The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
kellywood_5
I get more worried about what my teachers and friends will say than my family. It's like I'm not allowed to be worried; all my friends can sit there and stress, but if I say I'm nervous or whatever, I just get told 'oh shut up, you're going to get an A anyway' :rolleyes: :frown:

Hmm I swear I've written those exact words on TSR before :cool:

Yep as Mousy said, level 6 at KS2 is totally different to level 6 at KS3.

I'm not all that worried really, because I know I'm retaking and my teachers have always said these exams are just practise for january! I promised my parents if I got an A in German AS I'd carry it on- don't think I really need to worry about that, though I think I'll carry it on anyway. My parents will probably be pleased for me, they were with my GCSE's and I was absolutely distraught with those results!
*Bethany*
hehe true :biggrin: BCDE - that's a fun mixture!!

My parents were actually OK about my GCSEs because I did better than they expected for once.

I know what ya mean - at SHS it was totally different, because by GCSE level my friends were way better than me at everything except English, French and history (as well as being faaaaaar better all rounders) so I could moan as much as I wanted :wink: Now though, am in same situation as you because my friends&teachers here expect me 2 do well&either get mad or laugh if I say I won't :mad: which sucks because then if you do do badly you feel even worse!

I bet you do get an A in English - it sounded like your c/w was really good and I bet the exams went much better than you think. Even in the unlikely event of your dropping to a B, AAAB is fine - I wouldn't mind getting that, it's screwing up history that really worries me.

Dyu by any chance know how to say something along the lines of, "keep to my diet" or "watch my figure" in French?? lol!

Lol I know! It would have been even funnier if he'd carried on with psychology because he was predicted an A in that, so he would have got 1 of each grade! He's one of those people that just does very little work all year and then a bit of revision at the end, so he got a B in business studies, a C in French, a D in General Studies and an E in ICT, but he could have done a lot better.

It must have been hard for you to have to change to such a different atmosphere after 5 years! At least with me, I've been at the same secondary school since Year 7 and went to an awful primary school before that, so it's always been the same and I've kind of got used to now! It is nice when people have so much confidence in you, but it does make you feel more pressured and you feel bad if you don't do as well as everyone expects you to, like when everyone wrote in my leaver's book 'you'll get all A*s and As' and I didn't :frown: :redface:

Thanks :smile: I'm hoping this is just one of those times when I think I've done badly but I haven't because it's so hard to tell with English. I know getting a B wouldn't be bad, but getting high As would really increase my confidence about applying to Cambridge since I already have my GCSE results letting me down a bit. I'm sure you'll get an A in history though; if you were always top at a really high-achieving private school, I don't think you have anything to worry about! :smile:

Hmmm, well you could say something like 'suivre strictement mon regime' or 'garder mon forme'. Why do you want to know?
kellywood_5
Lol I know! It would have been even funnier if he'd carried on with psychology because he was predicted an A in that, so he would have got 1 of each grade! He's one of those people that just does very little work all year and then a bit of revision at the end, so he got a B in business studies, a C in French, a D in General Studies and an E in ICT, but he could have done a lot better.

It must have been hard for you to have to change to such a different atmosphere after 5 years! At least with me, I've been at the same secondary school since Year 7 and went to an awful primary school before that, so it's always been the same and I've kind of got used to now! It is nice when people have so much confidence in you, but it does make you feel more pressured and you feel bad if you don't do as well as everyone expects you to, like when everyone wrote in my leaver's book 'you'll get all A*s and As' and I didn't :frown: :redface:

Thanks :smile: I'm hoping this is just one of those times when I think I've done badly but I haven't because it's so hard to tell with English. I know getting a B wouldn't be bad, but getting high As would really increase my confidence about applying to Cambridge since I already have my GCSE results letting me down a bit. I'm sure you'll get an A in history though; if you were always top at a really high-achieving private school, I don't think you have anything to worry about! :smile:

Hmmm, well you could say something like 'suivre strictement mon regime' or 'garder mon forme'. Why do you want to know?

hehe that would indeed have been even funnier :biggrin:! ha he sounds a bit like me - I've improved a bit now though as cos I have less noisy friends to distract me here, I listen more&pick up more during the year which really helps, esp. as I still can't make myself revise til last minute. Then I revise til 2 am every morning :biggrin: Yeah tis sad that a lot of people underachieve from lack of motivation, but the majority of us seem to be like that! What's he up to now that he's quit? Mind you, tis considered fairly difficult to even get a C in French by a lot of people, lol. I know one girl at college who has taken a new set of AS levels because she's decided she wants to study Zoology instead of History at Oxford - so she's now got As in History, English, Geography, