The Student Room Group

Ask Powerlifter - Gents and gals of all goals welcome

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rainy
Roast beef, lamb, or pork this weekend? I'd throw in a curveball with venison maybe, but it's out of season anyway, and chicken's ****ing boring. I'm thinking lamb.

All 3 brah
Original post by dosvidaniya
What is a usual ratio for squats/deads/bench ? I know it will varie between person to person but I've never seen a set guideline. I'm 5'10" and 12 stone if that makes a difference.

Usually people are classed beginners until they can do a BW bench, 2xBW for deads, and 1.5xBW (up until 2xBW) for squats. Does depend entirely on the person though.
Original post by Rainy
Roast beef, lamb, or pork this weekend? I'd throw in a curveball with venison maybe, but it's out of season anyway, and chicken's ****ing boring. I'm thinking lamb.

Totally agree - to be honest Lamb is one of my fav meats.
What do you think of this routine Powerlifter? Mostly adapted from Westside/WS4SB:

ME Bench

Bench - Work up to 3-5RM
Tricep Pulldown - 3x8-12
Front raise - 3x8-12 Super-set w/
Rear Delt Fly - 3x8-12
One-arm DB Row - 3x8-12
Curlz - 3x8-12

ME Squat

Squat - Work up to 3-5RM
Romanian Deadlift - 3x8-12
45 degree back raise - 3x8-12
Abs

Repetition Upper

Bench - 4x12-15 (50-60% of 1RM)
Dips - 3xFailure (Heavy, so reps usually 3-6)
Military Press - Work up to 3-5RM
Pull Ups - 3xFailure (alternating between narrow/wide etc.)
Curlz - 3x8-12

Something Lower :P

Deadlift - Work up to 3-5RM
Bulgarian Split Squat - 3x6-12
45 degree back raise - 3x8-12
Abs

Any constructive criticism is welcome.
Looks decent to be fair- have a run with it and see how it goes
If I can do 10 body weight dips, should I wear a weighted belt on the first (and maybe second set)?
Following one of the billy Starr 5x5 variants. Soon i will be starting a ripping schedule. To keep it short and sweet my diet is pretty much gonna be high protein/fat and extremely low carbs (the fats are pretty high). my question is, will i be able to sustain the weights i am using by continuing with this routine? obviously some strength loss is likely but could you give me a rough idea of how much and any tips on keeping it to a minimum?

heres the routine incase it helps.

Monday (Heavy Day)

Back Squats: 5 x 5 ramping to limit
Bench Press: 5 x 5 ramping to limit
Deadlifts: 5 x 5 ramping to limit or Bent-Over Rows: 5 x 5 ramping to limit
Incline Dumbbell Press: 2 x 20
Calf Raises: 3 x 30

Wednesday (Light Day)

Back Squats: 5 x 5 using 50 lbs less than Monday or Lunges: 4 x 6 ramping to limit
Good Mornings: 4 x 10 or Stiff-Leg Deadlifts: 4 x 10
Overhead Press: 5 x 5 ramping to limit
Dips: When you can do 20 reps, start adding weight and drop the reps back to 8
Curls: 3 x 15

Friday (Medium Day)

Back Squats: 5 x 5 using 20 lbs less than Monday
Incline Bench Press: 5 x 5 ramping to limit
Shrugs: 5 x 5 ramping to limit or Clean High Pulls 5 x 5 ramping to limit
Straight Arm Pullovers: 2 x 20
Chins: 4 sets to failure
Farmer walk distance?
Original post by Break To Build
Farmer walk distance?

1 acre.
What do you think of the GOMAD diet for skinny guys (gallon of milk a day)? I'm planning on going on it this summer do you know if it does actually work? I'll be hitting the gym hard while I'm on it
Original post by Powerlifter
Now I will be the first to admit I am not normally this charitable, but I am also one of the most knowledgeable though both science and experience people on this forum.

I am again also one of the only qualified personal trainers, powerlifitng, strongman and bodybuilding qualified judge/referee. My personal training was done in the military.
Again I have access to info that many others don’t being very close to a qualified dietician.
And as another string to my bow I have excelled at several sports, a little summary is below:

Shot Putt: Midlands champion U17, District Champion U17, 3rd in All England Championship U17
Boxing: 27 fights, 19 wins 16 by way of KO, 2 draws, 6 losses best result was semi finals in the ABA championships.
Rugby: Played professionally in the 1st division tighthead prop, and once loosehead (played loose for the 2nds a few times too)
Powerlifting: Have done 320kg raw deadlift in comp and a 200kg raw bench press. I have also hit a 350 squat in just briefs and knee wraps (gym lift) and the same but 330kgs in comp.
Strongman: First show recently, 4 weeks training and managed 3rd Place in St Ives strongest man (intermediate comp) .

