The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Scroll to see replies

So you think this forum project is bad news?

I'm worried, someone made a massive post about Exeter in the "universities to avoid thread"...saying it's really rah and everyone's sat there complaining that mummy hasn't bought them a pony! (or something like that).
I know it's just one opinion but if that person feels so strongly...
they said everyone is from private school too, is that true?
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Persipan
I think they're doing things to that car park by the chapel so they can put a temporary shop and bank there, ready to start on the Forum proper after Christmas.

This would make sense! Ah I don't know about the forum, people seem to have very mixed opinions!!

missaphrodite
I'm worried, someone made a massive post about Exeter in the "universities to avoid thread"...saying it's really rah and everyone's sat there complaining that mummy hasn't bought them a pony! (or something like that).

Okay. I have not met one person who has complained that mummy hasn't bought a pony...or anything like that.
But at the same time, you're going to get different walks of life anywhere you go.
Most of the people I have encountered aren't from private school, but we're not that different, you know! :p:
There have been an awful lot of threads like this about Exe, and honestly, it may have a bit of a reputation as an "Oxbridge-rejects" uni or whatever, but once you get here you realise that everyone's in the same boat.

GL
gemmalouise
This would make sense! Ah I don't know about the forum, people seem to have very mixed opinions!!

Okay. I have not met one person who has complained that mummy hasn't bought a pony...or anything like that.
But at the same time, you're going to get different walks of life anywhere you go.
Most of the people I have encountered aren't from private school, but we're not that different, you know! :p:
There have been an awful lot of threads like this about Exe, and honestly, it may have a bit of a reputation as an "Oxbridge-rejects" uni or whatever, but once you get here you realise that everyone's in the same boat.

GL

Heh :o:
I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend or something. It's just that my family has quite a poor financial situation (my dad's a fully qualified teacher but out of work and my mum works part time for a charity) and the lack of money is something that upsets me because it has affects on my family, but also it can be embarassing sometimes that my friends have cars and Iphones etc etc :/ my parents definitely couldn't pay for private schooling. So if someone started complaining about their difficult lives and they were rich, or they started taking the mick out of me, I don't think I could stand it. This was the only reason I was worried about coming across a majority population of private school students!
Reply 63
Plenty of people at Exeter are not from private school, so don't worry!
Just remember it cuts both ways - I didn't attend a private school, but am still in a fairly fortunate position financially. Perfectly innocuous comments that I made would be seized upon and I would be made to feel bad just because of an accident of birth (how is it my fault that my parents have worked hard and were able to see me through uni?!). An example would be how one of my second-year housemates was complaining about how she didn't like the taste of the tap water, and so I suggested that she bought a water filter (doesn't have to be anything expensive like a Brita - they all do the same job) as it would make the water taste a bit better. She knew I had one and made a really catty comment along the lines of "Oh, well, we can't all afford that".
So certainly nobody should be nasty to you because of any lack of wealth, but equally, make sure that you don't set upon people for the opposite reason (not that I'm suggesting you would - just saying).
missaphrodite

Letting one person's opinion put you off a University would be a very very foolish thing to do :cool:

Surely you must realise that it is impossible for everyone at Exeter to be "rah" and expecting ponies from their Mummy? Or that everyone is from private school? I can't even imagine the discrimination accusations that Exeter would be faced with if that were the case. I haven't closely encountered ANYONE like that....all my friends have the same sort of background to me, or some are slightly worse or better off. What people don't seem to get about University is that you inevitably ARE going to meet people from different backgrounds to yourself. It would be impossible to absorb yourself into a community of thousands and not do so.
Reply 65
missaphrodite

Us private school kids are just as scared of you as you are of us :wink:

I'm kidding, but seriously, going to a private school or having better off parents doesn't make someone nasty or judgmental, it just makes them lucky. You'll meet just as many nasty people who don't have any money at all I'm sure.
Sam o0o
Us private school kids are just as scared of you as you are of us :wink:

I'm kidding, but seriously, going to a private school or having better off parents doesn't make someone nasty or judgmental, it just makes them lucky. You'll meet just as many nasty people who don't have any money at all I'm sure.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect anyone to be nasty or judgemental just because of their background :smile:
I go to the best school in my city- it's actually better in the league tables than the schools that people pay for! I feel a bit awkward around the rich girls at school but luckily they're really lovely.As long as it's not a big issue at uni, and other people don't make a big issue of it, it should be fine.
Angelil
Plenty of people at Exeter are not from private school, so don't worry!
Just remember it cuts both ways - I didn't attend a private school, but am still in a fairly fortunate position financially. Perfectly innocuous comments that I made would be seized upon and I would be made to feel bad just because of an accident of birth (how is it my fault that my parents have worked hard and were able to see me through uni?!). An example would be how one of my second-year housemates was complaining about how she didn't like the taste of the tap water, and so I suggested that she bought a water filter (doesn't have to be anything expensive like a Brita - they all do the same job) as it would make the water taste a bit better. She knew I had one and made a really catty comment along the lines of "Oh, well, we can't all afford that".
So certainly nobody should be nasty to you because of any lack of wealth, but equally, make sure that you don't set upon people for the opposite reason (not that I'm suggesting you would - just saying).

Nooo I wouldn't :smile:
Ha I'm kind of guilty of that. Because my boyfriend says the water from the tap at my house doesn't taste very nice, and he uses a Brita filter at home, I'm always saying "well some people can't afford those because there's nothing wrong with tap water and we need to be able to buy essentials!" I've never had a filter so I don't feel the need for one, some people do and that's fine. I only make an issue with it because I'm jealous that his family have more money than mine, and because he complains about the taste of cups of tea at my house! :biggrin:
I mentioned in another post, missaphrodite, that I'm from a fairly poor background- single parent family, my mum earns less than £10,000 a year and I went to a pretty rubbish school. (My school's Facebook group is '.. might be bottom of the league tables but I still love it'!)

So no, it's not all rahs at all, most of us are normal =P Actually my situation worked out pretty well for me, I get maximum loan/grant/bursary etc. so I have more disposable income than most of my friends!
JoRowlingRocks
I mentioned in another post, missaphrodite, that I'm from a fairly poor background- single parent family, my mum earns less than £10,000 a year and I went to a pretty rubbish school. (My school's Facebook group is '.. might be bottom of the league tables but I still love it'!)

So no, it's not all rahs at all, most of us are normal =P Actually my situation worked out pretty well for me, I get maximum loan/grant/bursary etc. so I have more disposable income than most of my friends!

Yeah that must be pretty cool, I think I will too :smile: it's not a single parent family but my dad's not working at the moment but he's got some temp for January.
hey, i'm in the same situation as you, missaphrodite. I have been accepted but do not know where to go if exter or nottingham??? I have visited nottingham but not exeter; i will therefore have to decide without knowing the place because i live in argentina......

what would you recommend, nottingham or exeter????

pd: it's for business and management
exeter!
I live nearby :P

Latest

Trending

Trending