The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Anything you want.
Reply 2
Depends what you describe as a 'crap' job. It is possible to have a job you enjoy without going to university, although I don't think your A-Levels would count for all that much in the world of work.
Reply 3
Two of my sisters finished studying after A Levels and they both have really good jobs. One is... not sure what she is but she hangs around with Lords and stuff. Think she manages stuff. My other sister is in sales.

Get your A Levels, choose a career, and work hard til you get to the top. But you're going to have to start low, don't be naive.
Reply 4
Samw1se
Depends what you describe as a 'crap' job. It is possible to have a job you enjoy without going to university, although I don't think your A-Levels would count for all that much in the world of work.

Well, I don't want to be a subservient of some ignorant bell end (like I am now) and/or a job where I'm not appreciated at all.
Reply 5
Nathan-Jones
Well, I don't want to be a subservient of some ignorant bell end (like I am now) and/or a job where I'm not appreciated at all.

I am in the former of those two categories - gives me motivation to better myself and not have to work for pricks like him for the rest of my life.
Reply 6
cpj1987
Anything you want.

Romantic notion; but no: I have very few options :s-smilie:

I hate how narrowed things are: go to university or get a minimum wage job.
Reply 7
Nathan-Jones
Romantic notion; but no: I have very few options :s-smilie:

I hate how narrowed things are: go to university or get a minimum wage job.

That's you narrowing things down. There are plenty of jobs you can get without a degree, and with or without other qualifications. Or, you can start your own business.
Reply 8
Similar to Nambi, a few of my family members left education after A-Levels and have good (£50k+) jobs. However, whether A-Levels are as respected nowadays (with such a high level of graduates in the population) I am doubtful of.
Reply 9
You can also take into account that, if you enter the job market now, you can gain experience in a field of work rather than studying for a degree - and you won't have a ~£25k debt starting off working. On the other hand, many studies suggest a degree does boost career earnings on average - a statistic that I'm somewhat sceptical of (obviously the more intelligent people will tend to go to university, and the more intelligent people will tend to make better career decisions, more likely to be promoted, etc.).
Of course I am making a lot of assumptions.

Latest

Trending

Trending