The Student Room Group
Reply 1
cc
Reply 2
Finance = fair amount of maths. There isn't much any programme can do about it... and if you are not good at math it's unlikely that you'll get a financial job (and you'll hate it if you do).
Having disclosed that, Msc Investment Analysis - Stirling is probably your best bet.
Reply 3
cc
Zongadin
thing is, I want to move into equity research for my area of study and work (life sciences industry). So I want to be able to perform valuation on those kind of companies. Of course I have a reasonable amount of quantitative abilities. But I don't want to waste my time doing ivory-tower academics which I'm afraid is totally not required to actually perform routine investment analysis (I guess comparable to CFA requirements). It's not that I wouldn't be able to pass those courses, it's just that I know it would be bad for my health :-).

So basically I'm looking for a compromise between 2 things

- a Msc. programme which is not out of proportion considering that I actually want to learn something and not get bogged down on phd-level maths which seems to inevitably go hand in hand the more "pregistious" the programme is
- a Msc. programme which nevertheless has at least some kind of legitimacy (e.g. can get you an interview for a good international position)

Sorry to spoilt it for you, but the chances that one of the above programmes will land you an interview in equity research tend to absolute 0. It is extremely competitive to get a Research position in an IB; there are less applicants than to the investment banking division, but there are far less vacancies too. 60% of these will be filled by oxbridge, LSE, imperial and warwick and the other 50% will come from the very best of Europe: Esade, Bocconi, Hec, St.Gallen, Stockholm, Rotterdam or Copenhagen. Actual investment houses like Fidelity of Blackrock only need 4 or 5 guys that they can get from Oxbridge.

Your only chance would be MSc.'s Edinburgh, not because of the programme's reputation, but because of the big amount of relatively small funds in Scotland's capital that recruit from there for conveniency.

For junior analysts, banks couldn't care less if they come from life sciences or history of art. They will be doing dirty work anyway, so they just want them smart. If they want someone who knows a lot about pharmas or biotech they can hire a bright PhD anytime, or better yet, someone with work experience in the area. And this is another way to get in... working in the industry for a while, doing the CFA, and moving sideways. Even if you don't manage to move sideways directly you can always do so after MBA.

So I suggest you rethink your strategy... and wish you all luck.:smile:
Reply 5
cc
MSc --> Analyst in big company
Given your CV I can't see you as an analyst, nor will the company or your 21 year old colleagues.

MBA--> Associate at a big company
I could see you here... plus MBAs don't have a highly mathematical component. You would probably need at least CFA1 too just to show you can cut it though. Problem is, you would need to get into at least a world TOP20 MBA... don't know if you have the money or the GMAT ability.

For a small company with non-structured recruitment anything does... it's up to who you are and how you can convince them that you are the right guy for the job. Heavy networking is hence involved.

All in all, if I were you I would start with CFA no matter what... it's cheap, you may like it and it can only help. In terms of job search, first thing I would check with all your current contacts and see if there is any way you can move to a more financial position within the industry. If this doesn't work I would risk it and go MBA... The master won't help more than the CFA at this stage, but if you genuinely like to study finance and have the money to spare, I must admit that university life is quite appealing. Exception made from post-experience masters in finance (think LBS but do check FTs master in finance listing), which can help indeed because they involve a lot of networking with people with contacts -unlike normal MSC which involve networking with 21 year-olds who have, at most, done a 3 month internship.
Good luck in any case, you seem to be realistic and you seem to know what you want, so I'm sure you'll get there sooner or later.
Reply 7
ReverseConvertible
It is extremely competitive to get a Research position in an IB; there are less applicants than to the investment banking division, but there are far less vacancies too. 60% of these will be filled by oxbridge, LSE, imperial and warwick and the other 50% will come from the very best of Europe: Esade, Bocconi, Hec, St.Gallen, Stockholm, Rotterdam or Copenhagen.

