The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

it bothers me that many people are dying all in the name of religion!! When lets face it nothing can be solidly proven!!! Maybe i'm ignorant or whatever!! I think the westboro baptist church which preech christainty believe they are the only real christains!! Has any1 else heard of these people? There sadistic in all accounts?
Reply 21
XXCatherine1990XX
I was christened as a child but ever since i was 14/15 i have questioned religion and choose to now be agonostic. So is your religion chosen by your parents? or do you freely choose to believe in a particular one? and why that religion?

p.s..please dont tell me i'm going to hell cos i dont believe :smile: A question to christians also..if god forgives alll then why is there a hell??

cat x
Because God only offers forgiveness. He doesn't force us to accept it.

My beliefs are the result of my own thoughts and decisions, based on a number of experiences in my life. My parents hold the same beliefs, but independantly of me, and I independantly of them.

And did you know that 'agnostic' is Greek? It means 'unenlightened.'
Tootles
Because God only offers forgiveness. He doesn't force us to accept it.

My beliefs are the result of my own thoughts and decisions, based on a number of experiences in my life. My parents hold the same beliefs, but independantly of me, and I independantly of them.

And did you know that 'agnostic' is Greek? It means 'unenlightened.'

I respect your opinion as every1 choses there own way in life..
yeah i know that and maybe i am unenlightened but i find it hard to support a religion when so many bad things happen to good people...why would a god do that?
Reply 23
XXCatherine1990XX
I respect your opinion as every1 choses there own way in life..
yeah i know that and maybe i am unenlightened but i find it hard to support a religion when so many bad things happen to good people...why would a god do that?
Because of free will. That's what makes someone's belief in God special: if we were forced to do it, would it be true or real, or just a mundane aspect of life?

The obvious problem with free will is, of course, that people can do good things as well as bad - and most of Man's problems have been made by Man.
That doesn't really explain my question...A good friend of mine was the nicest person you could ever meet..and was a christain. But she has had the worst life imaginable!!! So how can your god do that to someone!
Secondly why do people who believe in a unproven 'believe' are special when agonostics, muslims ect are not? Sorry if it sounds liek i am getting at you i just never got the change to speak to a dedicated christain.
Reply 25
God, or the Poetic Genius, is a creation of man and is mans fundamental soul. All religions are different cultures emanations of this Poetic Genius trying to codify the eternal nature of the human soul (the afterlife itself is a metaphorical construction to show the beauty of enlightenment and the horror of ignorance). Divinity ultimatley resides in the human heart. At an esoteric level all religions are the same, they have one key tenent that all hold in common: 'thou shalt not disfigure the soul'.

Basically read William Blake and the poetry of Rabia and Rumi and you get my basic beliefs.
Reply 26
XXCatherine1990XX
I was christened as a child but ever since i was 14/15 i have questioned religion and choose to now be agonostic. So is your religion chosen by your parents? or do you freely choose to believe in a particular one? and why that religion?

p.s..please dont tell me i'm going to hell cos i dont believe :smile: A question to christians also..if god forgives alll then why is there a hell??

cat x

So is your religion chosen by your parents

My Religion is not chosen by my parents and indeed goes against my fathers earlier choice.

Or do you freely choose to believe in a particular one?

I freely chose to give my life over to Jesus Christ.
and why that religion?

Because of personal revelation and connection with God

p.s.. please dont tell me i;m going to hell cos i dont believe :smile:

Ok

A question to christians also..if god forgives alll then why is there a hell?

Two answers One, is that Forgiveness does not mean that there should be no Punishment,"forgiveness" not "pardon".

Second is that sin by it's very nature is unable to be a part of God so anything that is not within Jesus Christ (and therefore perfect and free of sin) , carries within it sin and therefore can never be returned to the Father, and if it cannot go there, that leaves only one place.
Ahania
God, or the Poetic Genius, is a creation of man and is mans fundamental soul. All religions are different cultures emanations of this Poetic Genius trying to codify the eternal nature of the human soul (the afterlife itself is a metaphorical construction to show the beauty of enlightenment and the horror of ignorance). Divinity ultimatley resides in the human heart. At an esoteric level all religions are the same, they have one key tenent that all hold in common: 'thou shalt not disfigure the soul'.

