The Student Room Group

Improving my PHD prospects

I've just started an MA in Philosophy which is a new subject for me, I came from Politics. Today I've received an email from the department telling me that there is a graduate conference at Oxford, in a bit less than two weeks. My problem is this, the conference falls on a weekend before I have my weekly 2 hour Monday seminar and in this particular week the reading is extremely hefty (it's usually very hard going but this time more so), so going to the conference would be quite inconvenient (I'm in York). However I think that I wish to do a PHD, if not next year due to financial concerns etc, then certainly in the near future and I think having this conference on my CV would be one of the things that looks good. Would it make much of a difference do you think? I suppose this is aimed more at PHD students.
Go to the conference. However, I'd be wary of putting anything on your CV if you haven't given a paper there.
I agree with ChemistBoy. Go to the conference, even if you're not presenting a paper. You might find the experience engaging and may even make some useful contacts there.
Reply 3
Thirded - go to the conference, because it's a good experience, and opportunity to network. But you can't really just list "conferences attended" on your CV. It's more a case of ones you have presented at.
Reply 4
Thanks for the quick replies. How would one go about making contacts then, am I right in presuming you are all PHD students presently?
Komakino
Thanks for the quick replies. How would one go about making contacts then, am I right in presuming you are all PHD students presently?

Go up to people and talk to them about their work. At conferences there are usually coffee breaks, etc. that are ideal places for networking.
Reply 6
Ah. I guess it's a good excuse to get away for the weekend, although Monday's seminar may be a bit harsh.

Latest

Trending

Trending