The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4620
Broke my record! I ran for 100min today! :biggrin:
Original post by kka25
Broke my record! I ran for 100min today! :biggrin:

Nice.

I don't know where you live, but for most town-dwellers, once you get up to 10 miles, 15 miles you can start getting out of the urban area and into some really nice routes. Best thing about running!
Original post by KingMessi
Okay, cool. Have you done any outdoor 5K's before? Twenty-five minutes is pretty good, and your time over the longer distance isn't much slower at all - one would expect you to improve on your 5K time after that run. Do try one outside - I will always and forever recommend a Parkrun if you have one close to you...

I do know about parkrun and I think I'm gonna do my first one next Saturday as I would have finished my exams by then. It would then be interesting to see how fast I am with 5k outside.
Just did my first half-marathon. 1hr, 56min, 29s which is much better than I thought I would do. Feeling absolutely pumped mentally, but at the same time the lower part of my body refuses to move anywhere.

Great North Run in September, now I got a time to beat :p:!
I had a run last night. Roughly 6k, evidently need to keep it up. Knackard.
Reply 4625
Original post by nexttime
Nice.

I don't know where you live, but for most town-dwellers, once you get up to 10 miles, 15 miles you can start getting out of the urban area and into some really nice routes. Best thing about running!

I haven't activated my foot pod yet so I don't really know the distance I ran. Could we tell the distance from the duration we ran?

Yeah, but once we go too far, it's quite a looong walk back home :redface:
Original post by extons
Why? :frown:

I've pulled (?) something in the back of my knee. I can't run without it clicking. My HM is in 5 weeks and have been told to just rest. By the time HM comes around, I wouldn't have done adequate training.

I can't even do a mile without it hurting.

If anyone wants a Torbay half place, PM me.
Original post by kka25

Yeah, but once we go too far, it's quite a looong walk back home :redface:

Extra motivation to not stop running :wink:

Map out where you went on google maps or something!
Original post by Chrisateen
I do know about parkrun and I think I'm gonna do my first one next Saturday as I would have finished my exams by then. It would then be interesting to see how fast I am with 5k outside.

Which one would you do? Yes, exams always seem to have a detrimental effect upon one's fitness - they did for mine, anyway. I think the good thing about running Parkrun - or with anyone - is having people around you helps you to speed up going into the later stages of the run. It can sometimes prove difficult to push yourself over the last 500m/1K, but if you've got someone to spur you on, you can improve your time when you didn't expect to...
Congratulations. Which Parkrun did you do? :biggrin: Do you intend to do them again?

The leeds one, do you do one? Yeah definitely! Really looking forward to it, i'll have my barcode next week, so my name will come up on the results rather then just unknown :smile:
Original post by Tiger_Lilly92
The leeds one, do you do one? Yeah definitely! Really looking forward to it, i'll have my barcode next week, so my name will come up on the results rather then just unknown :smile:

Oh, is that far? I have done five different ones; living in London, I have lots around me, and my family are keen Parkrunners so we travel to a number of them; my father's done twelve different ones. That's good. :smile: It's a very infectious habit to get into...:colondollar:
Oh, is that far? I have done five different ones; living in London, I have lots around me, and my family are keen Parkrunners so we travel to a number of them; my father's done twelve different ones. That's good. :smile: It's a very infectious habit to get into...:colondollar:

How do you mean far? It's 5k but thought they all were :confused:. That sounds lovely travelling to different ones with your family. I may try and get my sister involved when i'm back from uni :biggrin: I can see that already and i've only been to one haha
Original post by Tiger_Lilly92
How do you mean far? It's 5k but thought they all were :confused:. That sounds lovely travelling to different ones with your family. I may try and get my sister involved when i'm back from uni :biggrin: I can see that already and i've only been to one haha

Is it far away from you? :tongue: :colondollar: It's very nice, yes - and I think trying some more difficult/alternative courses helps you when you return to your regular one, as you become better at adjusting pace/judging pace. Oh, you should! It's such a nice start to the weekend...:smile:
Is it far away from you? :tongue: :colondollar: It's very nice, yes - and I think trying some more difficult/alternative courses helps you when you return to your regular one, as you become better at adjusting pace/judging pace. Oh, you should! It's such a nice start to the weekend...:smile:

Oh haha sorry, no its a nice 20 minute walk at most. Yeah i can imagine after doing the same course quite a few times a change would be good to mix things up a bit. Yeah hopefully this week will be as sunny as last time.
Which one would you do? Yes, exams always seem to have a detrimental effect upon one's fitness - they did for mine, anyway. I think the good thing about running Parkrun - or with anyone - is having people around you helps you to speed up going into the later stages of the run. It can sometimes prove difficult to push yourself over the last 500m/1K, but if you've got someone to spur you on, you can improve your time when you didn't expect to...

The closet one is in Finsbury Park. Last week I had a run around the park and it was pretty hard as they had quite a few hills and got a bit scared of dogs without any leashes. However I did manage to do 12k in about 61min so I think doing 5k in less than 25min sounds possible
First off road run. Really good weather, got well into it. Hit about 12/13K in just shy of 1hr and explored parts of my area I've never been to.
Already looking forward to the next one!!
Reply 4636
Did the Leeds half today in 2 hours 10 :smile: Not bad, especially when the first 7 miles were pretty much uphill....and I only have little legs :smile:
Original post by OU Student
I've pulled (?) something in the back of my knee. I can't run without it clicking. My HM is in 5 weeks and have been told to just rest. By the time HM comes around, I wouldn't have done adequate training.

I can't even do a mile without it hurting.

If anyone wants a Torbay half place, PM me.

Aw that sucks. Better to rest up than cause more damage though! Have you been referred to a physio? My knee has been niggly and I've had to have it taped and been given some strengthening exercises to keep me going.

I was quite tempted by the place but it's only 3 weeks after my own first half, so probably not a good idea :tongue:
Original post by Yellow-nutshell
Aw that sucks. Better to rest up than cause more damage though! Have you been referred to a physio? My knee has been niggly and I've had to have it taped and been given some strengthening exercises to keep me going.

Not been referred to a physio. We have one at running club. He's given me some stretches to do and told to see how I get on.
Reply 4639
Signed up for London half marathon and have entered ballot for the London marathon.
This was pretty extreme procrastination!
The half marathon isn't until October, so hopefully I can get my act together and train up over the summer. I'm aiming high for me, and going for a sub 1hr45mins. Will have to see how achievable this is when I start upping my miles!
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest