The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
We shouldn't have even signed the Lisbon Treaty. Why are our leaders so hell-bent on surrendering our sovereignty over, what are we? French?
We shouldnt have ratified the Treaty ever, but since we have, yes - even though im conservative, having the oresident from britain could only be helpful
e-lover
We shouldn't have even signed the Lisbon Treaty. Why are our leaders so hell-bent on surrendering our sovereignty over, what are we? French?

Nicely done
President of the European Council
I want to find out more about the other proposed candidates first.
Reply 5
It's more of a chairman than a president though, really.
Reply 6
Yes, yes and yes.
Reply 7
No, he should be arrested for war crimes and crimes against humanity
Reply 8
I wish I understood wtf you are talking about :smile:
Reply 9
Like someone said in the other thread, his chances have receded a lot.
Although I'm conservative I'd like to see Tony Blair as president..simply because he's British. As for whether he's the right person for the job, I think regardless of his personal political views he'll jump on the EU bandwagon and adopt the EU style policies.
I'm fairly ambivalent, TBH. It seems unlikely he will get the post now despite lobbying from Whitehall, since other EU powers have better candidates.

He still has a broader base of support than Gordon Brown does here, though, and he is a much better politician. It would also be great to have a Brit at the top of the EU, and might prove to other states that we do mean business. I just wish it could be a politician that most of the country actually liked.
No the man did everything in his power to ruin Britain. He is scum!
Playboy King
Although I'm conservative I'd like to see Tony Blair as president..simply because he's British. As for whether he's the right person for the job, I think regardless of his personal political views he'll jump on the EU bandwagon and adopt the EU style policies.

I've always thought that Blair cares more for Blair than Britain.
We might as well have a Frenchy
Reply 14
BTW has Blair even confirmed his candidacy yet? I think seeing as though Italy, Spain, France and a shaky UK are all backing him fully so far, there must be a reason why they think he is the right man 4 the job...
Reply 15
Leila_
No, he should be arrested for war crimes and crimes against humanity

This. He shouldn't even be a candidate, me thinks.
Reply 16
Yes, Partisan loyalties aside Europe needs a strong figurehead, someone who is recognised - some obscure benelux leader would be largely ignored...
Reply 17
Blair won't get it, it's just British media spinning it out of control and making him look like he's deffinatley going to get it, and as we know, he isn't (thank God, he had Britian and how many wars did he get us into?)
He is nothing but vile scum, and this whole EU superstate will never work with the vast array of languages and cultures.

Switzerland has frozen joining and Norway has refused twice, both rich and prosperous countries.

Oh did I mention that we did not get a refferendum and instead those blairites voted for us?
Reply 18
Tony Blair is honest at best and a cold hearted liar at worst.
He would personally destroy Britain if he benefited him.

So on that basis, he makes a great European president, however, he is a disgrace.
Reply 19
Solid_Snake_100
even though im conservative, having the oresident from britain could only be helpful

Really? It "could only" be helpful? So you'd happily support, say, Nick Griffin's candidature for President of the European Council, would you?

I suspect not, however I am mocking you rhetorically because your suggestion was so bloody stupid. Indeed, it wasn't even a simple error of logic, it disguises a rather silly nationalism which I noticed was even being put forward by John Sargent on Question Time last week - that somehow nationalism is more important than anything else in this. What utter crap.

It's a bit like suggesting I should support Gordon Brown over David Cameron because I'm Scottish. Sucks to that.

Latest

Trending

Trending