The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

GdotL
You'd be surprised at the sheer number of people at med school in it for the prestige, family honour and money. The interview process really does not do enough filtering...

so what if it doesn't?

doctors could, and never did and never will, give a **** about their patients.
Fat-Love
i know scrubs is a pretty cool show but i gotta tell you it's a pretty bad reason to do medicine - though it'd probably be the only reason i'd do medicine - and if being a doctor didn't turn out like scrubs then everyday i'd devote my life to making it like scrubs - first thing i'd do at uni is look for my "little brown bear"
:woo:

Scrubs may be immesnse, but for the reason to do medicine, its all about House:yes: ......unless you become the Dr. Cox
Reply 22
rajandkwameali
so what if it doesn't?

I'm sure there are a few who do and will care.
Ultimately, as long as the job is done and done well, it's not really an issue, but those who enjoy the job and have a pleasant manner give a better psychological boost to the patients.
It's such an oversubscribed profession, the ones lucky enough to study medicine should surely be the ones who can combine both the capability and the enthusiasm for the job......

Anyway hun, seeing as I won't be the one depressed spending my life doing a job I don't particularly enjoy, I don't really give a sh1t
Reply 23
So that I can see naked bodies all the time and feel better about mine.

I kid.
This thread is going to end up annoying me.

So I'll stop before I start.

But one thing peeps, if you're going into med to 'not waste your 5A*s', then your going to live very unhappy lives. Money can only buy what you want, not what you need. If med is going to be a career which you're passive towards then you'll soon find yourself coming into work, screaming at the kids in paeds, and terrifying doctors beneath you into becoming just as bitter and twisted as you yourself.

But you'll drive home in your 6series.

Good luck.
Reply 25
The respect, that's probably the big one for me :biggrin:
mikey ugg
tbh if anyone wants to be a doctor mostly because of money, prestige or whatever, then they are going to have an awful time at uni/ in their career.

You'd think that but it isn't always the case. There are a lot of clever people out there who can and will do things just for the money and be very happy at doing such.
Reply 27
Lack of imagination when it came to the UCAS form.....
Reply 28
xSkyFire
The respect, that's probably the big one for me :biggrin:

Hmmm, that's a tough one to quantify. While it's still seen as a prestigious profession by the lay public, the red carpet isn't rolled out for your arrival.

I'd call it more of an honour and a privilege, although it doesn't always feel that way when you're learning about endoplasmic reticulum :p:
Reply 29
rajandkwameali
so what if it doesn't?

Are you trolling or are you a medicine applicant?
so i can grope huge knockers and stare at vag
money, better job security
I watched an anime. Seriously. It was called "Mushishi".

But I swear I'm honestly not doing it for the prestige/money.

That anime... rocks.
Reply 33
most of these reasons are friggin nuts (not you above, me, macca, i mean collectively).

and most unfathomable of all is becos a lot of you feel it makes you special and cool to be a dcotor...its nothing of the sort....its doesnt make you exclusive, yet what motivates you to do it is the mistaken beleif that it does! circular reasoning - madness!!

its also a pretty crap job that is alieviated by good job prospects and pay, but lets not kid ourselves that what we believe is anyfing based in reality. most of the public fink we are largely public school pricks who were too limited to pick anyfing else (not that far from the truth for some of us).

i'm doing it for the money and to remain in 'ealthcare, and becos i'm not smart enough to remain in nussing and move any further up the ladder.
Reply 34
I'm rude, selfish, arrogant, motivated by money, can never admit I've made a mistake and couldn't care less about people dying.

People told me that being a doctor was the only career where that was a plus ...
Reply 35
The only job which I think is worth studying so much for.
Reply 36
Chicks, Money, Power, and Chicks.
I like the science behind it. That's about it. :laugh:
Reply 38
Money, Easy hours, Easy job (aiming for GP btw), can take a year or two out to work really easily, stable job, the 'Dr so and so' bit, so on and so forth. Plus I'd be a very good one.
I am desperately trying to avoid the phrase ''it was my calling'' but it is true. At the stage of application most people don't really know why they want to be doctors, it just seemed a good idea at the time.

Latest

Trending

Trending