The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4500
Despite having insane sciatica going on every so often down my right leg, I did my first week 2 run of C25K this morning at sunrise... then did it again, with only about 3 mins walking in between the last and first runs. I feel slightly mental for doing it but it was enjoyable and I didn't feel done after the first go. Unfortunately I had a blister on the back of one of my ankles and when I got back home and started stretching I noticed both ankles, especially that one, had bled all down the back of my shiny new trainers... which are a very pale, very luminous lime green at that spot. Not anymore! :s-smilie:
Managed to drag myself round another 5.6k-er this morning. Finally getting back into the swing of running regularly :h:
Original post by CantThinkOfaUsername
Marathon in a few days time! Finding this last part of tapering very frustrating; I come home from class every day just wanting to run :redface: I feel more tired and keep sleeping in past my alarm in the mornings which I never do; is this supposed to happen? :tongue: I'm guessing it's just due to the lack of running being a change from my normal routine. I'll be sure to set an extra few alarms on race day though (not that I'm likely to sleep much the night before anyway).

I feel your pain. Before my first Marathon (Brighton, in April) I tapered for two weeks as I had picked up a foot injury. Still did a bit of cross-training but I was on edge, tired, lethargic, sluggish and moody most of the time. Only got 1 hour of sleep before the big day but it made no difference- on the morning of the race I felt fresh, alert and hungry to get on with it and 'win' (by 'win' I mean finish, raise lots of money for my charity, enjoy the day and hopefully hit my target time). I can honestly say that I have never felt so happy, proud and at full of contentment as when I crossed the finish line, and that buzz lasted a good 2-3 days. I'm sure you'll feel the same. Just try to relax but stay focused on why you are running and what you hope to achieve, and get all your kit sorted the night before (and get an early night even if you can't sleep). Good luck!
Reply 4503
Original post by Cirsium
Managed to drag myself round another 5.6k-er this morning. Finally getting back into the swing of running regularly :h:

:dance:
Reply 4504
Original post by HuyTaa
Running shoes coming to it's end :frown:
Anyone recommend any decent ones?

Asics shoes! The Gel on your feet makes you :sexface:

:biggrin:
Reply 4505
Does anyone here use a Polar HRM watch?
Reply 4506
Original post by HuyTaa

As kka25 said, Asics have a very good rep. However I just bought some new Nikes and got Sofsole insoles to use in them instead of the standard insole. The insoles cost £25 and make the trainers soooooooo good. Like, soooooo good. I haven't tried Asics myself so by all means try them out first but do consider experimenting with these insoles. There are different kinds depending on your pronation and cushioning/structure needs. They could work out rivalling an Asics pair for a bit less cash.
Original post by HuyTaa

I currently use New Balance and have had no problems with them. What do you currently use?
Reply 4508
Original post by OU Student
I currently use New Balance and have had no problems with them. What do you currently use?

currently using some Nikes , not sure what like model they are, but they're pretty old and crummy now haha
Reply 4509
I appear to have cured my sciatica by stretching my piriformis muscle a lot. However I'm still getting nerve shooting pain in my lower leg when I put weight on my knee in a bent position. I'm therefore pretty sure this part is a knee problem. Does anyone have any advice as to taking care of my knees and how likely this is to stop happening as I work through C25K? Does it mean I should have more rest in between runs? Does it mean I should be doing hot/cold treatment on my knee? I'm under the impression that it's not necessarily increasing long-term damage being done to my knee so I'm not going to give up on running. I just don't know whether I should be modifying what I do/when I do it and whether this pain will disappear as my knee gets used to running.
If it were a knee problem it wouldn't be likely to be shooting pain. If you had sciatica before then it kind of seems more likely that it's not completely cured than that you have two separate problems resulting in shooting pain, especially if the cause was your piriformis. Having a bent knee and bearing weight will put the hip in a different position too, so your piriformis being in a different position could be causing the pain even though it's not all the way down your leg.

I don't know anything helpful about how to solve it except treating it as a knee problem is likely to be a waste of time.
Reply 4511
Original post by The Troll Toll
If it were a knee problem it wouldn't be likely to be shooting pain. If you had sciatica before then it kind of seems more likely that it's not completely cured than that you have two separate problems resulting in shooting pain, especially if the cause was your piriformis. Having a bent knee and bearing weight will put the hip in a different position too, so your piriformis being in a different position could be causing the pain even though it's not all the way down your leg.

I don't know anything helpful about how to solve it except treating it as a knee problem is likely to be a waste of time.

Yes but I had both these problems, then got rid of the sciatica by working on my piriformis. I'm not going to pretend I know about the sciatic nerve but I can't imagine how it can be that nerve when it only triggers below my knee and a bit down my shin without me feeling any nerve pain above my knee at all. If it was still getting trapped in my piriformis it would cause typical sciatic pain down by my hip/bum/upper leg, surely?
I don't know. Nerves are complicated things. See a doctor I suppose.
Reply 4513
Original post by The Troll Toll
I don't know. Nerves are complicated things. See a doctor I suppose.

Probably a good call. :sad:
Original post by HuyTaa
currently using some Nikes , not sure what like model they are, but they're pretty old and crummy now haha

The nike pegausus line's great I've had 2 generations of them and they keep getting better, at the moment i've got the adidas adistar 4 but they've got a bit too much cushioning but I guess they'd be great if you only run on the roads :smile:
Why have I been unsubbed from this thread? :sad:

Marathon ballot entered. If I get it me and a mate are going to run both Paris and London.
I ache sooo much. And it was only 8.2km :sad:
Reply 4517
Do any of you have any advice for strapping up knees whilst running? It's got to the point where I can't even run 5k without my knees starting to hurt and it's really starting to annoy me!
Need to strengthen my quads to make it improve but want to still be able to run pain free in the mean time :smile:
Up to trek to Northampton to do the inaugural Northampton Parkrun. :yawn:
Reply 4519
Original post by Cirsium
I ache sooo much. And it was only 8.2km :sad:

Went for a run just now as well; whilst I was running, I felt so tired and feeling a bit low :sad:

Latest