The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Oh noes! You must've been the target of all the racism and bulling in schoooool!

Woe is you!!
Reply 41
DisgruntledMoth
I was thinking that recently about Catherine Zeta-Jones, who, I can't be bothered to check, but I'm fairly sure is Welsh. Yet, she is olive-skinned and so on. At least she is in 'The Darling Buds of May'.

i looked up and 1 of her parents is welsh and other was from Ireland!
Reply 42
josh_a_y
Oh noes! You must've been the target of all the racism and bulling in schoooool!

Woe is you!!

Not reallly...
Reply 43
Hey there,
Hope you find this interesting. I came across this forum on google today because funnily enough I am also Welsh and dark eyed, haired and skinned! I am always getting asked where I am originally from or being asked if I am mixed race. (especially cause my sister is blonde, blue eye and pale skinned!)

I do have a little bit of English in me from my dads side(one of his parents), but I am majority Welsh. I get my colour from my mums side, whos family is a proper Welsh speaking family coming from Llandovery.

I got a bit fed up, so a few years back I did a bit of research, this is some of the things I found:
"The Mediterranean race was thought to be prevalent in southern Europe, most of North Africa, South Asia and the Middle East as well as parts of the British Isles Wales and the English county of Cornwall and was characterized by moderate to short stature, long skull (dolichocephalicness), dark hair, dark eyes and complexion."

"Over to Professor Stephen Oppenheimer of Oxford University, who says some 81% of the Welsh have DNA evidence which shows a common link to ancestors who came to Britain from northern Spain many thousands of years ago."

"The welsh are of a predominantly meditteranean appearance. Most people in wales have black hair and brown eyes with white skin (some have dark skin like ruth madoc, imogen thomas and catherine zeta jones. . some welsh people have blonde hair or red hair with blue eyes too (about 5-7% at most)."

"both authors state that according to genetic evidence, most Welsh people and most Britons descend from the Iberian Peninsula"

"96% of lineages in Llangefni in north Wales derive from Iberia. Genetic research on the Y-chromosome has shown that the Welsh, like the Irish are genetically very similar to the Basques of Northern Spain and South Western France although the Welsh do contain more Neolithic input than both the Irish and the Basques."

What do you think of that? I gotta be honest, I only joined this student room thing to tell you that, bit sad i know, but I was getting annoyed at the other comments and wanted you to know that its completely normal to be dark and be Welsh blooded. Plus everyone gets jelous of us don't they!

Hope this helps you :smile:, if you want any other information I am happy to help!
Also, I noticed you're from North Wales - ti'n siarad Cymraeg?

Nick
Holamigo
Ok.. I have always had olive skin, dark hair and eyes, but I constantly get asked by people if i'm from a different country!! just last week a man said I looked as if i'm from the philippines! and i've been told I look like i'm from Italy a lot! When I was younger in school i remember a lot of my friends asked if I was adopted because I looked like I was from a different country!
Its quite annoying.. then people ask me where are my parents from? and they are both 100% welsh too. So I don't get where it's come from.. my cousin on my mum's side is also the same - dark skin and hair.. makes me think we have had relatives from Italy or something. My auntie has recently done our family tree though and all our relatives were 100%welsh except one married an English woman

So is it possible to have dark skin for no reason? And when I find someone else who is like me I always find out that they are half italian/spanish or something!
I'm gonna look into my dads side of the family next.. as my dad is pretty dark too but he does work outside.. when I ask him he just says we used to have gypsies in the family years ago! and we get it from the romans - when they invaded us years ago blah blah!

but what do you think? anyone else similar to me?

your mum banged the paki postman lmao
Reply 45
basketofsnakes
your mum banged the paki postman lmao

haaa so funny. Not.
Reply 46
NickYeo
Hey there,
Hope you find this interesting. I came across this forum on google today because funnily enough I am also Welsh and dark eyed, haired and skinned! I am always getting asked where I am originally from or being asked if I am mixed race. (especially cause my sister is blonde, blue eye and pale skinned!)

I do have a little bit of English in me from my dads side(one of his parents), but I am majority Welsh. I get my colour from my mums side, whos family is a proper Welsh speaking family coming from Llandovery.

I got a bit fed up, so a few years back I did a bit of research, this is some of the things I found:
"The Mediterranean race was thought to be prevalent in southern Europe, most of North Africa, South Asia and the Middle East as well as parts of the British Isles Wales and the English county of Cornwall and was characterized by moderate to short stature, long skull (dolichocephalicness), dark hair, dark eyes and complexion."

"Over to Professor Stephen Oppenheimer of Oxford University, who says some 81% of the Welsh have DNA evidence which shows a common link to ancestors who came to Britain from northern Spain many thousands of years ago."

"The welsh are of a predominantly meditteranean appearance. Most people in wales have black hair and brown eyes with white skin (some have dark skin like ruth madoc, imogen thomas and catherine zeta jones. . some welsh people have blonde hair or red hair with blue eyes too (about 5-7% at most)."

"both authors state that according to genetic evidence, most Welsh people and most Britons descend from the Iberian Peninsula"

"96% of lineages in Llangefni in north Wales derive from Iberia. Genetic research on the Y-chromosome has shown that the Welsh, like the Irish are genetically very similar to the Basques of Northern Spain and South Western France although the Welsh do contain more Neolithic input than both the Irish and the Basques."

