The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
the harry p
What topics is it on? Is it just external influences and the other one or is it the whole two years work?

PS Who thought Unit 4 was the worst Business Studies paper EVER? :frown:

i for once liked bus4, i think it was a good paper to have, after all you could make most of it up... except i wish it had critical path analysis

bus6 has interated people operations and marketing
Reply 81
unit 4 was good...i like it as well...think i did decently...
unit 5 was the worst paper eva...jeez old age housing seriously!......had a **** paper
unit 6 is synoptic in approach...doesnt mean u need to know unit 1-6 but it means u should know the broad concepts and should be able to integrate the different areas of the business and all that influences the corporate strategy of a business
AQA BUS6 is mostly external influences and objectives and strategy, and is also a synoptic paper, meaning that you have to link ideas and be prepared for questions on ANYTHING. If in doubt check some past papers and check the specification!!!
thanks
Reply 84
Oh dear, well i havent started revising for the business had too many other exams that were more important! So i really cant be bothered either!
Anybody got any pointers on perhaps any key things which are important to know? Hoping to blag it tho - thats the good thing about business exams!
Reply 85
bugga ive hardly revised at all, i heard to learn ansoffs matrix and sientific decsions making, look out for market research and objectives. Anyone know any other key things we have to know having not really revised at all?
I haven't revised anything.. :/ Bit scared.
Reply 87
Whats all this about marketing I'm doing AQA so I though unit 6 was "External Influences and Objectives" it is titled this as well!

Synoptic - are you sure?

Help!
AQA - ive got this sheet about decision trees, and for evaluation, it says:

"evaluating the overall effectiveness of using decision trees in a new market"

I was jus wondering, wat does this mean? cuz i really dont get wat its tryin to tell me. thanx :cool:
Reply 89
angel (a guy)
AQA - ive got this sheet about decision trees, and for evaluation, it says:

"evaluating the overall effectiveness of using decision trees in a new market"

I was jus wondering, wat does this mean? cuz i really dont get wat its tryin to tell me. thanx :cool:

Here's what I think... seeing as it's a new market, there is less data about it i.e. past sales etc... therefore it's harder to estimate realistic probabilities to calculate the expected value of a decision. So it might not be wise to base a decision entirely on the decision tree. (Something like that).

That's what I think. Don't know if I'm right.
It's asking you to argue the pro's and con's to using a decision tree in a new market, mainly describing how it would work to their advantage. If you already know the up n downsides to them, it'll be easy! Just as someone said above, you'd have to mention that there won't be as much data avaliable through researching the market if it is new. http://www.s-cool.co.uk/topic_quicklearn.asp?loc=ql&topic_id=6&quicklearn_id=2&subject_id=8&ebt=97&ebn=&ebs=&ebl=&elc=13 might be a useful page to look at x
o ryt, thanx guys. that seems wel straightforward now come to think of it.

jus another Q,

"assessing the important issues that should be taken into account when using decision trees to assist in decision-making"

i think i get this, but i jus need clarification, thanx :cool:
Reply 92
P1nkPrincess
It's asking you to argue the pro's and con's to using a decision tree in a new market, mainly describing how it would work to their advantage. If you already know the up n downsides to them, it'll be easy! Just as someone said above, you'd have to mention that there won't be as much data avaliable through researching the market if it is new. http://www.s-cool.co.uk/topic_quicklearn.asp?loc=ql&topic_id=6&quicklearn_id=2&subject_id=8&ebt=97&ebn=&ebs=&ebl=&elc=13 might be a useful page to look at x

That's a useful link! :top:

Has everyone revising for business? I'm just making notes on the chapters in the text book. Should be looking at and doing past papers but I don't have time to answer any of them! Any other suggestions? So tired after revising and sitting two exams today. Gonna have to try and cram loads of stuff tomorrow morning before the exam now! :frown: :s
Issues to consider:

*How accurate are the probabilities that the event occurs? Sometimes its hard to calculate probabilities, and innacurate probabilities can lead to innaccurate decision making
*Would it be better to use Decision trees that use quantitative data or should qualitative data be considered too?
*Is the situation a new/one off situation? If so decision tree is unlikely to be helpful for decision making
*How much background data is being used? The more background data, the better
*Should marketplace/business environment be considered to? (in most cases yes)

Hope that helps.
Reply 94
angel (a guy)
o ryt, thanx guys. that seems wel straightforward now come to think of it.

jus another Q,

"assessing the important issues that should be taken into account when using decision trees to assist in decision-making"

i think i get this, but i jus need clarification, thanx :cool:

Think you will talk about the reliability of the data, where it came from/ who came up with the probabilities/figures (someone who's biased/ making the probabilities so that one project is particularly attractive/ yield the most return), is the market fast changing? - if so then using a decision tree might not be such a good idea as it is static/ might be out of date as it is based on past data.
bbcer

Has everyone revising for business? I'm just making notes on the chapters in the text book. Should be looking at and doing past papers but I don't have time to answer any of them! Any other suggestions? So tired after revising and sitting two exams today. Gonna have to try and cram loads of stuff tomorrow morning before the exam now! :frown: :s

Yeh thats pretty much what I've done, just made notes from the yellow and blue textbook. A piece of advice for me is to use your specification and read it along with the textbook. The textbook jumbles a lot of information together, and you might be wasting your time learning stuff you don't need. Don't worry too much about answering past exam papers, but write down how you would structure your answers to help your essay writing.
Reply 96
Just about to start revision now, obviously it's too late to go over everything but what would people recommed are the key areas to go over?
bbcer

u shud be happy, ive had exams aswell, and now ive gotta cram in everything tonite cuz ive got stupid general studies int he morning FOR 3 HOURS! before i hav an hours break to lern more for business and then take the exam. only positive is that friday is my last exam so not long to go now... :cool:
Reply 98
i may sound really dumb here but is unit 6 synoptic or on anything in particular? cos i kinda not been 100% paying attention in lessons
Reply 99
2tal
i may sound really dumb here but is unit 6 synoptic or on anything in particular? cos i kinda not been 100% paying attention in lessons

It's synoptic but there are certain topics that are new, e.g. decision trees.

Latest

Trending

Trending