The Student Room Group

Converting CIE A-Level grades to 4.0 Scale GPA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by studyboy1992
first of all thanks for this thread its really helpful as i wish to be going to a law school in america someday.

But correct me if I'm mistaken but my a level predictions are BBC i know there not the best I'm currently raising them to A's.

But with BBC would my gpa work out as the following;
3.7+1=4.7
3.7+1=4.7
3+1=4

13.4/3 = 4.46? if this is the case is this a good gpa?

that's a VERY good gpa, the MAXIMUM usa schools consider is 4.5, so that's great
Original post by Daniel666
hello...
I have D in maths(A), d in General Paper(As) and e in computing(As). I calculated my GPA like you said above. But i got 3.225... is that correct??
Is that a good GPA?

that's an OK gpa. you probably will have to work harder to get into a really great schools, but you could go to one of the lower UC's, I think.
Reply 42
Original post by Mahran
Hi everyone, I have seen this question asked many times without any proper answers, so I thought this should be the right moment for me to end such dilemma (Yes, I am a very smart guy, thanks :yes: ).

First of all, what is the equivalent of "A-Level" courses in the US universities?

We get such an answer from the British Council website, the OFFICIAL ORIGINAL AUTHENTICATED website, here:
http://www.britishcouncil.org/usa-education-uk-glossary.htmGlossary#_a_

If you don't want to open the links:
Exams taken by English, Northern Irish and Welsh students in order to gain entrance to UK university, similar to Advanced Placement (AP) tests.

So A Level in UK=AP in USA

Now, how to calculate the CIE (A Level) GPA?
From the OFFICIAL ORIGINAL AUTHENTICATED CIE website, here:
http://www.cie.org.uk/docs/recognition/Calculating%20GPAs%20for%20IGCSE.pdf
Oo, but that is for IGCSE, not A Levels?
Oh, you mean the O Level courses? never mind.
Forget about the A Level for a while, and let's see the PDF:
CIE US
A,A* A
B A-
C B
D C+
E C
F D+
G D
U F (FAIL)
Alright, now the Numerical Values for the above US alpha grades are as follows (from the same PDF):
A 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
(This is seems to be the standard US values, I have found them on many webstes, here forexample:
http://www.ncu.edu.tw/~joshua/gpa_charts.htm)
Therefore we have:
CIE Numerical US
A* 4.0
A 4.0
B 3.7
C 3.0
D 2.3
E 2.0
F 1.3
G 1.0 (Least possible passing US Numerical Grade, I guess)
Alright till now?
Now what is so special about AP (which are the equivalent to A Level) courses when calculating the GPA?
Let's take the "OAK PARK HIGH SCHOOL" for example, how do they add A Level courses to the GPA?
Here:
http://www.ophs.opusd.k12.ca.us/gpa_&_class_rank.htm
If you don't want to open the link:

Got it everybody?

THAT SIMPLY, MEANS THAT EVERY AP COURSE (EQUIVALENT TO A LEVEL COURSE) RECEIVES 1 EXTRA POINT!!!

For example, If I got A in an A-Level Mathematics, that would have the Numerical value of 5 (the O Level numerical value of A=4, add 1 extra point, 4+1=5), Got it?

Another Example:
I studied (for real) 8 O Level subjects, my Grades were as follows:
Mathematics A*
Chemistry A
Accounting A
Physics B
Biology B
IT B
Arabic C
English C
That would be a GPA of (4+4+4+3.7+3.7+3.7+3.0+3.0)/8=3.64
(That wat of calculation is from the above CIE pdf file, nothing I came by if from myself)
Then I studied 2 A Level Subjects:
Mathematics B
Chemistry C
They would have the numerical values of 3.7+3.0 respectively, plus 1 Extra Point for each of them, that would be 4.7+4.0 respectively.
Then we calculate the GPA:
(4+4+4+3.7+3.7+3.7+3.0+3.0+4.7+4)/10=3.78

GOT IT everyone?

(No wonder my IQ is 144, that's 2 points less than the US president)

Okay so is this still valid today in 2014? Also, why did u add your O level GPA to your A Level GPA?
Reply 43
hello
my name is ashiq
i completed my O level and A level from british council.in O level i have 7 subjects,half from IGCSE AND half GCE
my grades were
ACCOUNTING - B(IGCSE)
ENGLISH - D(GCE)
BANGLA - A(GCE)
MATHEMATICS A -B(GCE)
ECONOMICS -D(GCE)
COMMERCE -E(GCE)
PURE MATHEMATICS -D(IGCSE)

WILL THEY COUNT ALL OF THE 7 SEVEN SUBJECTS OR THE BEST FIVE OF THEM?
AND i completed A Levels
With Accounting (C) and MATHEMATICS (E)

now i am planning to apply in US universities so can you say what is my cumalative GPA?
Reply 44
hello my name is ashiq
i completed my O levels with half IGCSE AND GCE