What do you think of that? I gotta be honest, I only joined this student room thing to tell you that, bit sad i know, but I was getting annoyed at the other comments and wanted you to know that its completely normal to be dark and be Welsh blooded. Plus everyone gets jelous of us don't they!

Hope this helps you :smile:, if you want any other information I am happy to help!
Also, I noticed you're from North Wales - ti'n siarad Cymraeg?

Nick

wow thanks a lot for that info! where did you find it? certainly explains a lot!
Nice to have a serious answer aswel!

dipin bach! dwi'n dysgu cymraeg! I know basic stuff as where i currently work they are all fluent in welsh so I can understand it more than I can write/speak. My nan & mum are also fluent! what bout you?
Holamigo
anyone else similar to me?

He's Welsh. Is he darker skinned than you? My housemate thought I was from the mediterranean but that's probably because I tan easily. Too much football in the sun and no sun cream.
having that type of skin must be cool right? makes ya look different and stand out

Olive skin can look really hawt on girls anyway..... on some girls
Reply 49
NDGAARONDI

He's Welsh. Is he darker skinned than you? My housemate thought I was from the mediterranean but that's probably because I tan easily. Too much football in the sun and no sun cream.

yeah he's darker than me. But my dad is waay darker.

Yeah i do tan really easy and have never burnt.

But even in the winter my skin stays the same colour...or has a strange tinge to it i'm never completely white like some people go.
Spanish throwback? My younger brother is similar, send him out in the sun and he comes back looking foreign.. luckily my dad has hazel eyes otherwise.. :P

Nah, I'd never question my parents fidelity
Reply 51
Celts are traditionally darker skinned.
Reply 52
Peanut42
It is a bit weird, my boyfriend looks Asian but he's not at all! When we went to Japan people wouldn't believe he was British. I have no idea how to explain it!

You mean your boyfriend is British of Asian (assuming Japanese) descent?
Reply 53
Holamigo
wow thanks a lot for that info! where did you find it? certainly explains a lot!
Nice to have a serious answer aswel!

dipin bach! dwi'n dysgu cymraeg! I know basic stuff as where i currently work they are all fluent in welsh so I can understand it more than I can write/speak. My nan & mum are also fluent! what bout you?

you're welcome :smile:
i just googled it and several articles came up about it!
i know quite a few dark welshies too

ah dwi'n dysgu cymraeg hefyd :biggrin:
yeah i am in uni in aberystwyth and i am staying in the welsh speaking accomodation to help me and its got so much better
i am also going to do a 4weeks intensive welsh course over the summer
its a shame your mum didnt teach it to you?
Reply 54
NickYeo
you're welcome :smile:
i just googled it and several articles came up about it!
i know quite a few dark welshies too

ah dwi'n dysgu cymraeg hefyd :biggrin:
yeah i am in uni in aberystwyth and i am staying in the welsh speaking accomodation to help me and its got so much better
i am also going to do a 4weeks intensive welsh course over the summer
its a shame your mum didnt teach it to you?

ah cool!

You should be fluent in no time then! Oo the 4 weeks intensive course sounds good!
I know I have a go at my mum for not teaching me! :/ my dad came from a non-welsh speaking family so she didn't really use it once she met him and left school! She put my brother in a welsh-speaking school but he was struggling so took him out. So she didn't bother with me! lol

ONE day I will be fluent so I can pass it on to my children! :biggrin:
Reply 55
Hmm i've heard it said before that generally Welsh people are darker than the rest of the British Isles. That rings true to me as well when you look at some Welsh Celebs (Catherine Zeta Jones, Tom Jones, that Welsh girl from Big Brother a couple of years ago etc.) I'm not Welsh but my nan was and apparently she was quite dark haired and skinned as well. In fact, she was so dark that people often used to mistake her and my Granddad (who was Middle Eastern Asian) as brother and sister weirdly enough. So i think you could easily be 100% Welsh yet have the olive skin, dark hair etc. Or who knows, maybe you have some foreign heritage somewhere.
Reply 56
Maybe your Silures blood is showing?

"The Silures were a powerful and warlike tribe of ancient Britain, occupying approximately the counties of Monmouthshire, Breconshire and Glamorganshire in south Wales. They were bordered to the north by the Ordovices; to the east by the Dobunni; and to the west by the Demetae.

According to Tacitus's biography of Agricola, the Silures usually had a dark complexion and curly hair. Due to their appearance, Tacitus hinted that they may have crossed over from Spain at an earlier date."
Em_maK
What does the milkman look like...?

:lol:
The thing about Celts looking darker is interesting. Does that apply to the Irish and Scottish? Because I thought they were stereotypically pale.
Reply 59
Holamigo
ah cool!

You should be fluent in no time then! Oo the 4 weeks intensive course sounds good!
I know I have a go at my mum for not teaching me! :/ my dad came from a non-welsh speaking family so she didn't really use it once she met him and left school! She put my brother in a welsh-speaking school but he was struggling so took him out. So she didn't bother with me! lol

ONE day I will be fluent so I can pass it on to my children! :biggrin:

That is a shame to hear that it wasn't passed on. But you can change that :smile:.
Chwarae teg i ti a pob lwc :smile:
I can't wait to be fluent!

Nice speaking. Take care
Nick