The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I would be interested in hearing more sides of the story, I have heard plenty of anti-Islamism from friends and the media alike. It sort of builds up this image of them being some kind of evil religion machine even if you don't notice it. I liked the muslim woman who was on the panel on Question Time, can't remember her name, she seemed sensible. But yeah I'm curious as to what really goes on there, if that is at all possible to find out. Would be interesting to see if in 50 years muslims are seen as the once-demonised 'scapegoats' a la Jews in early 20th century :yes:
Reply 161
Conor C
I hate Islam. Worst thing ever invented.

first of all Islam wasn't invented, secondly that's a harsh thing to say. If you didn't wanna know about it, you should keep the negative comments to yourself.........
c0nfus3d
It is a great miracle that these facts, which could not possibly be discovered without the technology of the 20th century, were explicitly stated by the Qur'an 1,400 years ago

Try 3000 years:

After the formation of the earth planet, Brahama created atmosphere in group of seven , from that formation oceans began to exist, and the first form of life appeared on the earth planet. His atmosphere was created as protective skin of earth (Shrimad Bhagwatam)
Reply 163
sandeep90
Ahhh, delicious copypasta :smile:

Don't say you're using the whole grammar cop out that so many other Muslims use on here. There are not seven layers to the atmosphere, there are five main layers.

I read through and put some in my own words. So what if I copied and pasted? It addresses the point. You're deviating again. Mate, are you disagreeing with facts? 7 layers:

Magnetosphere
Ionosphere
Exosphere
Thermosphere
Mesosphere
Stratosphere
Troposphere

You're arguing with science now, not religion.

http://wings.avkids.com/Book/Atmosphere/beginner/layers-01.html

:facepalm:
Did that muhammed guy really have sex with a six year old?
Reply 165
Charzhino
Try 3000 years:

After the formation of the earth planet, Brahama created atmosphere in group of seven , from that formation oceans began to exist, and the first form of life appeared on the earth planet. His atmosphere was created as protective skin of earth (Shrimad Bhagwatam)

Ooo. Really? Are there any more science-y things?:confused:
c0nfus3d
Ooo. Really? Are there any more science-y things?:confused:

Yes, much of the science in the Quran was written before. The Vedas contain clear stuff of earth rotating sun, shape of earth, creation of moon, cosmological timescales. Ancient Hindus where well known for their contribution to cosmological sciences.
c0nfus3d
I read through and put some in my own words. So what if I copied and pasted? It addresses the point. You're deviating again. Mate, are you disagreeing with facts? 7 layers:

Magnetosphere
Ionosphere
Exosphere
Thermosphere
Mesosphere
Stratosphere
Troposphere

You're arguing with science now, not religion.

http://wings.avkids.com/Book/Atmosphere/beginner/layers-01.html

:facepalm:

There are five layers. Source

The Ionosphere is not a separate layer but an extension of the thermosphere. Source

The Magnetosphere is not a part of the atmosphere. Source. Other planets have their own 'magnetospheres' aswell.

:facepalm: to you to.
Reply 168
sandeep90
There are five layers. Source

The Ionosphere is not a separate layer but an extension of the thermosphere. Source

The Magnetosphere is not a part of the atmosphere. Source. Other planets have their own 'magnetospheres' aswell.

:facepalm: to you to.

Scientists have found that the atmosphere consists of several layers. The layers differ in such physical properties as pressure and the types of gasses. The layer of the atmosphere closest to Earth is called the TROPOSPHERE. It contains about 90% of the total mass of the atmosphere. The layer above the troposphere is called the STRATOSPHERE. The OZONE LAYER is the part of the stratosphere where absorption of ultraviolet rays occurs. The layer above the stratosphere is called the MESOSPHERE. The THERMOSPHERE lies above the mesosphere. The ionized gases form a layer within the thermosphere called the IONOSPHERE. The outermost part of Earth's atmosphere extends from about 480 km out to 960 km. This part is called the EXOSPHERE. (2)

If we count the number of layers cited in this source, we see that the atmosphere consists of exactly seven layers, just as stated in the verse.

1. Troposphere
2. Stratosphere
3. Ozonosphere
4. Mesosphere
5. Thermosphere
6. Ionosphere
7. Exosphere

Another important miracle on this subject is mentioned in the statement "(He) revealed, in every heaven, its own mandate.", in verse 12 of Sura Fussilet. In other words, in the verse, God states that He assigned each heaven its own duty. Truly, as seen in previous chapters, each one of these layers has vital duties for the benefit of human kind and all other living things on the Earth. Each layer has a particular function, ranging from forming rain to preventing harmful rays, from reflecting radio waves, to averting the harmful effects of meteors.

One of these functions, for example, is stated in a scientific source as follows:

Earth's atmosphere has 7 layers. The lowest layer is called troposphere. Rain, snow and wind only take place in the troposphere.(3)

It is a great miracle that these facts, which could not possibly be discovered without the technology of the 20th century, were explicitly stated by the Qur'an 1,400 years ago.

