The Student Room Group

Pressured by college...

Hey guys,

Basically, im sending off my UCAS app tomorrow (finally! I thought it was sent off before half-term but no) but before it got sent off, the person who deals with the applications spoke to me and told me that I need to put down a better insurance choice - im predicted ABC and I had what I thought was an insurance choice of BBC. However, ive been told that this isnt an insurance choice for me as its just realistic :confused: (yes, despite being predicted higher). So, do you think I should leave it and say, no im happy with my choices and thats it or do you think I should take note and put somewhere down who want BCC (260 points)?

Thanks in advance
They're your choices, don't let them influence you.
Reply 2
Do you believe you can meet your offer, or at least meet the insurance offer? If you do, and you're willing to put in the work to achieve it then keep it as it is.

Also, only put down an insurance if you would really be happy going there. Don't choose a BCC offer just for the sake of it. How annoyed would you be if you got BBC but had changed your insurance choice? Don't let your college talk you into something you don't really want.
Reply 3
Yeah my mates told me that but in some ways I think that they might be right.
Although a mate of mine said they dont care about what uni I go to, so long as I go to one; hence why they want me to put a uni down which id easily be able to get into.

But I want motivation, if I know I could get in somewhere easily then I wouldnt work at all. But no one seems to understand.

jen-bee
Do you believe you can meet your offer, or at least meet the insurance offer? If you do, and you're willing to put in the work to achieve it then keep it as it is.

Also, only put down an insurance if you would really be happy going there. Don't choose a BCC offer just for the sake of it. How annoyed would you be if you got BBC but had changed your insurance choice? Don't let your college talk you into something you don't really want.

That was the other thing, ive changed it in my signature and replaced Exeter with Northumbria (two very different unis) but if I didnt make my firm and had Northumbria as my insurance, id most likely go into clearing and see what I can get.
Reply 4
THRASHx
Yeah my mates told me that but in some ways I think that they might be right.
Although a mate of mine said they dont care about what uni I go to, so long as I go to one; hence why they want me to put a uni down which id easily be able to get into.

But I want motivation, if I know I could get in somewhere easily then I wouldnt work at all. But no one seems to understand.

That was the other thing, ive changed it in my signature and replaced Exeter with Northumbria (two very different unis) but if I didnt make my firm and had Northumbria as my insurance, id most likely go into clearing and see what I can get.
but you wouldn't be able to without getting released by Northumbria first, because when you choose your firm and insurance you are committed to them if you meet your offer (and no, you can't choose between them on results day if you meet the offers for both).

It's your application, you decide what you want to do. If you need a 'stretch' target, then go for it if your predictions will stack up. It's a bit much for your adviser to say you need a more 'realistic' choice when you have picked a BBC choice against ABC predictions. If you don't want to go to Northumbria for heavens sake don't waste a choice on it! It is only worth applying to places you would be happy to go to if it came to it.
Reply 5
Minerva
but you wouldn't be able to without getting released by Northumbria first, because when you choose your firm and insurance you are committed to them if you meet your offer (and no, you can't choose between them on results day if you meet the offers for both).

It's your application, you decide what you want to do. If you need a 'stretch' target, then go for it if your predictions will stack up. It's a bit much for your adviser to say you need a more 'realistic' choice when you have picked a BBC choice against ABC predictions. If you don't want to go to Northumbria for heavens sake don't waste a choice on it! It is only worth applying to places you would be happy to go to if it came to it.

I wouldnt be happy with any unis apart from the ones I had originally, although im glad it got sent back to me as I realised a joint honours id put down wanted higher grades then the single honours, so I had to change it.

What do you think the likelyhood of being accepted onto a course which requires BBC is with the grades ACC?
Reply 6
THRASHx
I wouldnt be happy with any unis apart from the ones I had originally, although im glad it got sent back to me as I realised a joint honours id put down wanted higher grades then the single honours, so I had to change it.

What do you think the likelyhood of being accepted onto a course which requires BBC is with the grades ACC?
No idea, but it's not impossible. A good PS and reference will help.

Latest

Trending

Trending