The Student Room Group

Help! Dropping a subject, Who do I need to contact?

Hi everyone, Ive applied for the adult nursing diploma and i am currently studying 2 open university courses but one of them I want to drop as Im finding it totally irrelevant to what I want to do and would rather concentrate on the other much bigger course.
So far I have 1 unconditional offer but have interviews coming up at the 4 other unis I have applied to so do I need to contact them to let them know my qualifications will be changing, do I leave it until interview day to tell them or do I need to contact UCAS and change my application?

If anyone could help I'd be really grateful as I'm stressing myself out a bit lol!
Reply 1
I think it would be wise to contact UCAS first, contact the university that has given you the unconditional offer and then the others. On the days of your interviews, you could even use the matter as a way of "getting the ball rolling", so to speak. It will show the interviewers that you have the communication skills to initiate a conversation under (somewhat) tense circumstances. It will also help you steer the interview to the way YOU want it to go, i.e. giving your reasons as to why you have dropped the subject could be turned into the advantages of focusing entirely on the relevant subject to the course you are applying for.

I hope this helps, but I'm sorry that I don't know anyone who has ever been in that situation...I am resitting exams in January and have had to make arrangements to contact UCAS when I get my results, so I'm just applying that theory to your scenario.

Best of luck!
Reply 2
Ok ring UCAS then the Universities to let them know.

When I was doing A2 Levels before the June exams I dropped History and didn't think to tell them! When it came to results day - I had a conditional offer but they rejected me because of it and were very annoyed I didn't let them know! ( I just didn't think at the time!)

Latest