The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

happydinosaur
Anyway I've just signed up for my first event :biggrin: Doing the Mersey Tunnel 10K at the end of May with my mum. Should be an interesting one, not looking forward to the incline out of the tunnel :p: Just come back from a morning run, did 4k which is the furthest I've ever run (been doing 3k for a while now) and I'm happy that I did it in 30 minutes.

Only just read your post- I'm looking into doing the tunnel too, that or the women's 10k at the beginning of May. Apparently the scenery once you're out of the tunnel is amazing- and some people say they had expected the incline to be a lot worse than it was, just get practicing those hills :yes:
Reply 281
manx1991
I would wait until there's no pain. If it's over a week you might want to go to your GP or a physio to get it checked out, it's quite possible it is a stress fracture and by running on it you'll pretty much be putting yourself on crutches.

Doing proper warm up and cool down stretches will greatly help the pain. This was one major lesson I learnt when I first started running- after my first run I literally ached all over. Slowly this disappeared and now I only ache after a really decent cardio session (like my club session on Tuesday, only just feeling normal today :rolleyes: )

Thanks for the advice. Repped!
manx1991
Only just read your post- I'm looking into doing the tunnel too, that or the women's 10k at the beginning of May. Apparently the scenery once you're out of the tunnel is amazing- and some people say they had expected the incline to be a lot worse than it was, just get practicing those hills

My mum did the tunnel last year, she said it was a good run. I imagine the scenery on the other side would be quite nice, as the run goes from Liverpool over to the Wirral (where I'm from) so you get some cool docks and old industrial areas and then along down to the coast which has some lovely views!
definetly running tomorrrow, and have spinning too.
I have had a pretty much exercise free week :frown:
My diet had been great, tonight being one of the worst but tomorrow is a fresh start.
Reply 284
I must agree about the endorphins. YOu may not want to go for a run, but once they kick in, well I atleast feel brilliant (o yeah, forget that ominent essay:rolleyes: ).

I'm lucky enough to be able to go fell running (well I think so, most of the time). I run anything from a mile to about 10 miles (I think, I don't usually measure my runs). The time I run for varies from about 39 minutes to 4 hours, which depends on the distance, how fit I am and how much motivation I have (which seriously runs low sometimes).
As for aims, umm well I don't particularly have any, sometimes I wonder how I even get of out of bed. Songs I find motivational are the ones I run to, the obvious Eye of the Tiger and I think Hey Ya is good too, but I also find the The Killers' songs to be a welcome break.
i joined the gym, i thought i would just go for it. Spinning was so tiring today but felt good after thursday and fridays unhealthyness.
I am going to run later for about 30-40mins too.
Now i am a member i think i will do some HIIT at the gym and then long runs outside. I'm also booked in for LBT, Ab and back, spinning on thurs and sat and step. I am excited!

Update:
I didnt want to make another post right below the last so thought id just edit this.
I went for the run, ended up being about 25-30mins, it got really dark and the route I was doing isnt sensible to do when its dark.
But I am quite pleased as I also have done spinning.
no ones posted in a while.
Well i have given up chocolate for lent and managed a day and a half! I'm also trying to only snack on fruit and generally healthier.
At the gym tonight, going to do a 15-20min run then have spinning.
Today i have eaten quite healthy-ish had a bowl of cereal, carrot and corriander soup, slice bread and strawberry yoghurt and a few crisps.
Will probably have an apple in 30mins then nothing more till tea. Going out for an indian, I will try and get a non-creamy tomoto based sauce and chicken and go easy on the rice. Then going drinking after, not so good, but i wil try to stick to my diet coke and vodka!
xxx
indie_couture
no ones posted in a while.
Well i have given up chocolate for lent and managed a day and a half! I'm also trying to only snack on fruit and generally healthier.
At the gym tonight, going to do a 15-20min run then have spinning.
Today i have eaten quite healthy-ish had a bowl of cereal, carrot and corriander soup, slice bread and strawberry yoghurt and a few crisps.
Will probably have an apple in 30mins then nothing more till tea. Going out for an indian, I will try and get a non-creamy tomoto based sauce and chicken and go easy on the rice. Then going drinking after, not so good, but i wil try to stick to my diet coke and vodka!
xxx

Hmm this thread is getting quite slow. Good on the chocolate- I've had to give it up cause of my nut allergy so we're in this together! My sister has also given it up... then almost ate a chocolate mousse today.