Double :facepalm: :facepalm:
Reply 169
Charzhino
Yes, much of the science in the Quran was written before. The Vedas contain clear stuff of earth rotating sun, shape of earth, creation of moon, cosmological timescales. Ancient Hindus where well known for their contribution to cosmological sciences.

may I see?
Reply 170
Charzhino

The Bhagavad Gita is one of the most ridiculously awesome things ever written down.
Reply 171
hey
just thought id say
i never hated islam until i made friends with a muslim and she explained it to me
shockingly she is incredibly religous and constantly tries to persuade us that islam is good
but all she does is make us hate it even more
c0nfus3d
may I see?

Sorry, I misreferenced that, it was supposed to be the moons ''light'', not creation:

Atharva Samhita (XIV. 1.1) expression relates:

“Divi soma adhi shrutih” ‘The moon depends upon the rays from the sun (sunlight).
c0nfus3d
Scientists have found that the atmosphere consists of several layers. The layers differ in such physical properties as pressure and the types of gasses. The layer of the atmosphere closest to Earth is called the TROPOSPHERE. It contains about 90% of the total mass of the atmosphere. The layer above the troposphere is called the STRATOSPHERE. The OZONE LAYER is the part of the stratosphere where absorption of ultraviolet rays occurs. The layer above the stratosphere is called the MESOSPHERE. The THERMOSPHERE lies above the mesosphere. The ionized gases form a layer within the thermosphere called the IONOSPHERE. The outermost part of Earth's atmosphere extends from about 480 km out to 960 km. This part is called the EXOSPHERE. (2)

If we count the number of layers cited in this source, we see that the atmosphere consists of exactly seven layers, just as stated in the verse.

1. Troposphere
2. Stratosphere
3. Ozonosphere
4. Mesosphere
5. Thermosphere
6. Ionosphere
7. Exosphere

Another important miracle on this subject is mentioned in the statement "(He) revealed, in every heaven, its own mandate.", in verse 12 of Sura Fussilet. In other words, in the verse, God states that He assigned each heaven its own duty. Truly, as seen in previous chapters, each one of these layers has vital duties for the benefit of human kind and all other living things on the Earth. Each layer has a particular function, ranging from forming rain to preventing harmful rays, from reflecting radio waves, to averting the harmful effects of meteors.

One of these functions, for example, is stated in a scientific source as follows:

Earth's atmosphere has 7 layers. The lowest layer is called troposphere. Rain, snow and wind only take place in the troposphere.(3)

It is a great miracle that these facts, which could not possibly be discovered without the technology of the 20th century, were explicitly stated by the Qur'an 1,400 years ago.

Double :facepalm: :facepalm:

Source? If it's that site that you first quoted for the whole seven heavens thing then I'm claiming bias.

There are five main layers, it is a scientifically accepted fact. If we want to divulge into more minor layers than the grand total is nine layers (the main five and the ozone layer, the ionosphere, the homosphere, and the planetary boundary layer). Source.
Reply 174
Charzhino
Sorry, I misreferenced that, it was supposed to be the moons ''light'', not creation:

Atharva Samhita (XIV. 1.1) expression relates:

“Divi soma adhi shrutih” ‘The moon depends upon the rays from the sun (sunlight).

anything about the creation?
how did the book come about?
Ahania
The Bhagavad Gita is one of the most ridiculously awesome things ever written down.

It is, it inspiried scientists like Einstein who is reported to have said this after reading it: ''When I read the Bhagavad-Gita and reflect about how God created this universe everything else seems so superfluous,"

However, those quotes mentioned are from the Vedas and Puraanas, not the Gita
Reply 176
sandeep90
Source? If it's that site that you first quoted for the whole seven heavens thing then I'm claiming bias.

There are five main layers, it is a scientifically accepted fact. If we want to divulge into more minor layers than the grand total is nine layers (the main five and the ozone layer, the ionosphere, the homosphere, and the planetary boundary layer). Source.

Btw, wikipedia is written by anybody
sandeep90

It doesn't really matter if there are 5 or 7 layers, it's just a subjective view on the atmosphere. The layers don't know themselves whether they are 7 or 5, you know what I mean? It's just a system we adopt to better understand the atmosphere.
Reply 178
Charzhino
It is, it inspiried scientists like Einstein who is reported to have said this after reading it: ''When I read the Bhagavad-Gita and reflect about how God created this universe everything else seems so superfluous,"

However, those quotes mentioned are from the Vedas and Puraanas, not the Gita

I've only read the Gita, it's hard to find a non sucky translation of the Vedas. Still, it totally owns. Oppenheimer's quote alone makes it as righteous as Paradise Lost or the Divine Comedy.
Reply 179
I am Muslim, and I am glad so many people are becoming Muslim and living a life of certainty and happiness.

Latest