The Student Room Group

Ask Powerlifter - Gents and gals of all goals welcome

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Powerlifter
really

What would you say is more key to improving the squat and a more worthwhile overall investment - weightlifting shoes or a belt?

Atm the only lifts I do that really require shoes are squats and front squats, which I really want to improve on and I'm thinking of trying to learn c+j and snatch as well, so I would use shoes a lot more if i did that, but atm a belt would maybe be more useful...

So yeah if you had to choose, belt or shoes?
Original post by Becca
What would you say is more key to improving the squat and a more worthwhile overall investment - weightlifting shoes or a belt?

Atm the only lifts I do that really require shoes are squats and front squats, which I really want to improve on and I'm thinking of trying to learn c+j and snatch as well, so I would use shoes a lot more if i did that, but atm a belt would maybe be more useful...

So yeah if you had to choose, belt or shoes?

Shoes - they will assist your overhead pressing too, I never press overhead without Olympic shoes on.

Squats, front squats, overhead press, power cleans, push press etc
Keep it very low volume and very basic - Smolov is stupidly taxing - in fact I would probably bet money that only a genetic freak could input accurate figures and complete it without drugs.

Minimum to get by really

No accessory work is needed on Smolov really

Out of curiosity, have you ever ran smolov? If so, did you use your 'true' 1 rep max when working out the percentages? I can remeber when I put mine into the calculator and saw the last week of the base meso cycle, I basically thought to myself "fcuk that, Ill never be able to finish the last week"
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Megaloblastic
Out of curiosity, have you even ran smolov? If so, did you use your 'true' 1 rep max when working out the percentages? I can remeber when I put mine into the calculator and saw the last week of the base meso cycle, I basically thought to myself "fcuk that, Ill never be able to finish the last week"

Yes I ran it on front squats and bench press - it nearly killed me and I was using steroids and doing little else.
Hello again got another question:

I've been trying to increase my strength through weight training (started about 5 weeks ago) and was wandering if it's any indicator of overall fitness/strength/health if you can do at least one pull up? I know it sounds pathetic but I can't do one yet... is it beneficial to include these in training?
Original post by bananalala

I've been trying to increase my strength through weight training (started about 5 weeks ago) and was wandering if it's any indicator of overall fitness/strength/health if you can do at least one pull up? I know it sounds pathetic but I can't do one yet... is it beneficial to include these in training?

definetly benefical to include pull ups!

I can't do one either, but I can at least hold myself up now...never even used to be able to do that!
Training through muscluar injuries. Worth it?

I've got a few sprains/tight muscles is it worth the risk?
Reply 2048
I am getting back into training recently after a long lay off and have a couple of questions:

I noticed during pulls that my grip strength was my weakest link - i.e. I wasn't able to tax my lower back, legs etc. as much as I could take because my grip was failing. Is it worth trying some grip/forearm specific training or do you reckon that my grip will just catch up from concentrating on doing deads a few times a week?

Also, in general, what is the best way to do warm up sets? I think my endurance is pretty poor so I am a bit concerned that by doing too much warming up, I am reducing my ability to complete a decent amount of work sets. Is it better to sack off warm ups whilst I am still lifting pretty light until I build more endurance?

Finally, re assistance exercises - seeing as I am getting back into things thus am pretty sore - is it better to forget about these and just concentrate on the big core movements to aid recovery so that I can improve on the main lifts better?

Ta v'ry muchly

Pull ups are a great excercise - but they are hardly an indicator of overall strength, build up to them and do them by all means.

Original post by Hantheman
Training through muscluar injuries. Worth it?

I've got a few sprains/tight muscles is it worth the risk?

Depends if they are genuine or you being lazy - if genuine then don't gon't go mad

Original post by Jake22
I am getting back into training recently after a long lay off and have a couple of questions:

I noticed during pulls that my grip strength was my weakest link - i.e. I wasn't able to tax my lower back, legs etc. as much as I could take because my grip was failing. Is it worth trying some grip/forearm specific training or do you reckon that my grip will just catch up from concentrating on doing deads a few times a week?

A fewplate pinches, static bar holds and deadlifts will sort you out.

Also, in general, what is the best way to do warm up sets? I think my endurance is pretty poor so I am a bit concerned that by doing too much warming up, I am reducing my ability to complete a decent amount of work sets. Is it better to sack off warm ups whilst I am still lifting pretty light until I build more endurance?

Minimal warm ups are always the way forward

Finally, re assistance exercises - seeing as I am getting back into things thus am pretty sore - is it better to forget about these and just concentrate on the big core movements to aid recovery so that I can improve on the main lifts better?

Assistance is only that if it is actually assisting - don't bother with them if they are having a negative impact on the big lifts
Ta v'ry muchly

Depends if they are genuine or you being lazy - if genuine then don't gon't go mad

Ok, cheers.
Reply 2051
I lift without shoes. Is this ok?
Original post by GQ.
I lift without shoes. Is this ok?

Don't drop anything on them
Reply 2053
lol
What do you think of doing deadlifts to knees + rack pulls instead of normal deadlifts?

Also, I was trying out rack pulls today and it felt like my back wanted to round like crazy. Could this be due to weak ass glutes and weak upper back?
3000 calories and it's not even breakfast yet. Self proclaimed lad?
Original post by cowsforsale
What do you think of doing deadlifts to knees + rack pulls instead of normal deadlifts?

Also, I was trying out rack pulls today and it felt like my back wanted to round like crazy. Could this be due to weak ass glutes and weak upper back?

Yeah sounds like your weak in your back if that is happening - drop the weight and work on them.

Never actually tried deadlifts to the knees - and I don't plan on it anytime soon to be honest.

Original post by DeanK22
3000 calories and it's not even breakfast yet. Self proclaimed lad?

Good drills!
Reply 2057
Does lifting weights improve one's performance in the bedroom?
Original post by GQ.
Does lifting weights improve one's performance in the bedroom?

It can indeed.
Reply 2059
Original post by cowsforsale

Weird, my back rounds horribly on normal deadlifts, but stays relatively straight doing rack pulls.

Quick Reply

Latest