The Student Room Group
YAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!!!! :woo:

New PB today at parkrun! Still waiting on the official result, but should be somewhere around 27:45, which is >20 seconds faster than my previous PB! Was determined to PB today, and realised it was possible at halfway, and just had to keep pushing!

So happy :biggrin: I also managed to sprint past a friend at the end who is normally way quicker than me (~25 mins for a 5k) but she's not at the peak of her fitness at the moment, so I thought I'd grab the opportunity whilst I could!

Splits were 5:29, 5:38, 5:39, 5:40 and 5:15

Took me 18 months to beat my last PB; this one has taken about 3. Onwards and upwards!
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx

New PB today at parkrun! Still waiting on the official result, but should be somewhere around 27:45, which is >20 seconds faster than my previous PB! Was determined to PB today, and realised it was possible at halfway, and just had to keep pushing!

So happy :biggrin: I also managed to sprint past a friend at the end who is normally way quicker than me (~25 mins for a 5k) but she's not at the peak of her fitness at the moment, so I thought I'd grab the opportunity whilst I could!

Took me 18 months to beat my last PB; this one has taken about 3. Onwards and upwards!

THat's awesome news! :woo:

Good job! Always nice to have the fastest split for the last km!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sir Killalot
All signed up for the Norwich Half Marathon in November!

Awesome, what are you gunning for?

I'm doing the Ealing Half next week :smile:
Original post by bobsta10
Just make sure to stretch well after each run and fuel appropriately and you should be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So... doing half of those Ks before breakfast and never doing any stretching at all isn't what you'd recommend then? :wink:

I've done similar before - my main problems are chaffing just being tired from work etc. Aiming 59K next week - will be a challenge.
Original post by nexttime
So... doing half of those Ks before breakfast and never doing any stretching at all isn't what you'd recommend then? :wink:

I've done similar before - my main problems are chaffing just being tired from work etc. Aiming 59K next week - will be a challenge.

To be honest, I do most of my running before breakfast too so probably not the best preacher on the food front. Definitely stretch though, so important.

During the peak of my marathon training program I was running 98k a week. I have no idea where I found the time to be honest!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, that was a rather poor (and bloody hard) 5k this morning. :frown:

2 weeks until my third and final half of the year.

Anyone whose done a marathon - recommendations for first please? Thinking about Malta and will have a holiday at the same time too.
Original post by rockrunride
Awesome, what are you gunning for?

I'm doing the Ealing Half next week :smile:

Sub 1:20 would be awesome, but 1:25 might be a bit more realistic!

Bit hard to judge really because the longest race I've done before was only 5 miles!

Nice! What are you aiming for?
Original post by Sir Killalot
Sub 1:20 would be awesome, but 1:25 might be a bit more realistic!

Bit hard to judge really because the longest race I've done before was only 5 miles!

Nice! What are you aiming for?

Sweet! Yeah it's a fair bit longer than a 5 miler, you just have to go out steady and be prepared to hurt late on when you're trying to hold the pace. When you get to 10 miles then it starts really killing.

I'm attempting around 74, but Ealing is a tough course so I'll probably be happy with sub 76.
5.5k done in 33 minutes this afternoon, still not as fast as I'd like by a long shot
Took part in the very hilly Ipswich Half Marathon today. Got a time of 1hr 40, about 6 mins faster than last year on the same course. Still miles off a good time but quite enjoyable.
Original post by OU Student
Well, that was a rather poor (and bloody hard) 5k this morning. :frown:

2 weeks until my third and final half of the year.

Anyone whose done a marathon - recommendations for first please? Thinking about Malta and will have a holiday at the same time too.

Manchester was my first, and it was a good one. Mass participation, good support, and the flattest in the UK!

Ran the Worcester 10k yesterday. Didn't quite beat Paula Radcliffe (:tongue:) but did manage my first sub-50 minute 10k ever! Thought I'd blown it when I got to 5k and realised I'd run a 30 second 5k PB :facepalm2:
My running has taken a serious hit recently. Wanting to get in a few good, long runs outside before the winter months creep in and I get more confined to that bloody treadmill. Went for a run today immediately after weight-training in the gym (not my smartest move I know) and only managed 6.6K in 45 minutes. Bloody awful time. Going to try another short run tomorrow, and a long run on Friday. Feeling pretty down as I want to be at my peak in time for my half marathon next May but feel like if anything I'm going backwards. I feel like between my runs, HIIT and circuit training and weight training I am constantly tired and sore and not really giving it my all. Hoping that as my body adjusts to the heavy lifting I might start finding it easier to run again, and I might cut out one HIIT session a week to give my body a bit more time to recover.

Posted from TSR Mobile
After essentially not running for an entire year, I ran a 1hr48m half marathon at the weekend. Pretty chuffed, hoping to get back into it, maybe give triathlon a go too.
Another 5.5 for me tonight, I'm actually enjoying running again, which is always a positive

So, this was me last week.

Today I managed to knock a whole minute off that time, so my new PB is 26:41!!

Loving the gains I'm experiencing at the moment, especially since I felt I could have gone faster than I did today.

Happy :biggrin: :biggrin:

Loving the gains I'm experiencing at the moment, especially since I felt I could have gone faster than I did today.

Well done! :biggrin:

This is huge improvement, you must be delighted!
Original post by pinkpenguin

This is huge improvement, you must be delighted!

I am, I don't know where this sudden improvement has come from, but I'm really not complaining! I've knocked basically a minute and a half off my time in the space of a fortnight!

Long may it continue!
Target for this week was 59k. Actually achieved: 72k, with 3 more k's to come tomorrow.

Target next week: 63k. Don't want to push too hard.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest