The Student Room Group

The Running Thread

Does anybody else here run/jog?

I love to run! Ok, admittedly I havnt run for about a week... BUT usually I run for an hour every day, 4-5 days a week. I just worked out that my run is about 5 miles.

When I started out I (thankfuly) looked things up on the internet and followed advice. Instead of being overly ambitious and trying to run for a full hour without stopping like I imagined myself being able to do, I started out by running for 30 minutes, stopping to walk between running. It wasnt long before I was able to run for 30 minutes without stopping, from then on its just been a matter of increasing the distance by a few minutes every day. At the moment I run for an hour (or just over) and have been for a while.
The way I do it is that I run along a certain path (its the cycle path going into Bristol city centre) and each time I run a little further before turning back. I sprint back to my house when I reach a certain point also.

I love the feeling afterwards, the endorphin rush... and I love the feeling of achievment when I reach milestones. But, im not really sure anymore what to aim for. I never imagined when I began, ACTUALLY reaching my target of running for an hour a day.. so I havnt really thought about where to go from here. I could either keep extending the time/distance I run or perhaps run the same distance but try and run it faster? I dunno, what do other people do?

How far do you run?
How long do you run for?
Where do you run?
What do you listen to?
Why do you do it?
Do you have any aims?

etc.

Scroll to see replies

I think maybe you should try run the distance you do now but faster. I used to constantly increase my mileage when I started running and then I got to the point when I would refuse to even go running if I didn't do a minimum 8 miles in one go as I felt like a failure if I ran any less, which was kind of daft now I think about it. Now I tend to just go 4-5 miles 3 times a week but try to run them faster. I don't think there's been much improvement in my speed to be fair but I like the challenge nontheless and I can still do my 10 mile runs every now and again when I fancy sacraficing my lie-in for a long run by the sea.

I love running though. I wouldn't say I have any aims other than just inreasing my time and perhaps sign up to a few races sometime as I always run faster when I'm racing other people (but not much faster!).
6 Laps of the school field
1 hour after school wednesdays
school
drum and bass
I like running
get fitter
Reply 3
I try to run once a week - somewhere around 1.5 - 2.5 hours.
I enjoy it and try to add in some other activities, eg running to an outdoor gym near my house. I also like to give myself a target - I'm currently trying to work up to running a marathon.
How far do you run? Anything from 5km to 26.2 miles :smile:
How long do you run for? Depends really, most training runs are done at about a 9.30-10.30min/mile pace. Usually run 5 days a week including one long run at the weekends.
Where do you run? Roads, parks and cycle paths in my area
What do you listen to? Rock and metal while training, nothing while racing
Why do you do it? Fitness, weight control, sanity, general feeling of wellbeing
Do you have any aims? Marathon in under 4 hours in October 2010 (I did Dublin in 4:24, I think I can do better - I'm also doing Connemara in April but not aiming for a PB as it's a very hilly course), sub-50 min 10k, sub-1:50 HM, 24.30 5k
Reply 5
Jimmyni
I try to run once a week - somewhere around 1.5 - 2.5 hours.
I enjoy it and try to add in some other activities, eg running to an outdoor gym near my house. I also like to give myself a target - I'm currently trying to work up to running a marathon.

Yeah, I hope to be able to run a marathon at some point... but im not sure what I have to do to reach the point where I can run a marathon. I dont really know how to train to run a marathon. I mean, do you actually have to run for the same distance as a marathon before you actually run one... so that you know you can run that far... or do you just run every day in the hope that youre just fit enough when it comes to it.
cjdodsworth
I mean, do you actually have to run for the same distance as a marathon before you actually run one... so that you know you can run that far... or do you just run every day in the hope that youre just fit enough when it comes to it.

My longest run in training was 20 miles, and my highest mileage week before the marathon was 41 miles. There are plenty of structured training plans out there for it.

To be completely honest, I only started to think I could actually finish it when I went past the mile 21 mark on race day and didn't feel like passing out at the side of the road.
cjdodsworth

How far do you run?
was following a routine, but atm its two 7 mile runs, one 3 mile run and one 4mile run per week.
How long do you run for?
Until the distance is covered
Where do you run?
A roads and country lanes.
What do you listen to?
Nothing
Why do you do it?
Training for half marathon in march
Do you have any aims?
Completeion of half marathon in march

etc.

As above ^^^^

[+I have a blog on here]
Reply 8
I've recently started and generally put them with 'walking the dog' so mustly it's him dragging me along xD

How far do you run?
2.5miles (I run around a mile of it)

How long do you run for?
45 minutes roughly, 1/2 minutes running, 1 minute walking etc.

