The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thank you for your honest and kind feedback.

It is a list but from the other things in the book - I think this is the list that he has tried. We found some of the list in his room back in April when we first discovered that he was trying drugs...then we were fooled into thinking that he was no longer taking. The week after uni we accidentally found MEO-DIPT, Xanax and an unknown red-pill that he had left hidden in his computer at home.

Given the length of the list...its not suprising that he is more like a walking zombie now than the lively, happy, chirpy person that he used to be.

I guess that as horrible as all this is from a parent's viewpoint...the hardest thing is the uncertainty...I hate that we can no longer believe what he says or trust him. He knows that we do not approve of drugs and have said that whilst we cannot control him, we do not want him to smoke indoors or take drugs in the house...but as we now know he keeps breaking both these rules.

So far there have been no consequences for him except our hurt feelings...and as he is 18...its hard to see what we can do when he comes home and continues to break these rules which I do not think are unreasonable.

crazyspacemonkey
I'm not saying you haven't, I'm just offering some advice from my point of view. I think you are perfectly justified as a parent to worry, especially if he has taken all those on the list - is it just a list, or an actual descriptive entry of each drug trip? If he hasn't read it already, or if you haven't, I'd recommend reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson. It does glamorise drugs a little, but also describes their ugly side.

The majority of drug users don't fund their drug use by selling, honestly. He might be racking up some debt from a 'friendly' dealer though if he doesn't have any money.
Reply 21
Yeah, all those drugs doesn't sound like experimenting lightly at all. Doing a bit of weed from time to time is 'experimenting lightly' - taking drugs on a list as long as your arm is drug abuse and is not safe at all. It depends what stuff the police found in his room, if they just found a bit of weed or whatever, then maybe those were just one off experiments, but if they found a load of stuff (like on that list) then he definitely needs some kind of serious help IMO.

I don't do (nor have ever done) drugs though, so I can't answer your initial question.
Reply 22
That is my view too as a parent though I now realise that as much as we want to help him...until he is ready for that help and realises that he has a problem...there is nothing we can do except either watch the self-destruction that he is dicing with or try to turn a blind eye. I am struggling with doing neither very well.

In fact, I have become addicted to worrying and analysing all this ...I am usually one of those people who never takes no for an answer and when I come across a problem...I usually like to solve it no matter now difficult it is. Whilst that has worked for me for 47 years on logical and scientific problems...on this I have to admit total failure. Everyone tells me to leave all this worry alone and get on with my life but I can't help having one more go to find some solutions...which is partly why I am turning to the bright young minds on TSR for help as well as TSR being his direct peer group.

Tefhel
Yeah, all those drugs doesn't sound like experimenting lightly at all. Doing a bit of weed from time to time is 'experimenting lightly' - taking drugs on a list as long as your arm is drug abuse and is not safe at all. It depends what stuff the police found in his room, if they just found a bit of weed or whatever, then maybe those were just one off experiments, but if they found a load of stuff (like on that list) then he definitely needs some kind of serious help IMO.

I don't do (nor have ever done) drugs though, so I can't answer your initial question.
plutovian
He knows that we do not approve of drugs and have said that whilst we cannot control him, we do not want him to smoke indoors or take drugs in the house...but as we now know he keeps breaking both these rules.

So far there have been no consequences for him except our hurt feelings...and as he is 18...its hard to see what we can do when he comes home and continues to break these rules which I do not think are unreasonable.

The simplistic (and from parental perspective probably incredibly difficult) thing to do would be to tell him that if he breaks the rules he's not welcome in your house.
plutovian
He is now an emotionless zombie

You said you thought you had you caring loving son back for 6 months or something, but maybe he had been doing drugs for those 6 months and just was a happier, more upbeat person because he had better rapport with you. Now that you're obviously treating him differently because of this - probably nagging him etc. he maybe just doesn't want to speak to you because the whole atmosphere has changed?
Raped by a 53 year old man.
Reply 26
I can't deny that he can see that we are more worried but he has been at uni the whole time since we re-discovered that he was on drugs...and he does not seem "happy" when we have seen him but just stoned/emotionless...we have not nagged him but have expressed our concern for his welfare...even at the police station all we said to him was that we love him and want to help him. You are right though...right now we are very much parents and on the outside of his life...when all he wants is to be at uni and do what he is doing.

