The Student Room Group

Ask Powerlifter - Gents and gals of all goals welcome

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2020
Original post by Shawshank
Grandiose and pathetic claim. Either retard or troll, probably the latter judging by your post count.

no really. probably exaggerating a little on both counts, but i'm pretty lanky (bout 6ft at about 11 stone), and I do eat a lot.
Reply 2021
Original post by fwat
no really. probably exaggerating a little on both counts, but i'm pretty lanky (bout 6ft at about 11 stone), and I do eat a lot.

How much is that? What do you eat on an average day?
Reply 2022
Original post by rlw31

70kg
Reply 2023
Original post by rlw31

bowl of porridge in the morning

normally pick up a samosa or something small mid-morning

lunch is normally a sandwich or two, some fruit, a yogurt and some kind of snack

dinner varies day to day, but normally a pretty big portion.

then later on I might have something else if I'm still hungry.
Original post by fwat

lunch is normally a sandwich or two, some fruit, a yogurt and some kind of snack

Not much then.
Reply 2025
Original post by fwat

Add a pint of milk to each meal.
Original post by fwat
I am skinny as all hell, and I eat like a horse.

Any way of gaining weight?

Original post by fwat

http://www.acreageequines.com/horsecare/horsecare1.htm

Yeah you fail.
Original post by fwat
I am skinny as all hell, and I eat like a horse.

Any way of gaining weight?

Original post by fwat

As the fellas have suitably pointed out - you eat naff all!

Original post by Gallium
Hey matt i read somewhere you go to Coliseum Gym in aston! ironically i'm from aston! i'm just wondering how much the cost is atm i'm in a contract with another gym but tbf it's come to a point where i don't give a toss and i'm willing to pay for 2 memberships!

Yeah I do and £30 a month as of May 1st
Reply 2028
Original post by rlw31
Add a pint of milk to each meal.

Milk alone is overrated, and it irks me. Food is better

Blending up 200g oats with abit of milk, or scrambling a load of eggs in the microwave isn't remotely hard!
Reply 2029
Original post by Adidas90

Blending up 200g oats with abit of milk, or scrambling a load of eggs in the microwave isn't remotely hard!

Sure, but he apparently 'ate a lot'! Didn't want to bloat his stomach.

You deserve to die for scrambling eggs in the microwave :angry: So tempted to neg

Edit: I got a bit emotional there, sorry. Please tell me you at least make it with milk or cream?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Adidas90

Only because we're subject to ****ty supermarket quality milk. :frown:
What are some good ab exercises?

I've always just done crunches which has helped ab development. However, I've read that they are useless for strength/powerlifting and that there are better things.

Also, how many sets/reps would you recommend for the exercises you suggest?

Thanks!
Original post by Michael XYZ

I've always just done crunches which has helped ab development. However, I've read that they are useless for strength/powerlifting and that there are better things.

Thanks!

Plank variations, Pallof Press and I've been doing this one from Joe DeFranco with a pulley machine instead of a sled and it has been killing me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPeJTcuLsA8
Original post by Powerlifter
Now I will be the first to admit I am not normally this charitable, but I am also one of the most knowledgeable though both science and experience people on this forum.

I am again also one of the only qualified personal trainers, powerlifitng, strongman and bodybuilding qualified judge/referee. My personal training was done in the military.
Again I have access to info that many others don’t being very close to a qualified dietician.
And as another string to my bow I have excelled at several sports, a little summary is below:

Shot Putt: Midlands champion U17, District Champion U17, 3rd in All England Championship U17
Boxing: 27 fights, 19 wins 16 by way of KO, 2 draws, 6 losses best result was semi finals in the ABA championships.
Rugby: Played professionally in the 1st division tighthead prop, and once loosehead (played loose for the 2nds a few times too)
Powerlifting: Have done 320kg raw deadlift in comp and a 200kg raw bench press. I have also hit a 350 squat in just briefs and knee wraps (gym lift) and the same but 330kgs in comp.
Strongman: First show recently, 4 weeks training and managed 3rd Place in St Ives strongest man (intermediate comp) .

Right enough of the self glorification crap.

I get a lot of crap come through to my inbox shall we say, so here is an open offer to all.
I will happily give advice on diets, sports specific training and body sculpting (please note not bodybuilding as it were, not my bag lol) and health to give realistic and positive effects.

So, if you want this help please PM me with your situation. Please note two key things though:
1: I am not your mother, I will not do it all for you. Please read up on information available some which is in my signature for the girls (and guys trying to loose to be fair). One of the key things to weight loss, power training or whatever is effort, so show some please!

2: I will be taking parts of messages and publically posting them, I will exclude names and compile a list of information for you guys for easy access.

powerlifter

when will i know that i have exhausted my gains from starting strength? they stall, i deload, they stall again, i deload, and they stall once more. i change the exercises somewhat and it stalls. i will now change the rep structure to 5 x5 instead of 3 x 5, but how will i know when i am beyond starting strength?
Original post by Powerlifter
Doesn't seem to be such a problem for Brian Siders ;-)

Why do you think you need to buy a band for it, its not a magical recovery aid for your self diagnosis - very very simple stretches work for 99% of people, and like many you are over complicting the matter

Soz I am just mad cos I can't squat. I you tubed that guy and I squat with my feet turned out alot more than him
Original post by Michael XYZ

Thanks!

Ive found that since I started squatting my abs, well my entire mid section are much more solid. And not on a machine
Original post by KnockoffNeil
Ive found that since I started squatting my abs, well my entire mid section are much more solid. And not on a machine

You know the guy you're quoting squats 140 right?
What's the best way to go about doing upper body work when on a program like Smolov?

Also, how and what kind of accessory work come into the picture?
Original post by Shawshank
You know the guy you're quoting squats 140 right?

had not the faintest idea. thats a whole minute wasted i'll never see again.
Original post by cowsforsale
What's the best way to go about doing upper body work when on a program like Smolov?

Also, how and what kind of accessory work come into the picture?

Keep it very low volume and very basic - Smolov is stupidly taxing - in fact I would probably bet money that only a genetic freak could input accurate figures and complete it without drugs.

Minimum to get by really

No accessory work is needed on Smolov really

Quick Reply

Latest