The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 1
Asda I believe is what most people use. £3.50 for delivery, so if you get others to all do their shopping with you it can be quite economical.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Ditto Asda - there always seems to be an Asda van around here. With just one other person, the £3.50 delivery works out cheaper than the bus fare into town each as well. :smile:
Reply 3
affinity89
Ditto Asda - there always seems to be an Asda van around here. With just one other person, the cheapest £3.50 delivery is cheaper than the bus fare into town. :smile:

#

How do you work that one out, bus fare is only £2.15 return. It's worth it to save you having to carry it but the maths are a little out.
Reply 4
Dude yeah Asda FTW. For me, the only places I can walk are Tesco Express (over a mile away) and Sainbury's (a small-ish one, 1.5 miles away). So I do an Asda shop online with my flatmates, we DON'T have to walk and carry our groceries miles up a steep hill, and we save way more by shopping Asda than we actually spend on the delivery. It's phenomtastic.
Reply 5
bestie
#

How do you work that one out, bus fare is only £2.15 return. It's worth it to save you having to carry it but the maths are a little out.

Because with just one other person, then £3.50 is £1.75 shared.

//I don't shop online personally, just because I can't stand it haha! I know I could save money-wise, but I go on Wednesdays anyway, so get the free bus into town, and then usually get a normal single back, so it's only £1.45 anyway.

If you have more patience than me though, and can stand to flick through pages of searches etc. then it's probably a good idea :smile:

ASDA is probably you're best option, but try out mysupermarket.co.uk - it allows you to compare prices between ASDA, Sainsburys, Waitrose and Tesco, so you can be sure you're getting the best deal :yes:
bestie
#

I said if there are two or more of you. Hence, £3.50 divided by 2 = £1.75 each. Hence, cheaper than the bus fare to Sainsburys.
Reply 7
ASDA tend to be the most popular option on campus. Delivery from there really is the better option, I went from campus to ASDA in my first year, and I had to get two buses, which didn’t exactly work out cheap (Unless they’ve changed things).

If you’re willing to get your shopping in late (between 9:00-11:00pm), Tesco do slots for £3, and their meat is, marginally, of a better quality (I’d go to the butchers but it’s too expensive).
Reply 8
Sounds stupid, but do they ring your buzzer or ring when they're outside or what?
Reply 9
aliphatic
Sounds stupid, but do they ring your buzzer or ring when they're outside or what?

Give them your mobile number and they'll give you a ring.
Reply 10
affinity89
I said if there are two or more of you. Hence, £3.50 divided by 2 = £1.75 each. Hence, cheaper than the bus fare to Sainsburys.

Ah, I see.
Reply 11
bestie
#

Plus you can buy more food with it being delivered in a van so you probably save money on trips to town. I know I used to go Sainsbury's every week and spend like 20 quid whereas at ASDA I spend 30 quid and it lasts 3-4 weeks.
Reply 12
What do you put as your address when you get it delivered? I did the postcode search and it came up with the college. Do you just put that or do you change it to your house, flat on campus.
We usually put the college and then they will give you a call when they arrive. If your in Bowland, they will usually park up outside the chaplaincy centre.

Oh and Happy New Year!
Reply 14
Thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending