The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I hate the nouveau-riche. That's not a crime.
Don't think people hate expensive things cause they cant afford them. People desire these items more often than not.
I think people are antagonistic to people with expensive things, because they can't afford them and the other person(s) can
Reply 3
I find that people who are not rich actually appreciate what it takes to get these things. I am not rich, not in the slightest and I don't hate expensive things I just don't consider them important to my life.
Reply 4
I think often they just don't value expensive things, so they would say "Why would you spend £xxx on __?!" But if someone verbally abuses someone else because of what they can afford then that is obv jealousy.
Bagration
I hate the nouveau-riche. That's not a crime.

I don't really understand how you can foster a logical 'hatred' of what are effectively "self made persons" :s-smilie: (Unless you're referring to an older/more specific use of NR vs. the 21st century one?)
Reply 6
I can afford plenty of new technological gadgets, my bank balance is more than comfortable and increasing. I have no intention of frittering it on inane crap though.
Reply 7
Isn't that a generalisation? Who said people hate expensive things? Like someone else mentioned, they could be jealous of people who own expensive things but that doesn't mean they hate what they can't have..
Reply 8
DavidR1991
I don't really understand how you can foster a logical 'hatred' of what are effectively "self made persons" :s-smilie: (Unless you're referring to an older/more specific use of NR vs. the 21st century one?)
People who do not know how to act appropriate to their position and who lack any kind of pedigree irritate me. I don't refer simply to the concept of people acquiring wealth, that's necessary and fundamental to our economy -- it's how people behave and act with that wealth that irritates me (often).
i dislike designer clothes because they are ****
Reply 10
I 'hate' that people sucker themselves into a false perception that owning an excessive amount of material goods is the key to happiness in life, they're building stupid expectations only to get knocked down.
And no; it's like saying you're mad at 'God' because you don't believe in him, it doesn't make a lot of sense.
No but alot of people I know downgrade the "quality" of a product because it's too expensive, as if the price makes it any less useful/pretty etc.
I don't think people hate expensive things because they're expensive, but they hate them because they're a waste of money.

I'm not talking about all expensive things here. Some things you an see the value of, like an expensive car or nice tv, etc. Other things like designer clothes have vastly less value than they are sold for - you're paying for the label not the clothes.

In this sense i'd hate them because i'd feel i could do so much better with the money these people have wasted on overhyped expensive crap.
Reply 13
Bagration
People who do not know how to act appropriate to their position and who lack any kind of pedigree irritate me. I don't refer simply to the concept of people acquiring wealth, that's necessary and fundamental to our economy -- it's how people behave and act with that wealth that irritates me (often).

It's funny how people who say this only ever consider themselves at least equal to or above the upper-middle classes. 'Pedigree' and 'breeding' are dead ideas.
Reply 14
Who hates expensive things?
yeah women really hate me
Reply 16
danadd9
I 'hate' that people sucker themselves into a false perception that owning an excessive amount of material goods is the key to happiness in life, they're building stupid expectations only to get knocked down.
And no; it's like saying you're mad at 'God' because you don't believe in him, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

One question...

Have you ever been rich enough to determine from first hand experience that money will not make you happy?

if not, then you really are in no position to determine that.

Ask any millionaire, tell them, would you like to go back and live a poor life.

be expecting an answer such as "**** off".
A lot of nice things in life are expensive. If I saw an amazing dress that was expensive and i could afford it I'd buy it and love it. But if I could afford to buy an expensive dress that i didn't like I'd buy a cheaper one that looked really cool and good at me. Money or how much money someone has doesn;t matter to me in at all. I always buy things that i like, be it expensive or cheap as long as i love it that's that.
tbf even if i was rich i wouldnt buy expensive things
tinktinktinkerbell
tbf even if i was rich i wouldnt buy expensive things

They all say that, and then once that money enters their hand.....:rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending