The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
synvilla
If you are doing the IB, the only exams that matters are those in the end. And even if you have other exams before, those exam will not be a part of your grade if you are doing the IB.

I heard that your final examination counts for 80% of the overall grade and that 20% is from school examinations. That's what my principal said anyway.
bitturiju
Got my SAT II results

Math II - 800
Physics - 780
Chemistry - 780

Are they good? I'm asking this since many, trust me, many students in my school got marks like this. I'm in ACS(Independent) btw. Our school produced 9 out of 20 perfect scores for IB the previous year with more than half the students(entire cohort is about 400 students) getting more that 40 points.

Amazing :eek: You must be at the best ib school in the world.
Reply 22
Oh and I was just wondering, does Harvard consider the IB programme more rigorous than AP classes? I went to the college confidential web site and I only saw a couple of applicants who were a IBDP candidate.
That could mean a good thing as well considering not many people do the IB cause of the workload and even if they did, like you said VERY FEW get 42+ and your academics suggest that you are well on your way and so do your extra curricular activities which shows you're well rounded. At the least you should get an interview. Keep up the good work.
But like i always say, hope for the best and plan for the worst.... i am sure you will get top grades and there are other universities if Harvard say no and bare that in mind as well cause it won't be the end of the world if you don't get in.
Reply 24
boromir9111
That could mean a good thing as well considering not many people do the IB cause of the workload and even if they did, like you said VERY FEW get 42+ and your academics suggest that you are well on your way and so do your extra curricular activities which shows you're well rounded. At the least you should get an interview. Keep up the good work.

Thanks!
Reply 25
fizzicsfiend
Amazing :eek: You must be at the best ib school in the world.

It might be. Well, it is definitely good in a way. In terms of recognition I guess? But perhaps the vast number of students doing extraordinarily well poses a problem as well; competition?
I might have an edge over the male candidates however. They are eligible for National Service(Army) for 2 years. I'm a Permanent resident and so am I. However, I have decided to renounce my PR status to skip this.:yes: I do have a worry though...that is will they allow me to renounce my PR status??
bitturiju
It might be. Well, it is definitely good in a way. In terms of recognition I guess? But perhaps the vast number of students doing extraordinarily well poses a problem as well; competition?
I might have an edge over the male candidates however. They are eligible for National Service(Army) for 2 years. I'm a Permanent resident and so am I. However, I have decided to renounce my PR status to skip this.:yes: I do have a worry though...that is will they allow me to renounce my PR status??

I have a a friend from Singapore. From what he's told me, I don't think you can do that. Still, I don't see how skipping national service will give you an advantage over anyone :confused:
Reply 27
Going to such a good school is a bad thing I'm afraid, they have something called class rank where your teacher will say what % of your year you are better than. They also know that it's easier to do well in public exams if you go to a good school than a bad one..and you have to declare whether your school was private or state. My interviewer really liked me cos I was a state-schooler and so was she (it didn't get me the place though, although I really wasn't a strong applicant - just applied because I thought 'why not')
Reply 28
bitturiju

For my SAT I, I scored 2380/2400:smile:

2380 in SAT 1 :eek:
Never heard of anyone getting that but wow
Reply 29
bitturiju
Ok, so I am an international applicant doing the IB diploma.

I will be getting my SAT II results soon. I think I did well.

Ok so here are the facts. I am very strong in terms of academics. I scored 45 points for my previous term.

However, in terms of extra-curricular activities, I feel quite unsure. Yes, I do participate in tons of voluntary work(ones I have passion for - helping autistic kids)but the only other activity is soccer. I have been in the school team for 5 years but we have never won a trophy. I have been vice captain once and captain once.

So, what are my chances of getting in?:confused:

DO the obvious, APPLY!!!!!!

You did the IB, and you got 45, sounds like you're alright already. Cuz you need all sorts of stuff for the IB like CAS etc so that'd be fine already

Anyways, the worst thing is they'll reject you. But you will definitely NOT get in if you don't apply!

p.s. Lucky you!!!!! 45!!! JEALOUS!!!
Reply 30
bitturiju
Oh and I was just wondering, does Harvard consider the IB programme more rigorous than AP classes? I went to the college confidential web site and I only saw a couple of applicants who were a IBDP candidate.

Well, apparently America LOVEs the IB. so i think it'd give you an advantage.

All my friends and teachers say that.
You get like, extra credits. And the three (? four?) people who I know got into Harward did IB. None of them did ALevels
Reply 31
Actually getting in is the least of my worries. The biggest concern of mine is whether or not I can successfully renounce my PR status in time to skip NS. I know a couple of people who have done so without a hassle. They are studying in universities in US and Canada now. I tend to become extremely concerned about everything. Wish me luck guys!
bitturiju
I heard that your final examination counts for 80% of the overall grade and that 20% is from school examinations. That's what my principal said anyway.

Well, either you're not doing IB then or your principal is lying to you because he wants you take school examinations seriously. All that appears on your IB dipoma (which is the only thing that matters) are the results of the examinations you sit AT THE END OF THE PROGRAMME (plus coursework).
bitturiju
Got my SAT II results

Math II - 800
Physics - 780
Chemistry - 780

Are they good? I'm asking this since many, trust me, many students in my school got marks like this. I'm in ACS(Independent) btw. Our school produced 9 out of 20 perfect scores for IB the previous year with more than half the students(entire cohort is about 400 students) getting more that 40 points.
ACS I in Singapore? I used to go there when I was an international exchange student :yy:(for 2 months...and then I moved down the road to UWCSEA :colonhash:).
ACS having several 45ers and more than half getting 40+ scores never surprised me when I saw it.
I reckon you have a very decent chance. Beat my SAT I score too - 2310 :yes:
I may be going for Harvard myself...with A levels though (compared to your IB)
Reply 34
Hey,

I thought I would just drop by and mention a few things.

I applied to Harvard and also had a 2380 but was rejected flat out. I had slightly lower SAT II scores than you did.

You are an international so that should help you getting in, but when I applied there were over 500 students who applied with PERFECT SAT scores (2400).

The scores will definitely help, but they will not guarantee you get in.

You must find something that sets you apart (some volunteer work or passion) and go the extra mile in it. If you like helping autistic children, THAT IS NOT ENOUGH. When I applied I helped autistic children over the course of a whole summer, and another summer I worked at an AIDS/HIV halfway house.

You need to do something like START a volunteer organization that goes out and helps autistic children who don't normally get to interact with other people. Maybe get a few friends together and like once a week go to different areas and interact with autistic children -- but take the initiative and start something. This is key.

Also, this will get you some recognition in your area. I don't know if Harvard does this, but I would not be surprised: Princeton assigns a number based on the area-of-effect of things you have done (ie. if you do something internationally noticed, then you get a 1; something nationally noticed, you get a 2; state-wide, 3; citywide, 4; schoolwide, 5).

You want at least a 2 to be really competitive (maybe a 3, since like I said, being international will help your chances a great deal).

Good luck!
Reply 35
Stricof
ACS I in Singapore? I used to go there when I was an international exchange student :yy:(for 2 months...and then I moved down the road to UWCSEA :colonhash:).
ACS having several 45ers and more than half getting 40+ scores never surprised me when I saw it.
I reckon you have a very decent chance. Beat my SAT I score too - 2310 :yes:
I may be going for Harvard myself...with A levels though (compared to your IB)

Good luck! And do you know anyone who successfully renounced their PR status in Singapore after completing their A Level or IB? When are the A Level examinations taken anyway?:o:
bitturiju
Good luck! And do you know anyone who successfully renounced their PR status in Singapore after completing their A Level or IB? When are the A Level examinations taken anyway?:o:
Ahaha..dude, it doesn't take a genius to figure out how long it takes to renounce PR in Singapore.
My little brother only just got his taken off (after 5 years)
Oh no...I've completed my A levels. But they're usually finished in August.
Reply 37
Stricof
Ahaha..dude, it doesn't take a genius to figure out how long it takes to renounce PR in Singapore.
My little brother only just got his taken off (after 5 years)
Oh no...I've completed my A levels. But they're usually finished in August.

I've heard it takes about 2 weeks to process the stuff and then a letter stating that you are no longer a PR will be sent.
But that isn't the problem. I don't know if it can be renounced after my IB, which is like in November of next year.
Well, my friend is taking the IB this year and he will be renouncing his PR status after he has finished the exams..a couple of weeks more I guess. If he can do it, then I guess there won't be any problem I guess.

And on your PM, how old was your bro?
bitturiju
I've heard it takes about 2 weeks to process the stuff and then a letter stating that you are no longer a PR will be sent.
LOL...well In Singapore (Because they like you to do NS) take ages. But speed depends on age.
But that isn't the problem. I don't know if it can be renounced after my IB, which is like in November of next year.
Well, my friend is taking the IB this year and he will be renouncing his PR status after he has finished the exams..a couple of weeks more I guess. If he can do it, then I guess there won't be any problem I guess.
Renounce it now and apply for a student visa?

And on your PM, how old was your bro?
bitturiju
Ok, so I am an international applicant doing the IB diploma.

I will be getting my SAT II results soon. I think I did well.

Ok so here are the facts. I am very strong in terms of academics. I scored 45 points for my previous term.

However, in terms of extra-curricular activities, I feel quite unsure. Yes, I do participate in tons of voluntary work(ones I have passion for - helping autistic kids)but the only other activity is soccer. I have been in the school team for 5 years but we have never won a trophy. I have been vice captain once and captain once.

So, what are my chances of getting in?:confused:

With those results you can apply anywhere.

Don't just look at harvard with results like that oxford and cambridge would accept you on academic merit alone.

Latest

Trending

Trending