Basically read William Blake and the poetry of Rabia and Rumi and you get my basic beliefs.

By 'basic beliefs' do you mean a brief, pseudo-intellectual paragraph full of crap?
Reply 28
TableChair
By 'basic beliefs' do you mean a brief, pseudo-intellectual paragraph full of crap?

welp sorry for using big words.

God is in man and man is the mind which is heaven and hell.

That better?
lordbonney
Yeah I've always thought that. I think its a bit weird that a god would choose to let people be born into appaling poverty in say India, and as a result they are brought up as Hindu's and therefore are damned to hell for eternity for not believing in Jesus, a man that they'd never even heard of.

Very good point;interesting how no christian on TSR has dared yet challenged it :yes:
Ahania
welp sorry for using big words.

God is in man and man is the mind which is heaven and hell.

That better?

I don't mind people using 'big words' but not if they are using them to obscure the fact that their point of view makes no sense.

And no.
Reply 31
TableChair
I don't mind people using 'big words' but not if they are using them to obscure the fact that their point of view makes no sense.

And no.

All Religions are One (William Blake, 1788)

The Voice of one crying in the Wilderness
The Argument. As the true method of knowledge is experiment, the true faculty of knowing must be the faculty which experiences. This faculty I treat of.

* Principle I. That the Poetic Genius is the true Man, and that the body or outward form of Man is derived from the Poetic Genius. Likewise that the forms of all things are derived from their Genius, which by the Ancients was call'd an Angel & Spirit & Demon.
* Principle II. As all men are alike in outward form, So (and with the same infinite variety) all are alike in the Poetic Genius.
* Principle III. No man can think, write or speak from his heart, but he must intend truth. thus all sects of Philosophy are from the Poetic Genius adapted to the weaknesses of every individual.
* Principle IV. As none by travelling over known lands can find out the unknown, So from already acquired knowledge Man could not acquire more; therefore an universal Poetic genius exists.
* Principle V. The Religions of all Nations are derived from each Nation's different reception of the Poetic Genius, which is every where call'd the Spirit of Prophecy.
* Principle VI. The Jewish & Christian Testaments are An original derivation from the Poetic Genius. This is necessary from the confined nature of bodily sensation.
* Principle VII. As all men are alike (tho' infinitely various), So all Religions , &, as all similars, have one source. The true Man is the source, he being the Poetic Genius.
Ahania
All Religions are One (William Blake, 1788)

The Voice of one crying in the Wilderness
The Argument. As the true method of knowledge is experiment, the true faculty of knowing must be the faculty which experiences. This faculty I treat of.

* Principle I. That the Poetic Genius is the true Man, and that the body or outward form of Man is derived from the Poetic Genius. Likewise that the forms of all things are derived from their Genius, which by the Ancients was call'd an Angel & Spirit & Demon.
* Principle II. As all men are alike in outward form, So (and with the same infinite variety) all are alike in the Poetic Genius.
* Principle III. No man can think, write or speak from his heart, but he must intend truth. thus all sects of Philosophy are from the Poetic Genius adapted to the weaknesses of every individual.
* Principle IV. As none by travelling over known lands can find out the unknown, So from already acquired knowledge Man could not acquire more; therefore an universal Poetic genius exists.
* Principle V. The Religions of all Nations are derived from each Nation's different reception of the Poetic Genius, which is every where call'd the Spirit of Prophecy.
* Principle VI. The Jewish & Christian Testaments are An original derivation from the Poetic Genius. This is necessary from the confined nature of bodily sensation.
* Principle VII. As all men are alike (tho' infinitely various), So all Religions , &, as all similars, have one source. The true Man is the source, he being the Poetic Genius.

That post makes almost no sense to me, if anyone can translate, please go ahead.
Reply 33
TableChair
That post makes almost no sense to me, if anyone can translate, please go ahead.