Going to try a mile later, my 5.35min 1k yesterday was quite pleasing so going to push a little harder today... just got to be careful with my dodgy knee!
Reply 288
cjdodsworth

How far do you run?
How long do you run for?
Where do you run?
What do you listen to?
Why do you do it?
Do you have any aims?

etc.

I don't know the distance that I run as I run by time. I started running the back end of January, my first run was half an hour, then I got it up to an hour, done a 2 hour run and a couple of 3 hour runs. Although I am suppose to be going for a run with my mate on Sunday and he wants to do an 18 mile run. If I'm running on my own, I just do repeated laps of this path in front of my house. If I'm running with my mate, we usually run to Huyton in Liverpool and back, and then do a few laps round a local park.

I don't listen to anything when I'm running. I've been attacked from behind twice so I need to hear what is going on around me. I also have trouble keeping my Ipod earphones in at the best of times, never mind when in motion.

I intially started running for weight loss but now me and my mate have signed up for the Blackpool marathon in April so we are aiming to complete that. My main aim is to lose the last bit of flab that I have round my waist which is practically going now and to finish my first marathon.
Reply 289
Wren
Wow! That's impressive, you've only been running for a month and you've been doing 3 hour runs! Well done :smile:

Good luck in the marathon, considering the times/distances you're already running you'll do it easy!

I think it's more to do with the mind than the body. Obviously the physical aspect plays an important part but I think self-belief and motivation have a huge part to play. Running a marathon has been one of my goals for a long time but I could never motivate myself to train. I kept thinking 'I've not been running yet, I'll sign up for one once I've started training'.

Then my mate told me he was signing up for the Blackpool marathon and asked me if I was going to do it, and immediately I started thinking of every alibi and excuse in the book; and then I just thought **** it, I'll do it. Since I've signed up, I've now got the motivation and the incentive to train because I've got a definite goal to aim for.

I've read 'Ultramarathon man' by Dean Karnazes and he regularly runs 100 mile endurance events. He says that he runs the first 50 miles with his legs and the other 50 with his head/heart. I'm aiming to do at least a four hour run before the marathon and I reckon if I can do that, I should be able to go the distance on the day. I've got the 'Competitive Runners Handbook' and I think the average time for most first timers is 3-4 hours.
iwwhty
I'm aiming to do at least a four hour run before the marathon and I reckon if I can do that, I should be able to go the distance on the day. I've got the 'Competitive Runners Handbook' and I think the average time for most first timers is 3-4 hours.

My longest run before my first marathon was about 3:30, about 20 miles. I finished in 4:24 on the day, with relatively even half splits of 2:11 and 2:13. (Dublin is hillier in the second half of the race) Honestly, I don't think you need to do a 4 hour run in training, depends on your pace though. If you're running for time, then probably 3:00-3:30 will be fine as your longest training run, but that probably also depends on your midweek training volume too.
Reply 291
Apocalypte
My longest run before my first marathon was about 3:30, about 20 miles. I finished in 4:24 on the day, with relatively even half splits of 2:11 and 2:13. (Dublin is hillier in the second half of the race) Honestly, I don't think you need to do a 4 hour run in training, depends on your pace though. If you're running for time, then probably 3:00-3:30 will be fine as your longest training run, but that probably also depends on your midweek training volume too.

