The Student Room Group

How did you get a Note taker? (Student was asking me in fornt of everyone else)

Hi I wanted to ask anyone if they had a student coming upto in class saying "how did you get a note taker?" when I had to give my copy of cream paper document to my note taker to hightlight and mark off. I was quite shocked and slightly embarassed by it and last year I was bullied due to it. I have had note takers for a while at uni and this was I think 5th thime now that I had been asked. How do I get around this problem.

Scroll to see replies

Answer the question in some form and then perhaps they'll get bored asking. You don't have to go into detail - just say something like student services arranged it because you get so engrossed in listening in lectures that it distracts you from taking notes.
Reply 2
In addition how do you enable a note taker to sit near me ie 1 row ahead of me as he always sits up at at the front of classes and I need to give all his sheets from the back to front and its quite embarassing really to walk all up there and give it to him when the lecturer is talking etc. I asked him if he can sit 1 row ahead of me as I alwys sit at the back row and he said no! annoying isnt it and then after the class some one how did u get a note taker.
Tell them to stfu and mind their own business.

If they get mouthy, use this for inspiration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNdFN7_hbIQ

Sorry, if i've offended you in anyway. But seriously, I think if anyone bullies you for this kind of thing deserves at least a slap.
Reply 4
hmm I think that was quite harsh tbh as I am not a bullying type of person! But it is quite funny though
Reply 5
What's wrong with someone asking you a question? I'm sure they didn't mean to embarass you. Lately I asked a woman I know in a wheelchair what adaptations she has at home and she got all arsey with me when I was expressing a genuine interest in her life.
Reply 6
Why don't you just answer them with why you have a note taker? It's actually quite interesting to me as well, I sorta want to know why you have a note taker. If it's embarassing or you just don't wanna say, tell them that you don't want to say. What did you do? Just not reply?
Holiday
hmm I think that was quite harsh tbh as I am not a bullying type of person! But it is quite funny though

Glad you found it funny.

Also, even though I can't put myself in your shoes completely. You should just ignore any stupid comments/questions, not literally - but just be passive about them and don't take it seriously if someone is being stupid/ignorant. Take it easy, laugh it off. I have to take **** from people sometimes (for completley different reasons), but i'm no longer in a position where I can do what I want to them or what I would have done to them not so long ago. But I have found just laughing it off and joking about it works a lot better and you end up getting to know the person too.

My 2 pence for whatever its worth
Reply 8
No I just said Im special and my mate came out with we're lazy ppl with dumb brains etc. which is quite funny by the way what do i say to my note taker as I like someone near me as I don't need to say give them anything at the front of class.
Reply 9
I agree with the couple of posts before me because I wouldn't think asking how you got a note taker was intended to embarass you. Maybe they were just curious or wondering if they could get one. Or wondering where to go to become a note taker (i hear it's fairly well paid) Something like 'the university arranged it because my dyslexia/hearing difficulties/wrist problems make it difficult for me to write my own notes' would suffice.
Just answer the question?
It's none of their business really.
Reply 12
how do u know thats its well paid i think its £10
Was it the way they asked the question or do you just not like answering it?
Holiday

I think its slightly more once you've done more training. I've seen adverts on my unis jobs site. Either way it's a decent rate and even better if you're in the lecture anyway.
Reply 15
Holiday
In addition how do you enable a note taker to sit near me ie 1 row ahead of me as he always sits up at at the front of classes and I need to give all his sheets from the back to front and its quite embarassing really to walk all up there and give it to him when the lecturer is talking etc. I asked him if he can sit 1 row ahead of me as I alwys sit at the back row and he said no! annoying isnt it and then after the class some one how did u get a note taker.

Can you go and sit near the front? If that's impossible, I suppose you'll need to ask your note taker who makes the rules or who has the power to overrule them.
Reply 16
Holiday
No I just said Im special and my mate came out with we're lazy ppl with dumb brains etc. which is quite funny by the way what do i say to my note taker as I like someone near me as I don't need to say give them anything at the front of class.

Saying that you were special probably wasn't the best idea imo (it kinda sounds to me like you were joking around, especially when your friend said what he said too.) If it happens again, just tell them, or say "It's personal." Job done. I don't understand what you mean about the whole "giving stuff to your note taker" whats the point of giving them things? I thought they were taking the notes? You could just wait till the lecture is over and give them what you need to give them then, or arrive early and make sure you sit next to them.
Holiday

Its £10 an hour for hand written and £12 an hour for typed/e-notes.

OP every note taker Ive had have said the Resource Centre that they work for make sure theyre confidential so you should ask yours to wait until everyones gone or that youll sign the sheet at the resource centre - ours dont hand theirs in until the end of the month. If he says no again to something you can ask your resource centre to make him because its all about making it easier for you and theyre supposed to be inconspicuous so you arent made to feel different.

Ive never had anyone ask me about mine but how is it embarrassing? You need the note taker and its none of their business so just say 'Well the funders accepted my reasons I dont see why I have to put it past you'
Meliae
Can you go and sit near the front? If that's impossible, I suppose you'll need to ask your note taker who makes the rules or who has the power to overrule them.

They work for the resource centre and effectively the student so they dont have the power and should be as discreet as poss.
Mann18
Saying that you were special probably wasn't the best idea imo (it kinda sounds to me like you were joking around, especially when your friend said what he said too.) If it happens again, just tell them, or say "It's personal." Job done. I don't understand what you mean about the whole "giving stuff to your note taker" whats the point of giving them things? I thought they were taking the notes? You could just wait till the lecture is over and give them what you need to give them then, or arrive early and make sure you sit next to them.

Theyre employed so there are timesheets etc. the student needs to do so they can prove they took notes.