UNDER GCE

COMMERCE -E
ENGLISH -D
ECONOMICS-D
BANGLA -A

UNDER IGCSE

ACCOUNTING -B
PURE MATHEMATICS -D
MATHEMATICS A -B

AND I COMPLETED A LEVELS

ACCOUNTING - C

MATHEMATICS -E
Reply 45
Original post by roker
hello my name is ashiq
i completed my O levels with half IGCSE AND GCE

UNDER GCE

COMMERCE -E
ENGLISH -D
ECONOMICS-D
BANGLA -A

UNDER IGCSE

ACCOUNTING -B
PURE MATHEMATICS -D
MATHEMATICS A -B

WILL THEY TAKE ALL 7 SEVEN SUBJECTS OR BEST 5 SUBJECTS?IF THEY DOES WAT WILL BE MY CUMMULATOIVE GPA?

AND I COMPLETED A LEVELS

ACCOUNTING - C

MATHEMATICS -E

now i am planning to apply to some universities in USA so what will be my gpa can i apply?
Reply 46
I have a question though. What if we retake a CIE exam? Let's say I got a D in one session and turned it into a D in the next session. Does the D still count in my GPA?
Reply 47
Original post by imadkhan
I have a question though. What if we retake a CIE exam? Let's say I got a D in one session and turned it into a D in the next session. Does the D still count in my GPA?

Yes, the D will definitely count but it won't count towards your GPA as the colleges won't calculate a GPA for you as your applying using A Levels. They'll just see your D among the other grades on your transcript. Ignore the whole GPA conversion that is being talked about on this thread - let me repeat myself, they won't convert your grades to a GPA, they'll judge your grades based on your high school transcript (so IGCSE, AS and A2 predictions).
Can somebody tell me what would be my GPA?I got 7 Bs and a C in GCE O level
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey can somebody tell me what would be my GPA of O level?I got 7 Bs and a C
Original post by ABDUL_AHAD05
Hey can somebody tell me what would be my GPA of O level?I got 7 Bs and a C

You don't have a GPA, simple.

Don't convert your O Levels into a gpa because they don't mean the same thing. A GPA is the culmination of work throughout the 4 years of an American high school, what you have is a certificate with your stated grades.

If you are applying to the states leave the GPA section blank as the admissions team would know how to deal with your O-Level qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah but doesn't O level grades count in weighted GPA?
Reply 52
Original post by ABDUL_AHAD05
Yeah but doesn't O level grades count in weighted GPA?

Nope. The whole GPA thing doesn't apply to applicants that aren't applying from a school with an American curriculum - you aren't so ignore everything that is being said on this thread about converting your grades into a GPA. It doesn't work like that and as the above poster pointed out, admission officers know how to assess the grades of applicants that apply with O levels, GCSE etc (i.e. not by converting your grades into a GPA). Got it?
Yeah I got it thanks mate :smile:
Hi, just gone through the all the posts...aren't AS subjects at A*/A=4+0.5? A Levels at A*/A = 4+1. AS subjects are obviously not the same as A2.
Reply 55
Original post by kookie2go
Hi, just gone through the all the posts...aren't AS subjects at A*/A=4+0.5? A Levels at A*/A = 4+1. AS subjects are obviously not the same as A2.

No, there isn't any way to convert AS/A2 grades to GPA :rolleyes: That isn't how it works at all (not referring to your GPA conversion, just converting grades into GPA, in general). Your application will be reviewed by a regional officer who understands a level/IGCSE grades and thus, they'll assess you based on your grades and won't convert your grades into a GPA to asses them.
Reply 56
When you calculated your Alevel score, why did you do so many numbers? why is it not 4.7+4? two Alevels, two values, no?
Hey everyone thank you for the help, but i still havent gotten the hang of this thing so can someone just calculate my GPA for me anyway? For my IGCSEs I got 4 A*s and 4 As. What would that be, GPA wise?
Original post by reginaphalange12
Hey everyone thank you for the help, but i still havent gotten the hang of this thing so can someone just calculate my GPA for me anyway? For my IGCSEs I got 4 A*s and 4 As. What would that be, GPA wise?

Leave the GPA bit blank, there's no need whatsoever to put one in if you're doing A-levels/GCSEs. Admissions officers at US unis will know how to interpret your qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey everyone, I'm only doing my AS Levels now and have a year to go before my A-Levels are done, but I was wondering if anyone could calculate my IGCSE gpa? My grades were
A*, A*, A*, A*, A, A, A, A. Thank you.

And also, I read somewhere that in US grading scales, 93-100% is A, 90-92% is A-, 87-89% is B+, 83-86% is B- and so on, but the above IGCSE grades are based on the standard 90-100 is A*, 80-89 is A, and so forth. Some light, anyone?

Hannah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending