The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I can run about 2 miles without stopping before I get tired! So thats about 20 minutes, I can't really run many places (I live in a rough area) so I normally go down a backroad that goes into the country, its very pretty (: Sometimes I listen to music, sometimes I like the sound of just me breathing and find it very relaxing it helps me deal with my eating problems as well, I'm trying to change my habits!
Hopefully I am gonna aim for a 5k and work my way up (:
I ran today! i last ran on sunday! I would run tomorrow but I am at sixth form and then working 5-8 so won't have time. Hopefully run on friday and saturday though!
Reply 62
Hey, has anyone else here suffered from shin splints? I've been ignoring them (never a good idea) and it's got to the point where walking is painful for a coupe of days after a run. Went to see a physio, who recommended I got some orthortic insoles made, but they're gonna cost 97 quid :frown:. Has anybody found them useful? I'm prepared to spend the money if it'll let me train but obviously if i'm still gonna suffer there's no point.
L-x
Hey, has anyone else here suffered from shin splints? I've been ignoring them (never a good idea) and it's got to the point where walking is painful for a coupe of days after a run. Went to see a physio, who recommended I got some orthortic insoles made, but they're gonna cost 97 quid :frown:. Has anybody found them useful? I'm prepared to spend the money if it'll let me train but obviously if i'm still gonna suffer there's no point.

I do and its really annoying. I don't know if they do it in London but my unis podiatry department will give you free appointments and free treatment (including free insoles etc). Might be worth looking into if there's anywhere round you that will do it.
L-x

It seems a bit unneccessary to be recommended orthotics for a case of shin splints.

I'd rest your shins for a week and start running again, only if it's a repetitive injury would I consider orthotics. Even then I'd go to a podiatrist rather than a physio.
Reply 65
indie_couture
I ran today! i last ran on sunday! I would run tomorrow but I am at sixth form and then working 5-8 so won't have time. Hopefully run on friday and saturday though!

Well done :smile: It's been so tough round here, gails and really bad rain are making it so hard to run :frown: But the boyfriend's buying me a gorg pair of running trainers (YES! Proper running trainers :p: ) and I'm buying myself some running tights so should make it more bareble! Have the equipment definately gives me more motivation- it's like when I was a kid, used to always want to brush my teeth when I got a new tooth brush xD I've discovered my motivator!
Reply 66
Gazcobain
It seems a bit unneccessary to be recommended orthotics for a case of shin splints.

I'd rest your shins for a week and start running again, only if it's a repetitive injury would I consider orthotics. Even then I'd go to a podiatrist rather than a physio.

Sorry, i wasn't clear when i said i'd been "ignoring them", i meant "not actively seeking treatment, just resting because nobody seemed to think it was serious"

I've been "resting my shins for a week or two" then continuing to train, only to have the problem re-occur slightly worse for the last 4 months. When I was running seriously last year the same thing happened, and then too I kept resting then trying again until eventually I just gave up running completely due to it being so frustrating.

So yeah, it's a repetitive injury.
L-x
Sorry, i wasn't clear when i said i'd been "ignoring them", i meant "not actively seeking treatment, just resting because nobody seemed to think it was serious"

I've been "resting my shins for a week or two" then continuing to train, only to have the problem re-occur slightly worse for the last 4 months. When I was running seriously last year the same thing happened, and then too I kept resting then trying again until eventually I just gave up running completely due to it being so frustrating.

So yeah, it's a repetitive injury.

Your better than me. I've been ignoring my repetative shin pain for about 2 years now.
up till october i ran a lot, but then thanks to a fence jumping accident :eek: i havent been able to run :rant:
my ankle swelled up huge and it still twinges. some kinda ligament injury i think
im hoping that my january i will be able to run again, and also ill have more time coz the exams will be over.

over the summer i intend to so loads of running, up to 45km per week and mix in some weights and bodyweight exercises

i run a sub 50 10k and my next october i want to break 45 mins
i did the great north run this year and got just over 2 hours, i want to do it next year and get 1:45 ish
i would also really like a sub 20 5k but it would be pretty hard to train for all three distances

I usually listen to upbeat rock music when i run, Rammstein and Die Arzte particularly but i found that i get better times on my traning runs if i just run without
SebMurphy
up till october i ran a lot, but then thanks to a fence jumping accident i havent been able to run
my ankle swelled up huge and it still twinges. some kinda ligament injury i think
im hoping that my january i will be able to run again, and also ill have more time coz the exams will be over.

over the summer i intend to so loads of running, up to 45km per week and mix in some weights and bodyweight exercises

i run a sub 50 10k and my next october i want to break 45 mins
i did the great north run this year and got just over 2 hours, i want to do it next year and get 1:45 ish
i would also really like a sub 20 5k but it would be pretty hard to train for all three distances

I usually listen to upbeat rock music when i run, Rammstein and Die Arzte particularly but i found that i get better times on my traning runs if i just run without

Heya, I did sort of them same things a few years ago. I fell down the stairs and fell on my ankle really awkwardly. It swelled up and there was brusing all over my foot. I couldn't run for ages and even walking was bad as I would keep going over on it! What about physiotherapy? Or if you look on the internet there are a lot of exercise aimed to strengthen the ankle/ligaments etc that you could do to help.
xxx
indie_couture
Heya, I did sort of them same things a few years ago. I fell down the stairs and fell on my ankle really awkwardly. It swelled up and there was brusing all over my foot. I couldn't run for ages and even walking was bad as I would keep going over on it! What about physiotherapy? Or if you look on the internet there are a lot of exercise aimed to strengthen the ankle/ligaments etc that you could do to help.
xxx

ive thought about going to a phisio but its really expensive isnt it, and i havent started work yet, so i have no money :frown:

good idea about finding some exercises though. ill have a look now

:smile:

frickin annoying not being able to run though lol
Reply 71
I go through phases. These days I just haven't time for running regularly, but once the hockey season finishes I'll be back to running along the seafront. I've competed in a couple of 5ks, sub-20 minute times, but I can't say I have any motivation to take things any more seriously - especially longer distance! - at the expense of my sport and strength training.
Reply 72
Rainy
I go through phases. These days I just haven't time for running regularly, but once the hockey season finishes I'll be back to running along the seafront. I've competed in a couple of 5ks, sub-20 minute times, but I can't say I have any motivation to take things any more seriously - especially longer distance! - at the expense of my sport and strength training.

I want to be you! Lol need a sub 20 5km... eventually I will manage it!
Reply 73
I run on the roads and also on the beaches round here. Running on a soft sand beach is pretty damn hard.
Reply 74
SebMurphy

It is very possible to train for all 3 distances! Even if you are training for a half marathon all your training will help your 5km time. You still need to do some speed work for a half marathon, and the longer runs will help your endurance during a 5km. All runners do shorter speed work which helps for any distance from 5km to a marathon !
alex0723
It is very possible to train for all 3 distances! Even if you are training for a half marathon all your training will help your 5km time. You still need to do some speed work for a half marathon, and the longer runs will help your endurance during a 5km. All runners do shorter speed work which helps for any distance from 5km to a marathon !

I guess, but im more of a middle distance runner so when i train for a long run, its muchos long runs :frown:
and also, how would i fit a short run into a week where i want to be doing 15km 3 times?

but come the summer we'll see how it goes :biggrin:
Reply 76
Yay did my first offical run today. Did really short intervals (15/30 second kind of things) but the route was 1.3miles reckon I managed 0.75 :biggrin:

Any planning on running any comps?

I've got the millennium relay (10km ish) in December
3 mile fell run New Years day
5k and 10k over Easter weekend
2.5 mile fell run later in April
BUPA Great North Run :biggrin:

Really starting to feel up to it now!
Reply 77
SebMurphy
I guess, but im more of a middle distance runner so when i train for a long run, its muchos long runs :frown:
and also, how would i fit a short run into a week where i want to be doing 15km 3 times?

but come the summer we'll see how it goes :biggrin:

If you are just running 3 runs a week each of 15km that isn't going to get you very far... You would be better off doing one long run of around 15-20 km, then 2 shorter runs of about 8km and then an interval session of about 5km
i went running once :p:
alex0723
If you are just running 3 runs a week each of 15km that isn't going to get you very far... You would be better off doing one long run of around 15-20 km, then 2 shorter runs of about 8km and then an interval session of about 5km

i thought that 3x15 would get me pretty far... say 45km :wink:

also, what do you recomend about weights/general circuits on non run days?

Latest