Britain, it's just different names. We're called British.

Not true.

Britain is England/Scotland/Wales. The UK Is England/Scotland/Wales/Northern Ireland.

As for what to call somebody, English/Scottish/Welsh/Northern Irish will do. If somebody says they are Irish (as opposed to Northern Irish) call them Irish - they are 2 different countries and it's been a sore point for many years, which is why there was the IRA bombing etc.
I always thought it was Briton
British/Briton
Original post by Baltimoron
I mean the United Kingdom as a whole. Obvioously you could call him/her English, Scottish, Welsh, etc. Or even British. But what about the United Kingdom as a whole. Is there a term for that? I know this may seem dumb but I just thought of this and couldn't come up with an answer.

You still call them British..
Original post by Baltimoron
I mean the United Kingdom as a whole. Obvioously you could call him/her English, Scottish, Welsh, etc. Or even British. But what about the United Kingdom as a whole. Is there a term for that? I know this may seem dumb but I just thought of this and couldn't come up with an answer.

Brit.

Latest

Trending

Trending