Where do you run?
Along the same route every day, mostly pavement then around a field.

What do you listen to?
Whatever comes on on my ipod; generally my favourite running songs are 'Fight for the Love' 'Battlefeild' 'Behind Closed Doors', and Basshunter

Why do you do it?
Starting something new; my boyfriend is a middle distance runner which I've always stopped myself trying thinking it would put a strain on the relationship, but now we've been together a year. Also, my doctor just gave me the all clear for my asthma.

Do you have any aims?
5km by January
10km by March
BUPA Great North Run September 2010!

Have you thought about competing? I feel that having that kind of goal definately motivates me :biggrin:
I don't but i used to be pretty awesome at running. So i'm going to gloat anyway from a previous life :wink:.

How far did you run?

100 metre shuttles --> 18 miles

How long did you run for?
As long as it takes to complete the distance

Where did you run?
Had many routes, a decent 4 mile 24 minute circuit around my local "common" which combined two pretty decent gradient hills (down one round the park up the other), other than that i used to drive out and measure a distance to a point in the country side behind my house and run there and back.

What did you listen to?
My feet plodding on the floor.

Why did you do it?

Good at it, relaxing, enjoyed the freedom.

Did you have any aims?
Half marathon in sub 1:25, completed 1:21 at great north run.
Wanted to do a marathon but couldn't get into the london one after applying for 3 years.
How far do you run?
depends I try and do at least a couple of miles. I need to run further or faster.

How long do you run for?
I try and do at least 30mins but also do run for 1 hour sometimes.

Where do you run?
By the riverside where I live in the day and just main roads if I go in the evening or its dark.

What do you listen to?
well I like to listen to some upbeat motivating music but I seem to have lost my ipod :frown:

Why do you do it?
I enjoy it and feel so good after especially if I have run further or faster than usual. I also want to keep and improve my speed and times etc and my level of fitness.

Do you have any aims?
Enter more races etc. The X coutry season has started and I would love to compete more but I stopped going to where I trained as it was so far but I might try and get back in to it. I want to do a 10k sometime too.
Reply 11
How far do you run?

3 miles

How long do you run for?

About 1/2 an hour

Where do you run?

Common, canal, pavements - w/e really.

What do you listen to?

My feet plodding along the ground, or some rap.

Why do you do it?

Time to tink, calms me down, keeps me fit.

Do you have any aims?

Run a half marathon by next summer, maybe marathon year after. And a fast 100m sprint.
Reply 12
How far do you run?
3-6 miles 3/4 times a week. One longer run about 8 miles once a week

How long do you run for?
However long it takes. Dont like to look at the time, it causes extra stress and takes the fun out.

Where do you run?
Just roads around the area.

What do you listen to?
Pretty much anything as long as its not slow and i play it loud so i cant hear my breathing

Why do you do it?
Just for bragging rights really. Sometimes I enjoy it...

Do you have any aims?
Half marathon in march next year. Hoping to finish
Reply 13
fly999
How far do you run?
3-6 miles 3/4 times a week. One longer run about 8 miles once a week

How long do you run for?
However long it takes. Dont like to look at the time, it causes extra stress and takes the fun out.

Where do you run?
Just roads around the area.

What do you listen to?
Pretty much anything as long as its not slow and i play it loud so i cant hear my breathing

Why do you do it?
Just for bragging rights really. Sometimes I enjoy it...

Do you have any aims?
Half marathon in march next year. Hoping to finish

This post is taken from my mouth. Seriously, im the same. Except for the fact that I do watch the time. In fact I have seen no other way to do it so far. I mean, I ran for 30 minutes... I increased the time. I havnt based it on distance, I was advised not to. I dunno, how do you measure the distance? I shodilly worked out my distance of 5 miles with google map and a little ripped piece of paper. **** knows. If I ran on main roads I could work it out on google map by using the directions bit. But I run on the cycle path.

Not running so much because of the cold and laziness, but I am keeping it at a 3 times a week minimum. 5 would be my ideal and I would like to do what you do and run 8 miles once a week. But the further I run into Bristol city centre.. the more I fear for having my iPod mugged off me. I grew up in a place not far from where my run will soon be! I know what its like round there. I think I have reason to be worried about running with my iPod in my hand through that place. I dunno though. I wanna do it, run to the city centre and back... thats like 10 miles.
cjdodsworth
But the further I run into Bristol city centre.. the more I fear for having my iPod mugged off me. I grew up in a place not far from where my run will soon be! I know what its like round there. I think I have reason to be worried about running with my iPod in my hand through that place. I dunno though. I wanna do it, run to the city centre and back... thats like 10 miles.