Through aphoristic declarations and accompanying emblem-like designs, Blake argues for the essential unity of all religions as expressions of the "Poetic Genius" within all human beings. As the quoted phrase suggests, All Religions are One implies the unity of the artistic and religious imagination. Several of the numbered "Principle," the term used as a heading to each text plate, assert a causal connection between inner spirit and outer body. Because of shared graphic styles, themes, and genre, All Religions are One is closely associated with There is No Natural Religion of the same year

My Heart Has Become Capable in Evry Form - Muhyiddin Ibn Arabi, Islamic Theologian, 13th century.

My heart has become capable of every form: it is a pasture for gazelles and a convent for Christian monks,
And a temple for idols, and the pilgrim's Ka'ba, and the tables of the Tora and the book of the Koran.
I follow the religion of Love, whichever way his camels take. My religion and my faith is the true religion.
We have a pattern in Bishr, the lover of Hind and her sister, and in Qays and Lubna, and in Mayya and Ghaylan.
sandeep90
Agnostics are just Atheists without balls lol.

Oh give it a rest. Agnostics just admit that as simple humans we have no way of knowing if there is or isn't a God, while both atheists and theists alike seem to think that they can actually know whether God exists or not. I used to be atheist, then I realised that I don't know everything.
because lightsabers are frickin' sweet!
Reply 36
nexusofsanity
Oh give it a rest. Agnostics just admit that as simple humans we have no way of knowing if there is or isn't a God, while both atheists and theists alike seem to think that they can actually know whether God exists or not. I used to be atheist, then I realised that I don't know everything.

Depends how you define atheist. You seem to be of the opinion that to be an atheist you have to be a strong atheist. Most people who describe themselves as atheists disagree on that definition of atheist. Most "atheists" don't claim to know there is no god.

If atheist is defined as lack of belief in any gods, then most agnostics would be atheists. Sounds like you lack belief in god, so under that definition you are an atheist.
Psyk
Depends how you define atheist. You seem to be of the opinion that to be an atheist you have to be a strong atheist. Most people who describe themselves as atheists disagree on that definition of atheist. Most "atheists" don't claim to know there is no god.

If atheist is defined as lack of belief in any gods, then most agnostics would be atheists. Sounds like you lack belief in god, so under that definition you are an atheist.

I don't lack a belief in a god though... I believe that the most likely explanation for the truth about the universe falls to "deism" (the belief in a non-interventionist, apathetic creator God), but I identify as agnostic because I believe that it's impossible for us humans, at this point in time, to understand the true nature of the universe. The only thing I believe for sure is that there is some huge truth behind the universe that us humans have no concept of (yet).

Anyway, I know what the technical definition of an atheist is, and if you count anyone that simply does not believe in God, that's about 98% of people at my school. However, atheist has a completely different meaning where I live! Since barely anyone at my school believes in God, "atheist" has come to mean someone who runs around telling people why God does not exist. And that is possibly the only stereotype I've seen that holds true, because ALL the people at my school who identify as atheists do exactly that. So despite me going to a school full of atheists, barely anyone actually calls themself an atheist.
Reply 38
nexusofsanity
I don't lack a belief in a god though... I believe that the most likely explanation for the truth about the universe falls to "deism" (the belief in a non-interventionist, apathetic creator God), but I identify as agnostic because I believe that it's impossible for us humans, at this point in time, to understand the true nature of the universe. The only thing I believe for sure is that there is some huge truth behind the universe that us humans have no concept of (yet).

Fair enough. I guess that would make you an agnostic deist.

nexusofsanity

Anyway, I know what the technical definition of an atheist is, and if you count anyone that simply does not believe in God, that's about 98% of people at my school. However, atheist has a completely different meaning where I live! Since barely anyone at my school believes in God, "atheist" has come to mean someone who runs around telling people why God does not exist. And that is possibly the only stereotype I've seen that holds true, because ALL the people at my school who identify as atheists do exactly that. So despite me going to a school full of atheists, barely anyone actually calls themself an atheist.

Yeah I think that was the point in the comment "agnostics are just atheists without balls". People don't want to call themselves atheists (even though they are) because they don't want to be associated with the annoying Dawkins worshippers. So they call themselves agnostic instead.
Because my religion is better than any other.....so there.

And I don't need any proof either.

Latest

Trending

Trending