As ever in finance, everything adds up to 110%.
Reply 8
cc
Reply 9
ReverseConvertible
Sorry to spoilt it for you, but the chances that one of the above programmes will land you an interview in equity research tend to absolute 0. It is extremely competitive to get a Research position in an IB; there are less applicants than to the investment banking division, but there are far less vacancies too. 60% of these will be filled by oxbridge, LSE, imperial and warwick and the other 50% will come from the very best of Europe: Esade, Bocconi, Hec, St.Gallen, Stockholm, Rotterdam or Copenhagen. Actual investment houses like Fidelity of Blackrock only need 4 or 5 guys that they can get from Oxbridge.

Your only chance would be MSc.'s Edinburgh, not because of the programme's reputation, but because of the big amount of relatively small funds in Scotland's capital that recruit from there for conveniency.

For junior analysts, banks couldn't care less if they come from life sciences or history of art. They will be doing dirty work anyway, so they just want them smart. If they want someone who knows a lot about pharmas or biotech they can hire a bright PhD anytime, or better yet, someone with work experience in the area. And this is another way to get in... working in the industry for a while, doing the CFA, and moving sideways. Even if you don't manage to move sideways directly you can always do so after MBA.

agreed for the most part, exceot that degree subject is very important for analysts at banks
Zongadin
you seem to be very knowledgeable, and I appreciate the "naked truth" career advice. But you got me seriously doubting now. Indeed an MBA is an option (I have a GMAT 710). The full story is that I applied for this position last year, and I was invited for an interview. They were very positive about my profile but they said it lacked a legitimate credential in finance. At the time Lehman brothers had just fallen and they said everything was so precarious that they could only hire someone who could hit the ground running. The senior analyst (who is a life science Phd btw) told me to sit out the crisis and do a in part-time Msc. Finance instead, while continuing my job. He said it would give me more options than just a CFA, e.g. eligibility for a position in corporate licensing with a big pharma company (the CFA which, according to him, I could always do afterwards). I then took the GMAT and was admitted to this programme. But, given my background I first had to do the preparatory programme, which I am now studying for while working full-time. All this, however, seems to be getting me further from my goal because I have less and less motivation for my current job and the study is mathematically very intensive (way beyond CFA) with ridiculously advanced econometrics, at least for me. So right now I'm in "must escape" mode. Of course I checked with all my contacts and applied for the very few interesting vacancies over the last year but no success.

Now I'm just longing to quit all this nonsense, just do a full-time degree. I have no problem with burying my ER aspirations. But if you say that a finance related MSc. at this point in my career is going to get me into trouble (and by this I mean that I wouldn't even be able to come back to the pharma of biotech industry) then I will seriously consider applying for an MBA. But, also I'd like to add that this senior analyst told me that all this top school and networking stuff was not all that important in my case. He told me to focus on building experience and skills, and I would have an attractive profile with a lifescience-investment MSc - combo. Personally, I also can't believe this combination being utterly worthless. I figure there's bound to be some interesting position I can get into? That's why I'm a bit reluctant to forking out 25k for a top business school. Especially when an MBA curriculum contains alot of stuff I'm not interested in (people management,...). That said you're not the only one that has recommend an MBA to me...

you got me doubting thats for sure :wink: which is probably a good thing :smile:

any suggestions at this point are very welcome

The guy that gave you the MSc advice is where you want to be and with a similar starting path, so guess who you should be listening to! However please note that he said part-time MFin... which is a good way of hedging your risk. If you go all in you always have a chance of becoming unemployed for a while after finishing. By doing it part time, at the very worst, you just remain where you are but with more financial knowledge.

By the way, both MSc, MBA or CFA are gonna have stuff you dislike... so will your "dream job". Life isn't all pink.

There isn't just one way to do things, especially when we are not talking about good old structured-recruitment companies. Similarly, nobody is gonna be able to provide you with a final answer, since there isn't.
Reply 11
niffirgkc
agreed for the most part, exceot that degree subject is very important for analysts at banks

In which way is degree important for equity research?
Reply 12
ReverseConvertible

My friend many students from these universities (especially Durham and Edinburgh) actually end up in the big UK fund houses where you also can find many graduates from the above mentioned MSc from stirling.
Reply 13
cc

Latest

Trending

Trending