near_comatose
You said you thought you had you caring loving son back for 6 months or something, but maybe he had been doing drugs for those 6 months and just was a happier, more upbeat person because he had better rapport with you. Now that you're obviously treating him differently because of this - probably nagging him etc. he maybe just doesn't want to speak to you because the whole atmosphere has changed?
plutovian
I can't deny that he can see that we are more worried but he has been at uni the whole time since we re-discovered that he was on drugs...and he does not seem "happy" when we have seen him but just stoned/emotionless...we have not nagged him but have expressed our concern for his welfare...even at the police station all we said to him was that we love him and want to help him. You are right though...right now we are very much parents and on the outside of his life...when all he wants is to be at uni and do what he is doing.

Yeah but sometimes parents can say that in such a way (and so often) that it gets kind of oppressive, for lack of a better word. You shouldn't 'force' this help onto him. Make sure he knows that he can turn to you when he does need help, and once you're sure he knows, go back to treating him in the same way that you did when you thought he wasn't doing drugs. It might make him feel it's easier to speak with you without thinking that all you're thinking about is drugs, and maybe give him some room to breathe. He might even cut down on drugs because of the support/harmony at home and less need to find harmony and peace through drugs. Of course he might also, you know, not. But I assume you've been trying your method for a long time, and it can't hurt to try what I've suggested
Reply 28
Thank you - what you say makes sense though it is incredibly
hard to do...but will try though I fear that I have blown it already.

I already started sending him non-drug related chatty emails recently but then I blew it this week when I got angry when he had agreed to go to an acupuncture appointment and just did not turn up...leaving us to pay the bill...I let him know how inconsiderate that was. Of course he has not emailed back since. Now I am tired of always trying to contact him so do not plan to contact him until I hear back from him to give him room to miss us.

near_comatose
Yeah but sometimes parents can say that in such a way (and so often) that it gets kind of oppressive, for lack of a better word. You shouldn't 'force' this help onto him. Make sure he knows that he can turn to you when he does need help, and once you're sure he knows, go back to treating him in the same way that you did when you thought he wasn't doing drugs. It might make him feel it's easier to speak with you without thinking that all you're thinking about is drugs, and maybe give him some room to breathe. He might even cut down on drugs because of the support/harmony at home and less need to find harmony and peace through drugs. Of course he might also, you know, not. But I assume you've been trying your method for a long time, and it can't hurt to try what I've suggested
Reply 29
That would be akin to trying to cut off a live arm even if it has got gangrene though I do not doubt the logic and inherent sense in what you are suggesting.

The Referee
The simplistic (and from parental perspective probably incredibly difficult) thing to do would be to tell him that if he breaks the rules he's not welcome in your house.
Ilora-Danon
The phrasing of the OP was what I was referring to. Of course cannabis is illegal, but it's a socially accepted substance these days. The other, yet to be established, illegal drugs, I would be worried about.
Does that make it more clear?

Crystal. :smile:
Government funds my 'habit' - EMA ftw.

"Yes boss, spending £30 a week on penz and stuff boss"
Reply 32
******* unbelievable. People are acting as if weed is like orange juice, completely harmless and non-addictive.

All potheads take years to stop smoking the ****, as I've lost many friends because of it in the past. None of this 'I'm a good, hardworking, intelligent student, AND I smoke weed'. Truth is, you're displaying idiocy that is so often benchmarked and attributed to students.

The other drugs are just the fart on top of the already steaming load of crap. If you feel you must; alcohol and fags- keep it simple folks.
iamkund
******* unbelievable. People are acting as if weed is like orange juice, completely harmless and non-addictive.

All potheads take years to stop smoking the ****, as I've lost many friends because of it in the past. None of this 'I'm a good, hardworking, intelligent student, AND I smoke weed'. Truth is, you're displaying idiocy that is so often benchmarked and attributed to students.

The other drugs are just the fart on top of the already steaming load of crap. If you feel you must; alcohol and fags- keep it simple folks.

******** unbelievable. Have you read anything in the news over the last week? Cannabis is non-addictive physically, you can only get addicited to it mentally, which is the same with any substance on the Earth, chocolate, apples or cannabis.

I would say I am hard working and intelligent, and my grades would agree with that, and I smoke cannabis a few times a week.

