The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

manx1991
Check out Runner's World's Event Listings they pretty much got all the events 5k + that are taking place around the UK and users post their own opinions on the event so you get a pretty good idea of what it's be like.

You might also want to check out the series of Race for Life events that are taking place May/June/July time. Since these are 5k and all female they're generally a great introduction to running and non competitive.

Good luck. I've been running for 10 weeks on and off, and only recently started sticking to a proper schedule. You'll be amazed at how quickly you improve if you try!

Thank you! That's really helpful.

Ooooh it's so exciting. I know I'll train a whole lot better if I actually have a target to hit (ie a race).
Reply 221
I'm just trying to get back into running again as I lost a lot of fitness , then found it hard to make the effort to go when I couldn't go very far. Ran about 2.7 Km today , rather slowly and hoping to build that up.
Do you guys find you work harder if you have an aim like a race or can you just find the motivation to do it because you like running? Just wondering whether I should try and work towards something to keep myself motivated...
Auraya
I'm just trying to get back into running again as I lost a lot of fitness , then found it hard to make the effort to go when I couldn't go very far. Ran about 2.7 Km today , rather slowly and hoping to build that up.
Do you guys find you work harder if you have an aim like a race or can you just find the motivation to do it because you like running? Just wondering whether I should try and work towards something to keep myself motivated...

I find it is definitely a lot easier if I know I have a race coming up
Reply 223
manx1991
I've got to agree with the others. You are giving your body no rest and you'll probably find yourself worse off in the end. All professional and amature athletes I know recommend at least one rest day per week, and generally three runs a week with a long run generally at the weekend- which should always be followed by a rest day.

Most professional and good amateur athletes rest once every 12-14 days, but agreed that should change according to what standard you are running at. But my training is working really well for me and my training partner so I think that perhaps you guys may be mistaken but each to their own!
alex0723
I am only training for races under 10km, so running any further than 13 miles for a long run is rather counter-productive. However you still need to build your base of endurance so it is essential to be running those kind of miles. Agreed It would be better to do 5 miles in the morning then 5 in the evening, but I can't fit that into my daily routine. I am 18 and all good runners my age are running 60+ miles per week, and whilst doing that you can still keep some quality intensity.
Try it, you may be surprised!

My mistake. Reading your week long plan, seeing only one track session and no presence of the word speed, I assumed your considerable endurance base to be conducive to distance running. The point remains, however, that quality is what is important, and I would strongly advocate at least a rest day. Do you have a coach?
alex0723
Most professional and good amateur athletes rest once every 12-14 days, but agreed that should change according to what standard you are running at. But my training is working really well for me and my training partner so I think that perhaps you guys may be mistaken but each to their own!

Can you cite any sources for this please? I'd be intrigued to read more.
Reply 226
raspberryswirl
I find it is definitely a lot easier if I know I have a race coming up

Thanks, I might try to look into races around where I live

I wanted to go running tomorrow, but doubt I'll have time in between revision. Can't wait for exams to be over!
Auraya

I wanted to go running tomorrow, but doubt I'll have time in between revision. Can't wait for exams to be over!

I actually find I study better if I'm running quite a bit too. During my semester 1 exams this year, I started almost every day by going out and running 5-6 miles, I found that when I came back to study that my head was much clearer and that my concentration was better.

I also set a 5k PB 2 days before I started my exams, 24.04 :smile:
Reply 228
Gypsy King
Can you cite any sources for this please? I'd be intrigued to read more.

http://www.runnerslife.co.uk/Guest-Runners

Sessions can still be quality while you are doing lots of miles. I think people are misinterpreting my weekly training, lots of my runs are steady allowing my body to recovery between sessions. This is key to becoming a good athlete over the longer distances so is perfect for me as I am training for the cross country and road races.... and yes I do have a coach
I really want to run today as I am revising all day for me last exam.
Hopefully I will early evening.
Reply 230
Apocalypte
I actually find I study better if I'm running quite a bit too. During my semester 1 exams this year, I started almost every day by going out and running 5-6 miles, I found that when I came back to study that my head was much clearer and that my concentration was better.

