The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I can't run very fast but decided to go for a 5k today. Did it in 26:15, which I later found out was about average for most people. I'm trying to get that time down now, any tips?
Original post by Isometrix
I can't run very fast but decided to go for a 5k today. Did it in 26:15, which I later found out was about average for most people. I'm trying to get that time down now, any tips?

Good time if you don't run much.

How many days a week can you commit to and how serious are you likely to be?

I could help you come up with a big long term plan that would probably see it drop a fair amount under 20 minutes but if its a passing fad there's not much point.
Original post by warwickorbristol
Good time if you don't run much.

How many days a week can you commit to and how serious are you likely to be?

I could help you come up with a big long term plan that would probably see it drop a fair amount under 20 minutes but if its a passing fad there's not much point.

Haha i'm actually a regular runner (4-5 times a week), but i'm just not very fast. I can go long distances at a steady pace though as my stamina isn't too bad. But as well as endurance I now also want to improve my pace, which is why I just recently attempted a 5k, to see how fast I can complete it in.

Could I please hear your long term plan :smile:
Original post by teaandcoffee

Nope I don't have a track anywhere near me unfortunately. I am going to finish my week 9 C25K runs, then start incorporating some interval training into my weekly routine.. and hopefully this will help me out a bit!

Just wanted to ask how interval training would improve my time? Sorry if thats a little ignorant - i'm quite tired and dumb today :tongue:

To put it simply, it makes you more efficient. Improved stroke volume and cardiac output, improved lung capacity, faster leg turnover, lactate tolerance. Lots of things. Obviously you need to mix it up to avoid reaching a plateau.
Haha i'm actually a regular runner (4-5 times a week), but i'm just not very fast. I can go long distances at a steady pace though as my stamina isn't too bad. But as well as endurance I now also want to improve my pace, which is why I just recently attempted a 5k, to see how fast I can complete it in.

Could I please hear your long term plan :smile:

Well it's all about periodisation. Initially you need to build up a really strong aerobic base, then add muscle/tendon strength work before getting into the speed work. Importantly you need to keep in touch with your basic speed all year round through strides, accelerations etc.

What does your current training look like?

I have quite a hefty PDF you might want to read that will explain the theory behind it.
Well it's all about periodisation. Initially you need to build up a really strong aerobic base, then add muscle/tendon strength work before getting into the speed work. Importantly you need to keep in touch with your basic speed all year round through strides, accelerations etc.

What does your current training look like?

I have quite a hefty PDF you might want to read that will explain the theory behind it.

I'm really interested in this, please could you send me that pdf, would love to know more :smile:

As for my current training in a week i do a 10k outside (although at a leisurely pace, right now about 57mins), a session of HIIT (the treadmill calculates all the inclines and speeds for me - i just want to be drenched in sweat), a run where i start with a set pace (usually 10 to 11kph) and then increase the pace for a certain distance and return back to my set pace. And another type of run i go for is on a course where the terrain is quite hilly, so there are lengths where its really quite steep.

I usually vary these over the week as I like to have a good mix of different forms of running. But now I want to improve my pace for the 5k (because with HIIT although i'm running fast, can only sustain that speed for about 40 secs).
I'm really interested in this, please could you send me that pdf, would love to know more :smile:

As for my current training in a week i do a 10k outside (although at a leisurely pace, right now about 57mins), a session of HIIT (the treadmill calculates all the inclines and speeds for me - i just want to be drenched in sweat), a run where i start with a set pace (usually 10 to 11kph) and then increase the pace for a certain distance and return back to my set pace. And another type of run i go for is on a course where the terrain is quite hilly, so there are lengths where its really quite steep.

I usually vary these over the week as I like to have a good mix of different forms of running. But now I want to improve my pace for the 5k (because with HIIT although i'm running fast, can only sustain that speed for about 40 secs).

http://www.angio.net/personal/run/hadd.pdf

Don't take the routine itself as gospel because it does have a few short comings like letting your speed rot. The general theory behind it all is sound.

Well the good news is your current routine isn't very good so there's a lot of room for improvement. For starters you do your leisurely runs far too fast and you'll see the reasons why in the PDF. Use http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/cgi-bin/calc.pl to calculate your running paces.

If I were you I would look at dropping all but the easy running. I too could hold a good pace for a minute or so but then start to really feel the effects, counter intuitively slow running really does sort it out. My routine before I got injured (Trying to catch up on sessions I missed - the worst thing you can do) looked like;

Mon - 30-45 mins easy
Tues - 60 mins easy
Weds - Off
Thurs - 30 mins easy followed by 15 minutes of diagonals (Kinda similar to HIIT, all about leg turnover)
Fri - 60 mins easy
Sat - Off
Sun - 90 mins easy

Build up to it though don't jump straight in. When you get to that stage hold for a few weeks then you can start to introduce sessions if you want but I'm fairly sure you'll get big results over 5k and upwards sticking to the easy running.
5 miles today in 48:09 :biggrin: Under 10:00/mile pace. Once again very happy with myself.
http://www.angio.net/personal/run/hadd.pdf

Don't take the routine itself as gospel because it does have a few short comings like letting your speed rot. The general theory behind it all is sound.

Thanks, it's really heavy haha have only read a bit of it so far. Did you write it?
Thanks, it's really heavy haha have only read a bit of it so far. Did you write it?

No haha.
Reply 2410
Completed Week 1 C25K today :biggrin: This day was so much harder than the previous two for some reason, honestly felt like I was going to faint after. Might have been the Sun, was shining on my head throughout.

I honestly can't see myself doing Week 2 especially after how difficult I found Week 1. We'll see.

Anybody else find Week 1 really difficult?
Original post by RedGuy
Completed Week 1 C25K today :biggrin: This day was so much harder than the previous two for some reason, honestly felt like I was going to faint after. Might have been the Sun, was shining on my head throughout.

I honestly can't see myself doing Week 2 especially after how difficult I found Week 1. We'll see.

Anybody else find Week 1 really difficult?

Stick with it mate. I doubt you'll be able to do any real damage on that routine so just grit your teeth, eventually the improvements will start to filter through and it will be easy :smile:

If you really can't do a certain week then just repeat the last week you could do.
I feel like I'll have to start C25K all over again - it's been almost a week since I went for a run :erm:
Original post by Aemiliana
I feel like I'll have to start C25K all over again - it's been almost a week since I went for a run :erm:

Repeat your last week. You don't lose conditioning that quickly and muscle memory should help regain any you did.
10km chalked up today in 58:55 :smile: seriously considering entering a half marathon at the end of next month (the humber half in Hull). I'll decide nearer the time i think.
congrats thats awesome! Want to run today but with my headache don't think it's wise!
Original post by dipless
congrats thats awesome! Want to run today but with my headache don't think it's wise!

If it's self-inflicted - HTFU and sweat the beer out :wink:
Original post by Apocalypte
If it's self-inflicted - HTFU and sweat the beer out :wink:

Unfortunately it's not I only had 1 bottle last night (of beer that is :wink: )! Then was on soft stuff! Sadl I think it may be the start of a migrane... dark room here I come!
I HAVE FINISHED MY C25K PLAN :biggrin:

Now just to get my 5k comfortably under 30 or so minutes. :smile:
I HAVE FINISHED MY C25K PLAN :biggrin:

Now just to get my 5k comfortably under 30 or so minutes. :smile:

Wahey, well done :smile:

How you planning to do that then?

Latest