The Student Room Group

Contract Law....help needed asap :(

Hiya, iv been stuggeling with this essay question for some time now and i thought it was time to ask for some help.
Any advice will be appreciated...

Barry and kelly buy a car from sandra at a price of $90,000, it is agreed that they owe the price jointly. When no payment is being made at all, sandra asks Kelly to pay the $90,000. Kelly tells sandra that she is unable to pay the whole sum but she will be grateful to pay half of it as long as she owes no more than that. Sandra answers 'thats alright as long as there is a chance to get the over half from barry'. Shortly after this, kelly pays $45,000. However a few months later, barry who has no surviving relatives dies penniless. Sandra asks kelly to pay the remaining sum, but kelly refusus.

What is the best way to advice Sandra...is the contract void?
I know it is a very long scenario but it would be great to have some feedback.
As you can imagine, im quite desperate.
Reply 1
lol thanks im new to TSR...I would keep that in mind for future reference.
Ape Gone Insane
Next time be sure to post this in the Law forum as you would get more help there.

Help summoned. :smile:

:borat:

Same question posted at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=22048035

Its essentially a "is there consideration" question. Which also means that you need to think about economic duress and (crucially) promissory estoppel.

Latest