Exeter

Scroll to see replies

I have a new question.
How do I get into Exeter??
Will do (almost) anything :ninja:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
I live near exeter, everyone else seems to like it but I don't. First, it's quite quiet. Second, it's near my house. Third, it's in the southwest.
xbabyxchelseax
I live near exeter, everyone else seems to like it but I don't. First, it's quite quiet. Second, it's near my house. Third, it's in the southwest.

Quiet= good
Southwest= good
Near your house= doesn't bother me :p:
python38
Mind if I join your thread? I'm considering applying to study Law. :smile:

Well... have you started your PS yet? I left it till the last minute (I applied to Cambridge) and had to spend about a week, with many late nights, just doing nothing but writing it. Don't be like me :p:.

I've already sent everything off and applied :o:
You're more than welcome! I was considering Law also, many a moon ago...
missaphrodite
:eek3: vegan milkshake??
That seals the deal. Srsly :biggrin:

I knew it hehe.
Well what are your grades like and what are you applying for...?
lizfairy
I knew it hehe.
Well what are your grades like and what are you applying for...?

Psychology :facepalm:

Predicted A*AB...retaking in January so should *hopefully* end up with another A instead of that B :smile:
missaphrodite
Quiet= good
Southwest= good
Near your house= doesn't bother me :p:

ahh so your not into the whole busy rush big cities have.
one thing I do like about exeter is that people are super laid back and friendly.
python38
Can't think of much for you to do, then... Exeter don't offer interviews, do they? You could always go visit, though, the pictures on the site seem awesome. :smile: Oh, and try this, it's awesome:

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/visit/campuses/virtualtours/

I was also considering Psychology many a moon ago (well, about August or so :biggrin:.) When did you really decide you wanted to study it?

Hehe we're like opposites.
I can't get the damn Exeter virtualness to work on my laptop, no idea why >.<

Hm well it's quite interesting actually. Chose my A-levels with a view to doing a psychology degree, stopped enjoying AS Psychology so thought about doing Biology/Zoology, changed my mind and wanted to do Archaeology and Ancient History, changed my mind and realised History is RIDICULOUSLY HARD and I'm far too sciency :biggrin:, began to enjoy AS Psychology again and realised it was the one with the best job prospects and then got 90%+ in the exam :smile: So really just over the summer I suppose.
python38
Have you tried waiting for a bit? It seems to take a while to load sometimes.

So university-level Psychology is quite closely related to A-level Psychology? (I always thought it was about interesting theories of the mind and stuff, though I didn't learn very much from the few books by Jung I attempted. :p:)

Well I can't speak for the BA, but as far as I know the BSc is very scientific, based around research methods, that kind of thing. Most people have a perception of psychology that is totally wrong! :p: They think of pop psychology (what we get on TV). I'm not sure how similar the A-level and the degree are, but from the looks of it, most courses are basically covering what we cover over the 2 years but in much much greater detail, and with carrying out our own studies :yes:
It is about theories but also learning about the research behind the theories, and how you can go on to do your own research, challenge the theories etc. Me, I just like learning how the mind works, it's amazing :biggrin:
Loving the course at Exeter because they've thrown some animal behaviour in there too :love:
Reply 49
missaphrodite
Wooooow thank you!!
I'm getting excited now, even though I shouldn't be without an offer :o:

If you are excited, you are motivated and if you are motivated, you will strive for your best to earn an offer for yourself. So remain excited by all means:eek3:
The virtual tour on the school website looks awesome ( you need some kind of downloading tool for viewing). The last time I was at the Cathedral, a small part of it was under renovation and spoilt the outlook of the whole architecture with scaffolding. I wonder if the work is finished yet!
Definitely go & visit, I knew as soon as I got that it was where I wanted to go! Our slgoan isn't 'Probably the best university in the world' for nothing =D Though the campus isn't at its best this year :frown:

I know a lot of people who've done/are doing Psychology and I've never heard any of them saying bad things about the course!
JoRowlingRocks
Definitely go & visit, I knew as soon as I got that it was where I wanted to go! Our slgoan isn't 'Probably the best university in the world' for nothing =D Though the campus isn't at its best this year :frown:

I know a lot of people who've done/are doing Psychology and I've never heard any of them saying bad things about the course!

Hehe great :biggrin:
I love the slogan, would definitely get one of those hoodies lol

What do you mean by "the campus isn't at its best this year"?
Theres a lot of building works on campus as they're doing a big improvement works called 'The Forum' Which looks quite good. Redoing the entirety of Devonshire House and a large portion of the library.
Sephrenia
Theres a lot of building works on campus as they're doing a big improvement works called 'The Forum' Which looks quite good. Redoing the entirety of Devonshire House and a large portion of the library.

Oh okay, no chance of them finishing by next year? Doesn't bother me all that much though :smile:
missaphrodite
Oh okay, no chance of them finishing by next year? Doesn't bother me all that much though :smile:

Taken from the Uni website on the Forum:
'Preparatory work has taken place over the vacation period, including the relocation of the Biosciences Greenhouses, some tree removal to enable construction and moving the Xpression FM studios to a new location in Devonshire House . Preparatory work will continue during the Autumn Term, mainly to do with re-routing gas and electricity mains and creating new temporary retail units. The main building work starts in January 2010 and is due to be completed in December 2011.'
http://www.exeter.ac.uk/campusvision/forum/
Reply 55
I was there just recently and the place is still looking lovely! Teaching quality I found to be variable across my two departments (some was outstanding and some was appalling) but socially it's an amazing place to be and there are plenty of hidden gems around the South West (Darts Farm, Topsham, Teignmouth etc) as well as in Exeter itself (Fore Street is where it's at :smile: ). Really enjoyed my time there (2004-7) and had a nice nostalgic wander around campus late last week :smile: Just a shame they got rid of the Porters' Lodge/Gulam (because let's face it, that guy WAS the lodge) and are selling Kilmorie...
Sephrenia
Taken from the Uni website on the Forum:
'Preparatory work has taken place over the vacation period, including the relocation of the Biosciences Greenhouses, some tree removal to enable construction and moving the Xpression FM studios to a new location in Devonshire House . Preparatory work will continue during the Autumn Term, mainly to do with re-routing gas and electricity mains and creating new temporary retail units. The main building work starts in January 2010 and is due to be completed in December 2011.'
http://www.exeter.ac.uk/campusvision/forum/

Are they kidding? As far as I can see its already started! Streatham Drive is a mess and all the culling of trees they've done by Devonshire house....this forum project is starting to annoy me and ruin the atmosphere of the campus already :frown:
sophisticated
Are they kidding? As far as I can see its already started! Streatham Drive is a mess and all the culling of trees they've done by Devonshire house....this forum project is starting to annoy me and ruin the atmosphere of the campus already :frown:

Yeah they were cutting down trees even before freshers started, but I don't think they count all the rubbish they're doing to the car park by the chapel as proper forum building work. I think this is just in preparation.
Reply 58
Angelil
Just a shame they got rid of the Porters' Lodge/Gulam (because let's face it, that guy WAS the lodge)

The Guild did a student nomination/vote thing, and Gulam was one of the suggested people put forward to the university for an honorary degree... Don't know if he'll get one or not, but he's certainly been suggested.
Reply 59
gemmalouise
Yeah they were cutting down trees even before freshers started, but I don't think they count all the rubbish they're doing to the car park by the chapel as proper forum building work. I think this is just in preparation.

I think they're doing things to that car park by the chapel so they can put a temporary shop and bank there, ready to start on the Forum proper after Christmas.

Latest

Trending

Trending