I also set a 5k PB 2 days before I started my exams, 24.04 :smile:

Well , to be honest, revision was the reason I started running again as a bit of stress relief, but it's my last exam tomorrow, and as I can't revise at night I'm putting revising before running. Thinking I'll go tomorrow, or definitely Thursday.

And wow congrats on that :smile: I run very slowly but hopefully I'll get a bit faster over time.
My problem is that I have to 'stride' too much when I go for a run.

My sporting background is always in team games (rugby,football,netball,basketball,etc) where the emphasis is on short sprints with recovery time.

When I go for an extended jog, I find it really hard, almost painful, to jog really really slowly. I just feel the jar in my knees a little more and need to stride longer, therefore jog a little too fast.

Then I can't go for as long because I'm knackered...

Ah well, I did a successful 6 miles or so this morning in the freezing cold in around 55 minutes so I'm pretty happy with that :smile:
yay, finished exams.
Now i can run more. so tonight will do a nice long run.
i need to get running again for summer and competitions.
xxxx
indie_couture
yay, finished exams.
Now i can run more. so tonight will do a nice long run.
i need to get running again for summer and competitions.
xxxx

grr!
mine dont finish until tomorrow :frown:
although i have just got back from a run, only 3.5k but there was some serious wind blowing at me. was jiggered when i got in.
SebMurphy
grr!
mine dont finish until tomorrow :frown:
although i have just got back from a run, only 3.5k but there was some serious wind blowing at me. was jiggered when i got in.

only one day!! just got back from running. I really enjoyed it. I feel nice and refreshed now. xxx
alex0723
http://www.runnerslife.co.uk/Guest-Runners
Sessions can still be quality while you are doing lots of miles. I think people are misinterpreting my weekly training, lots of my runs are steady allowing my body to recovery between sessions. This is key to becoming a good athlete over the longer distances so is perfect for me as I am training for the cross country and road races.... and yes I do have a coach

I have been told that 40 min easy run is a max for a recovery. Further than this is not effective since it is to short to be training for distance and much too slow to help with speed and too far to be a recovery run. Junk miles is what I would call it.

2 x 5 mile recovery runs a day I can see the logic perhaps but this is easier than one 10 mile run a day. It isnt the same. I also think you are a little naive with your association between mileage and performance. Long term at your mileage, particularly at your young age, it is an injury risk.

If you were really training for under 10k as you say you should be doing a more effective regieme. If you had a rest day, with decent speedwork and decent sprint training I think you'd perform better on a lower mileage.

I actually have raced everything from 3000m to a half marathon and believe me despite lots more miles when I trained for the half marathon my middle distance times got a lot slower. Since I'm only reasonably competitive at middle distance and havent yet the experience to perform at long distance I think killing myself with miles was a bit futile exercise. I doubt I ever got to 50 miles a week even then.

So I do have some logic and personal experience behind the advice I gave but whatever you chose to do good luck.

ran again today! enjoyed it too. I want to do some speed sessions though. but i just love doing long runs.
indie_couture
I want to do some speed sessions though. but i just love doing long runs.

Ditto... actually forcing myself to do speedwork is probably the hardest part of any training program for me. Need to start doing some though if I'm going to get a sub-4 hour marathon this year!
going to do a speed session tonight. I have been looking in to HIIT, and most people say you can't do more than 20mins if you do a proper session so it would save time. I think what I will do is run around the river near me twice and do say 1min fast and 30sec recovery or something, though i suppose i will just have to see, that might be to much but i can change it and see.
xxxx
Tried to do a speed session, but didn't really work, it was windy and there was quite a lot of people about so kind of just ran like normal. Today at 3 ish I may go to this big field near me and there are some hills so go up there a few times.
I am running a lot these couple of days but there are parties and I don't want to gain any weight due to drinking etc...

Latest