I'm just aiming to finish it to be honest with you. Ideally I would like to get an average time but as long as I make it to the finish line, that's all I'm bothered about. Thanks for the advice.
i dont think i could manage long runs, my knees begin to hurt and get really sore.
I went to the gym yesterday and went on the treadmill and did a 'river run', it was hard and had inclines. But i did it for the 30mins and i so wanted to stop!
i want to run today but was out last night, might be tonight too and i dont feel great. But i will try!
xxx
Reply 293
indie_couture
i dont think i could manage long runs, my knees begin to hurt and get really sore.
I went to the gym yesterday and went on the treadmill and did a 'river run', it was hard and had inclines. But i did it for the 30mins and i so wanted to stop!
i want to run today but was out last night, might be tonight too and i dont feel great. But i will try!
xxx

I failed my Royal Navy medical twice because of Osgood Schlatters disease in my left knee. It does get sore after long runs but as long as you warm up properly and allow sufficient rest between runs, you should be okay. My Running shoes have helped alot, I always use to run in standard trainers, but my mate persuaded me to buy some running shoes and it has made a big difference.

The best days to train or to go for a run are the days when you don't want to. The days when you can't even be bothered getting out of bed are the best days to train. You will feel like crap at first but once you've started exercising and the body releases the endorphins or whatever they're called, you will feel great. The sense of accomplishment you will feel as well for forcing yourself to exercise when you've no motivation, is second to none.

I do 2 hour exercise sessions in my house alongside my running, sometimes even before a run, but it's more than physical exercise, it's about mental strength too. The self-discipline and mental strength it gives me, can carry over in to all other areas of my life too. I've been teetotal since July last year and exercise is my drug now.
Reply 294
indie_couture
i dont think i could manage long runs

Don't put any limits on yourself, you're capable of things you can't even contemplate. The only person who will ever hold you back in life is yourself. Look in the mirror and you will see your best friend and your worst enemy at the same time.

I had doubts about my own ability and a complete lack of self-belief for years. I never achieved good grades at school as I just aimed for a pass, I didn't think I was intelligent enough to get the good grades or good enough to go to college or university. The Prince's Trust changed my beliefs about what I was capable of though, and I subsequently scored a Distinction in 17 out of 18 modules at college, gaining an overall Distinction which is equivalent to three A's at A Level. I then got a 2.1 in my Law degree at university.

The bad grades I got at school weren't down to a lack of ability, they were down to a lack of confidence and belief in myself. Maths has always been my most difficult subject so I did my Adult Numeracy Certificate last year and earned my level 1 and level 2 and I'm currently re-taking my GCSE at night college to try and turn my 'E' grade at school, in to something a bit better. Henry Ford said 'If you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right.' The only limits we have are the ones we set ourselves.

When I decided to join the Navy when I was leaving school, I was in poor physical shape. I could barely bang out 2 press ups and probably managed about 3 crunches. At the minute, I'm doing 100 press ups and 2,000 crunches. You just have to be persistent and keep pushing the boundaries. You have to believe you can do it.
I realised i've been running too fast. In around 1 hour and 10 minutes (ish) I run around 7 miles...

I'm trying to cut down the pace. :smile:
Reply 296
Just did about 18 miles in the snow. Surprisingly I find it easier to run in the snow, the snow cushions the impact a bit and I feel less dehydrated. The only problem is my trainers getting soaked with the melting ice puddles.
Kagutsuchi
I realised i've been running too fast. In around 1 hour and 10 minutes (ish) I run around 7 miles...

I'm trying to cut down the pace. :smile:

That's a pretty good pace, around the speed I run (even though not the distance) I vary around 5-6min/km and that's around 6min/km which is great! If you're struggling to increase your distance, definitely look at slowing down but otherwise just look at increasing your distance by 10% each week and you should be more than ok!
Reply 298
Hi, first time here. I went for the strangest of runs on friday. It was an 8 mile run from my house to Powerleague. Anyway, there were several sections where I had to walk for a few minutes after running up hill but I did the whole 8 miles in 1 hour 9 minutes. I'm going to try and do it in under an hour next week!
So, Vibram Five Fingers.
Anybody got some?
I'm seriously considering dishing out the £75 for them when I get paid.

Latest