Get an armband for your iPod, get a shuffle and clip it to your shorts, or run on a shorter loop near where you live... Also, I've found the more I run the less I actually care about what I'm listening too. I couldn't tell you what I listened to on my 8-miler this evening.

Also... http://www.mapmyrun.com is *incredibly* useful.
How far do you run?
Depends on how far I can be bothered with, sometimes just a 5K, sometimes half-marathon distance or further

How long do you run for?
If I'm just out for a gentle run without pushing myself I aim for 5 minutes per kilometre. If I'm trying to go at race pace it's between 4:15-4:30 minutes per kilometre

Where do you run?
Round about Falkirk or Stirling, depending on whether I'm at home or at Uni

What do you listen to?
Sometimes I'll make myself a playlist, usually stuff a bit rocky that's fast-paced. Sometimes it's a Podcast

Why do you do it?
To feel good about myself, for fitness and because it's great to get some time to myself

Do you have any aims?
Over the next year - half-marathon sub-1:40, 10K sub-40, 5k sub-19. Beyond - run first competitive marathon, half-marathon sub-1:30, 10k sub-35, 5k sub-17
Reply 16
cjdodsworth
This post is taken from my mouth. Seriously, im the same. Except for the fact that I do watch the time. In fact I have seen no other way to do it so far. I mean, I ran for 30 minutes... I increased the time. I havnt based it on distance, I was advised not to. I dunno, how do you measure the distance? I shodilly worked out my distance of 5 miles with google map and a little ripped piece of paper. **** knows. If I ran on main roads I could work it out on google map by using the directions bit. But I run on the cycle path.

Not running so much because of the cold and laziness, but I am keeping it at a 3 times a week minimum. 5 would be my ideal and I would like to do what you do and run 8 miles once a week. But the further I run into Bristol city centre.. the more I fear for having my iPod mugged off me. I grew up in a place not far from where my run will soon be! I know what its like round there. I think I have reason to be worried about running with my iPod in my hand through that place. I dunno though. I wanna do it, run to the city centre and back... thats like 10 miles.

Wooo! High five to that!:five:
Yeh I downloaded google earth and then if you go on tools - ruler - path you can measure out your own run. As for the longer run maybe you could just repeat a shorter circuit closer to your house? Would probably get boring though...

And yeh Apocalypte I know what you mean. On longer runs I completely zone out so I forget how tired I am. Then when I zone in again I realise my favourite song has just been playing and I missed it :frown:
Reply 17
hey guys I'm just getting into running but I love it. Total beginner apart from when I used to have to do fitness at school. I'm using the "couch to 5k" podcast, it's great, works you up week by week gradually so that you don't get disheartened. Basically improves on your recovery time by telling you when to run and when to walk, increasing the running time with each week. I find having someone telling me what to do really helpful and motivating so I'd def recommend it to other amateurs! You can get it for free on itunes
Reply 18
I wish I could run outside, but I have to be careful because I have a knee issue. So, I joined the gym here at RHUL and run daily for about 50 minutes. Of course, I can't do it straight but I do try and focus on a routine: 20 minutes, break; 20 minutes, break; and 10 minutes. I run at 6.5 MPH.
Reply 19
fly999
Wooo! High five to that!:five:
Yeh I downloaded google earth and then if you go on tools - ruler - path you can measure out your own run. As for the longer run maybe you could just repeat a shorter circuit closer to your house? Would probably get boring though...

And yeh Apocalypte I know what you mean. On longer runs I completely zone out so I forget how tired I am. Then when I zone in again I realise my favourite song has just been playing and I missed it :frown:

You might be interested in www.walkjogrun.net lets you create and save running routes.

I love that feeling. I find it hard to run (or at least run fast) when I have stuff on my mind: it sort of prevents the out-zoning somehow.

Anyway...

I stopped going to (ok, stopped being able to afford) the gym so I started running. I don't really miss the machines tbh :biggrin:

I measured my normal route at 13.5km around central London (I almost had the honour of being run over by S'rAlan Sugar's limo the other day [AMS 1] on the mall).

Usually takes about 1:20. Every 3 days.

I do it because I enjoy it and for 'weight control' because I used to be fat. I have no goals, aims or anything.

My advice to anyone starting running: If you're used to gym machine prepare to be embarrassed at how bad you are running outdoors for the first time. It takes a bit of adjustment, but soon it'll feel as easy at the treadmill (or whatever machine).

Don't set yourself targets, just enjoy it and gradually increase the time you do. If you're too competitive about it you'll just get sick of it eventually. I plan to exercise at least a couple of times a week until I'm dead; I couldn't do that if I cared about shaving 20secs of my PB. :rolleyes:

Latest