The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thesilvermagnolia
I was following the C25K program ages ago, and it was really helping me...but then I just sort of gave up for some unknown reason...I'm going to try and get back into it starting from tonight though :smile: I was thinking of going back into it at week 4-5...what do people think? Or should I start right from day one again? (I can jog about a mile without stopping at the moment)

Looking at the program, If you can run 1 mile none stop happily then week 5 will be fine as a starting point... good luck :smile:
I was following the C25K program ages ago, and it was really helping me...but then I just sort of gave up for some unknown reason...I'm going to try and get back into it starting from tonight though :smile: I was thinking of going back into it at week 4-5...what do people think? Or should I start right from day one again? (I can jog about a mile without stopping at the moment)

If you can run a mile just jump in at week 5. Will be easy...

Also, why do you always end your posts with the Rolls eyes smilie? It's just weird...
Original post by dipless
First of all don't let one bad session put you off. It's all about getting started and finding your own rythm. Start off by doing 2 minutes slow jogging, 2 minutes walking and repeat for your desired run time, just start to feel your heart and respiration rate raise. Then you only need to raise this slowly 2 mins jog 1 min walk, 3 mins jog 1 min walk etc.

Remember it is HARDEST by far to start running after a while it gets easier (not easier NOT easy). Don't worry about sweating when your running, it's normal and shows you are working, I sweat a lot when running, but nothing a shower won't cure.

Breathing is a personal thing and the 2 in 2 out works for some but not all, for me I just try and breathe slowly at a slow and steady rate, really concentrating on exhaling, that way I am ensuring I get enough oxygen when my muscles need it.

Pacing is another thing that comes with time! I have been running for about 6 months and I was trying to pick up my pace and I massively over cooked it over 5km. The best thing to do is to find a SLOW pace that is comfortable but gets your heart pumping. Faster paces come with time, you should be concentrating on time NOT distance at the moment a 20 minute slow run is better than 3 minutes at a pace you can't maintain so walk home and get disheartened.

Good luck don't give up and feel free to ask for any other advice or tips. :biggrin:

Thanks for the reply :smile:

Well, the fact that I've got all the way to Week 8 of the C25K plan, I don't think I should go back to running for 2 mins, then walking. Cos I know I can run for 25 minutes or longer, as I did it three times last week. It just seems this one time today, I just wasn't feeling it for some reason! :frown:

Thanks for the advice about pacing and breathing. I just hope it does eventually come with time....

I was also going to incorporate some HIIT into my weekly runs; so still do the 3 C25K runs (and once I've finished, then three 30 min runs a week), but then do maybe 1/2 HIIT sessions a week? I do Body Pump at the moment too, so I am strengthening my core (can really notice it) and my arms, and I think that is helping when I'm moving my arms....

I guess I need to stop looking at these perfect runners who don't sweat/go red/overheat/can pace perfectly :tongue:
Original post by MHorman
If you can run a mile just jump in at week 5. Will be easy...

Also, why do you always end your posts with the Rolls eyes smilie? It's just weird...

Thanks...and umm I really have no idea, its just an automatic thing...
Original post by dipless
Looking at the program, If you can run 1 mile none stop happily then week 5 will be fine as a starting point... good luck :smile:

Thank you! I will give week 5 a go :biggrin:
just did 56.44 running no idea how far will look at map my run... ouch my calfs are really hurting!
I've just been out running....I hurt my toe somehow! ^_^
I've just been out running....I hurt my toe somehow! ^_^

Glad to hear you got back out there! How long did you go for? Poor toe, rub it better :rolleyes:
Original post by dipless
Glad to hear you got back out there! How long did you go for? Poor toe, rub it better :rolleyes:

I went for 20 minutes- 2.3 miles...I was really in the mood for it today! During study leave, I'm going to try and go every/every other morning....it energizes me and I can concentrate better afterwards :smile: x
I am going to try my week 8 run again tomorrow morning. Wish me luck :tongue:
Original post by teaandcoffee
I am going to try my week 8 run again tomorrow morning. Wish me luck :tongue:

Awesome!! Good Luck! :biggrin: x
I went for 20 minutes- 2.3 miles...I was really in the mood for it today! During study leave, I'm going to try and go every/every other morning....it energizes me and I can concentrate better afterwards :smile: x

Good plan stan :wink: Not a bad pace either, good job. I love an early morning run/swim before work I always have a better day :biggrin:
Awesome!! Good Luck! :biggrin: x

Good luck get out there... hope its warm and sunny for you :smile:
Original post by dipless
Good plan stan :wink: Not a bad pace either, good job. I love an early morning run/swim before work I always have a better day :biggrin:

:biggrin: I just hope I can keep it up! I wish I could fit a run in before college...but I just can't manage it!
For any of you morning runners; do you eat anything before your run?

I'm thinking that my relatively heavy breakfast of porridge and my heavy dinner I had the evening before may not have been the best things to have before my run?

I'm one of those people that has to eat something, otherwise I feel incredibly faint and ill. So I was thinking maybe just one weetabix with some milk before a run, and then afterwards have my usual porridge?
Also is anyone a subscriber to Runners World?
Original post by teaandcoffee
For any of you morning runners; do you eat anything before your run?

I'm thinking that my relatively heavy breakfast of porridge and my heavy dinner I had the evening before may not have been the best things to have before my run?

I'm one of those people that has to eat something, otherwise I feel incredibly faint and ill. So I was thinking maybe just one weetabix with some milk before a run, and then afterwards have my usual porridge?

If i'm out early in the morning i get up and have my usual 4 wheetabix/milk as soon as i wake up... Then i do other stuff for 30 mins including getting changed./getting ready and then go out running or whatever. Feels fine to me...
Original post by SebMurphy
Has anyone entered the London Marathon ballot?
ive just entered, it will be my first marathon if i get in :biggrin:
Got the great north run as a B race, which should give me a pretty good idea how my training is going.

I've entered the ballot, though because I'm applying from outside the UK my chances of getting in are minimal. If I get in, it will either be my 4th or 5th marathon, depending on whether I do Dublin in October or not. Either way, I'll be hoping to get 3:50 in my next marathon - if I do, I'll be using a London-based friend's address for a Good For Age application for London 2013.

Finally recovering from the injury I picked up in Barcelona, was off the road completely for nearly 4 weeks and still haven't run more than 9km since then. ITBS is evil. :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
My friend in real life has decided to run a half marathon in october for Ms as her grandad recently died of it and her mum has just been diagnosed. As the only one of her friends that even remotely runs i've offered to help her out... Atm she can't run at all...

Thinking of starting her out on couch to 5k for the next 8/9 weeks and then from there go for like 3 runs a week with a long run slowly increasing up to near HM distance and a middleish distance working on pacing or something and a HIIT session... Could use this as a good incentive to finally improve my running properly...
Just checked this thread and it had 2222 replies... SPOOKAY

Latest