The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
alexterry
Reason

So you can't, then?
cpj1987
How do you determine which degrees are 'joke' ones?

Someone like Jeremy Clarkson would do a fine job.
It would be done like a court hearing:

"Your Honour, I present to you the case, that 'Course X' is a micky-mouse degree. How do you find it, guilty or not guilty?"

"GUILTY - Send it down!"
cpj1987
So you can't, then?

There are plenty of courses offered by unis and paid for by the tax payer that are quite obviously economically unefficient which I think, in the current climate, should not be paid for by the tax payer.
I could do a UCAS search and find courses like Marrionette and Puppetry studies. No obvious benefits to society or the economy... or the individual. Reason would say get it out the way because some twonk is going to sign up for it.
As a lib dem, I agree that course fees should be abolished but only for undergraduate courses which pose some kind of economic advantage.
Reply 103
alexterry
There are plenty of courses offered by unis and paid for by the tax payer that are quite obviously economically unefficient which I think, in the current climate, should not be paid for by the tax payer.
I could do a UCAS search and find courses like Marrionette and Puppetry studies. No obvious benefits to society or the economy... or the individual. Reason would say get it out the way because some twonk is going to sign up for it.
As a lib dem, I agree that course fees should be abolished but only for undergraduate courses which pose some kind of economic advantage.

Fair enough. I disagree, personally. I don't see how a degree itself is economically viable - it's the person that matters, and yes, some degrees tend to guide more of those who've studied them to more economically beneficial jobs, but I think that such things should be judged on an individual basis, not a collective one.
reduce the amount of funding for the unsuitable degrees and put it into the all the traditional and sensible degrees thus making more places, creating better research for those subjects. Im thinking of the students who work particularly hard to get into medicine and don't get places anywhere.
Reply 105
I'm applying for Education and I've pretty much wanted to do it pretty much all my life.
But its getting so hard to get onto a course. Most students are doing psychology and sociology and getting easily onto the course where I'm doing the core subjects such as maths and science (Chemistry to be exact). I understand how these have relevence but I dont think they should get on the course on this alone as usually most of them have failed maths and english. It is rather unfair.
Reply 106
nolongerhearthemusic
University entrance requirements? It's hardly the same as choosing "who should live and die."

Not everyone wants to go to university, but I don't think anyone who does is denied it altogether.
Perhaps the kind of university you can go to. But everyone who manages to get some GCSEs and A levels (which isn't too difficult, just to get passes) can go to a university. They have to want to go, but I think everyone who wants to can get a few minimum grades or BTECs.
I honestly believe that now with the way things are government funding should only be available for certain degrees. Maths, science, English, history, languages, medicine, etc.
Smack
I honestly believe that now with the way things are government funding should only be available for certain degrees. Maths, science, English, history, languages, medicine, etc.

Thats what i said, its just logical isn't it really? rather than diluting the funds down, focus funds on more places for the students, research, lecturers etc for such degrees as english, history, languages, medicine, economics, engineering
cpj1987
Fair enough. I disagree, personally. I don't see how a degree itself is economically viable - it's the person that matters, and yes, some degrees tend to guide more of those who've studied them to more economically beneficial jobs, but I think that such things should be judged on an individual basis, not a collective one.

Economic theory suggests knowledge can be an element of Human Capital. Only relevent knowledge however has any value to be used capital, to be invested into something. Yes I agree in an ideal world people should be judged on their individual and varied merits but we don't live in an ideal world we live in a big dirty capitalist state where everything is turned into a comparable figure.

*cue beethovens 5th*
Reply 110
As for student numbers, this country's traffic cone makers must be coining it.
Reply 111
cpj1987
Why should degrees have something at the end? What's wrong with studying for the sake of education?

The fact that it's subsidised by the taxpayer.
Reply 112
shrep
The fact that it's subsidised by the taxpayer.

Fair enough.

Latest

Trending

Trending