As for the last 'keep it simple' comment, please for the love of God go and read a newspaper!! The governments chief advisor on drugs was sacked this week for saying a scientific truth that cannabis is less harmful that alcohol and tobacco, and there was a huge uproar because he was sacked for telling the truth.

Sorry this was off-topic, but I felt I needed to set him right.
Reply 34
iamkund

Slightly Ironic that you have an avatar of Johnny Depp playing Hunter S. Thompson from Fear and loathing isn't it?
plutovian
That would be akin to trying to cut off a live arm even if it has got gangrene though I do not doubt the logic and inherent sense in what you are suggesting.

If this has been going on for a long time and you keep being kind and supportive of him then he's going to end up thinking he can get away with everything. Maybe he needs a good dose of reality - you say that he either gets his act sorted or he's not welcome in your house. He's legally an adult now and has to deal with the consequences of his actions, and although as a parent it might be hard for you some harsh ramifications for his drug abuse might be what he needs to realise this isn't the right path.
Yes he's your son, but you should have to get entangled in the mess that he has created himself. If he wants to quit then you offer your support, but if he doesn't want to then no matter how hard you try nothing will come of your efforts - it has to come from him.

However I must admit having said all that I have no experience with drugs, though a couple of members of my family have had alcohol addiction problems. Both of those people had to decide for themselves that it was time to change, and I think that's the only way that addicted people can ever improve. Pressure from other people wont make any difference if they don't want to quit.
Reply 36
Cooljack
Slightly Ironic that you have an avatar of Johnny Depp playing Hunter S. Thompson from Fear and loathing isn't it?

Didn't know who/what it was, but thanks for clearing that up, Dick.
Reply 37
lordbonney
******** unbelievable. Have you read anything in the news over the last week? Cannabis is non-addictive physically, you can only get addicited to it mentally, which is the same with any substance on the Earth, chocolate, apples or cannabis.

I would say I am hard working and intelligent, and my grades would agree with that, and I smoke cannabis a few times a week.

As for the last 'keep it simple' comment, please for the love of God go and read a newspaper!! The governments chief advisor on drugs was sacked this week for saying a scientific truth that cannabis is less harmful that alcohol and tobacco, and there was a huge uproar because he was sacked for telling the truth.

Sorry this was off-topic, but I felt I needed to set him right.

Cue the flooding off weeders defending their pitiful grass...

So cannabis is only afflicting people mentally? Nevermind, let's get on with our daily business and continue to inhale **** for the rest of our lives. Chocolate, apples and other crap doesn't turn people into mindless flids, regardless these items not being on trial at all is another thing... 'Jack, you've been taking apples for three years now? How could you!?'

If I had a damn dollar for everytime this forsaken grass was mentioned in the news (and I imagine you're referring to The Sun here, if you could call that news), then I'd have Alan Sugar cleaning the duck butter from my sweaty neighbour every night.

Go smoke your cannabis, and see if your opinion remains unchanged in ten years, that is if you still have the mental capacity to form one.
Reply 38
plutovian
He had not been doing well and was not even going to lectures 4 weeks in...but I now realise that if he wants to not get a degree that's his choice

The main worry is what is he doing to fund himself as he has no job and refuses to work...I hate the thought of him dealing and bringing all that in the house when he comes home.

The past few weeks have made me realise that he has to learn from his own behaviour and consequences...however much hurt I may want to spare him but the fear re. funding reamins...as he has no job and no student loan yet...what is he doing re. funding...what will he do when he gets home? Will he start stealing...? I have 2 friends who have offered him jobs over the Xmas holidays (even though they know he does drugs) as a favour to me but he is not interested

When he gets home: does he go outside to cars for short periods of time often during the day? Does he 'pop to the shops' far too much and seem to return with nothing? People you haven't seen before suddenly around? Going through lots of clingfilm all of a sudden? These are the signs you need to watch for if you're worried about him selling out of your house.

Tbh, I doubt he is dealing. Most people fund themselves through work. And shock horror, when they run out of money they go without until the next pay check (just like those that drink).
Reply 39
iamkund
Didn't know who/what it was, but thanks for clearing that up, Dick.

It's not my fault you look a moron for whinging about drugs while having the picture of a notorious advocator of drugs for your avatar now is it? you really are being a bit of a bell end you know.

Latest

Trending

Trending