The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hhh123
Just signed up for my first 1/2 mara!

Which one?
Any target time in mind?
Original post by PorQpine
First 3000 and track competition this year tomorrow.

Let's go!

Nail it! Doing my first 5000 this Saturday as a dress rehearsal for BUCS the following week, when I'm also doing 5000. Hoping for a time close to 16, and then I'll aim to bash the big pb of 15:50 next week.
Reply 4442
2 and a half weeks until Leeds half marathon! Eek!
Reply 4443
I posted in the 'healthy new you' sticky but thought I'd come be excited here too... though it's piss poor in comparison to the kind of running you guys are talking about:

I just completed the first session of C25K! I've never been a runner and I have pretty unpleasant asthma when running so I'm over the moon to have got through it. It was far from comfortable but it was much better than I expected. No slacking! I shall be continuing with this and then running regularly to keep up my cardio. I'm training to be a gym instructor and I'm much more into the idea of strength and flexibility but running is a skill I'd love to develop alongside. :biggrin:
I'm wondering if people ever carry energy drinks/food with them when doing a marathon? I tend to hit the wall pretty early (15mi or so) and am thinking that sugar intake will delay that, but looking at the photos of the london marathon, no one carries anything! So does everyone just drink water?
Original post by nexttime
I'm wondering if people ever carry energy drinks/food with them when doing a marathon? I tend to hit the wall pretty early (15mi or so) and am thinking that sugar intake will delay that, but looking at the photos of the london marathon, no one carries anything! So does everyone just drink water?

Lots of people seem to like gels, which are small enough to fit in a pocket or - apparently - safety pin to yourself? :lolwut:

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/marathoners/many-gels-during-marathon

I did see a few people having some gels going round. That and I've always been under the impression they also have drinks like lucozade etc. And jelly beans!

At Brighton loads of people were carrying energy gels, and energy 'bloks' (jelly cubes) were provided at two points. A lot of people carry gels in belts around their waist. I didn't see many at London though- perhaps there were more energy stations on course so people didn't bring their own?

I didn't train for my Marathon using extra energy but on the day I consumed about 8 bloks and a half bottle of Powerade- I think the extra energy hit really made the difference and stopped me from hitting the wall between 19 and 21. Fortunately I had no nasty stomach upsets but it is always advised to train in an identical way to how you intend to run- ie. if you think you'll take on a gel or two on the big day, make sure you've tried them out on your long training runs first.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4448
Ran for 77mins with 4kg wrist weights! :biggrin:
Original post by kka25
Ran for 77mins with 4kg wrist weights! :biggrin:

Fair play!
Reply 4450
Original post by SebMurphy
Which one?
Any target time in mind?

Plymouth! And erm if I am honest my main target is to cross the finish line, never mind have a good time!
Original post by standreams
At Brighton loads of people were carrying energy gels, and energy 'bloks' (jelly cubes) were provided at two points. A lot of people carry gels in belts around their waste. I didn't see many at London though- perhaps there were more energy stations on course so people didn't bring their own?

I didn't train for my Marathon using extra energy but on the day I consumed about 8 bloks and a half bottle of Powerade- I think the extra energy hit really made the difference and stopped me from hitting the wall between 19 and 21. Fortunately I had no nasty stomach upsets but it is always advised to train in an identical way to how you intend to run- ie. if you think you'll take on a gel or two on the big day, make sure you've tried them out on your long training runs first.

'Bloks' and 'gels' huh? I'll have to look these up.

I wish the person who negged you could just have said why they disagreed - would be far more useful to everyone :s-smilie:

Original post by Cirsium
Lots of people seem to like gels, which are small enough to fit in a pocket or - apparently - safety pin to yourself? :lolwut:

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/marathoners/many-gels-during-marathon

Website down for maintenance! I'll check it out later.

Original post by Yellow-nutshell
I did see a few people having some gels going round. That and I've always been under the impression they also have drinks like lucozade etc. And jelly beans!

You mean, provided by the event organisers? I don't think that would be usual, but maybe. It would be nice if so!
(edited 12 years ago)
x

Check with the website for the marathon you're doing- it should tell you if they provide energy stations or just water; for example, the one I'm doing provides mainly water but two sports drink stations and two gel stations in the second half.

I'm planning on just bringing my own bottle of lucozade sport; I don't mind carrying it and I seem to do better on runs where I drink it instead of water. Also, I agree with standreams- if you're thinking of bringing gels/bloks, it's probably best to try them out on a run before the race. Personally I'm not keen on gels at all; I tried them on two long runs and didn't really notice any difference (certainly didn't think they were worth the horrible taste :tongue: ) but they do seem really popular so they might be worth a try if you have time.
Original post by Ronove
I posted in the 'healthy new you' sticky but thought I'd come be excited here too... though it's piss poor in comparison to the kind of running you guys are talking about:

I just completed the first session of C25K! I've never been a runner and I have pretty unpleasant asthma when running so I'm over the moon to have got through it. It was far from comfortable but it was much better than I expected. No slacking! I shall be continuing with this and then running regularly to keep up my cardio. I'm training to be a gym instructor and I'm much more into the idea of strength and flexibility but running is a skill I'd love to develop alongside. :biggrin:

Well done :smile: Don't worry much about it being uncomfortable; it gets a lot easier and more enjoyable with practice. We all start somewhere!

You mean, provided by the event organisers? I don't think that would be usual, but maybe. It would be nice if so!

The half marathon I'm doing in June has energy drink stations! :biggrin:
Original post by hhh123
Plymouth! And erm if I am honest my main target is to cross the finish line, never mind have a good time!

I shall see you there! I'm helping marshal that one.

Had a really good run tonight and had a rocket up my bum for the first km - managed 4m 22.:eek: By my standards, that is bloody fast. 7 or 8km/m is normal for me.

My running partner is back now.:biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by OU Student
I shall see you there! I'm helping marshal that one.

Had a really good run tonight and had a rocket up my bum for the first km - managed 4m 22.:eek: By my standards, that is bloody fast. 7 or 8km/m is normal for me.

My running partner is back now.:biggrin:

You shall see me at plym too! Running with miss optimistic hhh123 :wink:
Reply 4457
Hey I am new to this thread, I was wondering if there was any 5km events in London, I want to start low at first before hitting a 10km one

The only one I can find is the race for life, which men can't do
Original post by Caspa
Hey I am new to this thread, I was wondering if there was any 5km events in London, I want to start low at first before hitting a 10km one

The only one I can find is the race for life, which men can't do

Check out something called parkrun. It's free and is 5km.
Reply 4459
Original post by OU Student
Check out something called parkrun. It's free and is 5km.

Nice will check that out there is one near me, but I was wondering as well about a bigger event as well abit like the race for life, but open to men

Latest