The Student Room Group

Having olive skin, dark hair and eyes but being 100% welsh.

Ok.. I have always had olive skin, dark hair and eyes, but I constantly get asked by people if i'm from a different country!! just last week a man said I looked as if i'm from the philippines! and i've been told I look like i'm from Italy a lot! When I was younger in school i remember a lot of my friends asked if I was adopted because I looked like I was from a different country!
Its quite annoying.. then people ask me where are my parents from? and they are both 100% welsh too. So I don't get where it's come from.. my cousin on my mum's side is also the same - dark skin and hair.. makes me think we have had relatives from Italy or something. My auntie has recently done our family tree though and all our relatives were 100%welsh except one married an English woman

So is it possible to have dark skin for no reason? And when I find someone else who is like me I always find out that they are half italian/spanish or something!
I'm gonna look into my dads side of the family next.. as my dad is pretty dark too but he does work outside.. when I ask him he just says we used to have gypsies in the family years ago! and we get it from the romans - when they invaded us years ago blah blah!

but what do you think? anyone else similar to me?

Scroll to see replies

You probably do just have some Italian or something in you. Family trees aren't necessarily 100% truthful anyway, there may have been some family secrets :p:
Reply 2
What does the milkman look like...?
Gypsies (especially Romany Gypsies as they're from Romania) often have pretty dark skin, so it's probably from your dad's side.
Reply 4
ahahaha! I would question if my mum had an affair but I look so much like my dad and our personalities are so similar that it's impossible!

yeh but it annoys me I want to know where I get it from! lol
Reply 5
Aren't olives greenish brown? U ill bro?
Reply 6
Em_maK
What does the milkman look like...?

:teehee:
burningnun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_skin
Reply 8
It is a bit weird, my boyfriend looks Asian but he's not at all! When we went to Japan people wouldn't believe he was British. I have no idea how to explain it!
Reply 9
Peanut42
It is a bit weird, my boyfriend looks Asian but he's not at all! When we went to Japan people wouldn't believe he was British. I have no idea how to explain it!

oh good someone else! It is weird.

Someone told me over the summer that before I spoke they thought I was foreign! haha
burningnun

haha
Reply 11
I'm 100% English, but I get asked constantly if I'm Dutch/German/Scandinavian/Russian/Polish/Czech etc., etc. because I've got fair skin, blue eyes and blonde hair and apparently look foreign. If you go back hundreds of years, my family was Dutch, but that was generations and generations ago and nobody else in my family looks foreign. I would question the milkman, but I'm too like my dad. :p:
Reply 12
nolongerhearthemusic
You probably do just have some Italian or something in you. Family trees aren't necessarily 100% truthful anyway, there may have been some family secrets :p:

hmm true..i'd love to find out! - but have you been to wales in the little villages!? lol noone ever went abroad then! And even now if there's a black person/someone foreign its like a strange thing!

What a load of crap! It even links to the wiki on "olive" where it shows that olive is a completely different colour from what those people are. I declare shenanigans.
The Romans brought over kinked noses, deep skin and hair colour.

Traditional English people are like of cappucino coloured in their hair and pale skinned.

I always get asked if I am Eastern European or Scandanavian as I have such pale skin and red hair. We did a family tree and I came out as 100% English but some more sleuthing (and family secrets) brought out Scandanavian ancestors!

Don't worry about your Welsh-ness, in the nicest way possible, we are all immigrants deep down. England has been invaded (and invaded) too many times.
Also how is everyone managing to be 100% English or 100% Welsh? Not one of your recent ancestors came from another country? This is strange to me.
Reply 16
nolongerhearthemusic
Also how is everyone managing to be 100% English or 100% Welsh? Not one of your recent ancestors came from another country? This is strange to me.

How is that strange?
You do look slightly southern European I suppose. Maybe Welsh people are just darker anyway and people think they should be white? I seriously thought Tom Jones was part-Caribbean until a few years ago. And Catherine Zeta-Jones looks sort of Spanish.
Davies_M
How is that strange?

Well it's just a strange idea that none of your (more recent) ancestors were from anywhere other than this tiny piece of land. It would make me want to move somewhere else and break the tradition!
You have something else in there. My father is dark skinned, with jet black hair and dark eyes and he tans brilliantly. Both his parents were English, as were his grandparents. But then he found out that his great-great grandfather was African! Always wondered where his side got that brinking-on-mixed-race appearance. My sister's dark too - whilst I take after my mother's Irish side and have never tanned in my life.

Latest

Trending

Trending