Right enough of the self glorification crap.

I get a lot of crap come through to my inbox shall we say, so here is an open offer to all.
I will happily give advice on diets, sports specific training and body sculpting (please note not bodybuilding as it were, not my bag lol) and health to give realistic and positive effects.

So, if you want this help please PM me with your situation. Please note two key things though:
1: I am not your mother, I will not do it all for you. Please read up on information available some which is in my signature for the girls (and guys trying to loose to be fair). One of the key things to weight loss, power training or whatever is effort, so show some please!

2: I will be taking parts of messages and publically posting them, I will exclude names and compile a list of information for you guys for easy access.

Hello mate,

This is bit of a weird one but seeing as ur highly experienced in this field, I thought I'll ask you for some advise plz.

Basicallly I've been following mark rippletoe's starting strength programme for about 8 weeks and I could see that my lifts were increasing + me getting stronger ! Now about 2 weeks ago when I was deadlifting (ur gonna laugh - about 30kgs), i think i hurt my back then. Eversince that day, my lowerback hurts randomly. Most of the time during the day, it is fine like nothing happened but when it hurts, it sorta twitches and feels like its been dislocated. This happens for about 5-10 minutes randomly and then disappears! Have you experienced anything like this before?

Many thanks!
Hey Matt

If i'm doing SS mon/weds/fri and want to do 2 or 3 cardio sessions a week where should i put them?
Atm i do it sat morning but would like to add in more sessions.

Would it be best directly after weights or on an alternate day?
Scrappy-coco

Not gonna happen really mate, you won't maintain strength on a cut, bodybuilders use substantial amounts of cutting aids (PEDS) to help maintain and they still lose.

Cutting is about apperance, strength is about performance - they operate under different diet structures really.
Original post by wizz_kid
Hello mate,

This is bit of a weird one but seeing as ur highly experienced in this field, I thought I'll ask you for some advise plz.

Basicallly I've been following mark rippletoe's starting strength programme for about 8 weeks and I could see that my lifts were increasing + me getting stronger ! Now about 2 weeks ago when I was deadlifting (ur gonna laugh - about 30kgs), i think i hurt my back then. Eversince that day, my lowerback hurts randomly. Most of the time during the day, it is fine like nothing happened but when it hurts, it sorta twitches and feels like its been dislocated. This happens for about 5-10 minutes randomly and then disappears! Have you experienced anything like this before?

Many thanks!

Nope, foam roller it - if it persists go and see a physio
Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH
What do you think of the GOMAD diet for skinny guys (gallon of milk a day)? I'm planning on going on it this summer do you know if it does actually work? I'll be hitting the gym hard while I'm on it

Well it should put you into kcal surpluss so provided you are doing heavy compounds etc it should serve you well - if you gain too much fat just dial it down a notch.
Original post by MHorman
Hey Matt

If i'm doing SS mon/weds/fri and want to do 2 or 3 cardio sessions a week where should i put them?
Atm i do it sat morning but would like to add in more sessions.

Would it be best directly after weights or on an alternate day?

Not sure why you would want to, they will hinder recovery either way - just experiement and see where you can minimise this,
Original post by Powerlifter
Not sure why you would want to, they will hinder recovery either way - just experiement and see where you can minimise this,

Thanks, I know it will hinder recovery slightly but i want to improve my CV fitness as it's suffered over the last few months...

You must do some stuff for CV fitness being strongman for medleys and stuff so was just wondering...

I'll try some HIIT on alternate days to my weights probably...

Also, there is a multi-quote button btw... :wink:
To save you time/effort in futre when replying...
Original post by MHorman
Thanks, I know it will hinder recovery slightly but i want to improve my CV fitness as it's suffered over the last few months...

You must do some stuff for CV fitness being strongman for medleys and stuff so was just wondering...

I'll try some HIIT on alternate days to my weights probably...

So there is!!!!!! Doh!!

I do the events really, they prepare me for the events lol
Original post by MHorman

i always forget about that, we didnt usd to have one lol
Original post by HARRY PUTAH
1 acre.

Well aren't you helpful. Thank god the fitness forum has people like you around.

Quick Reply

Latest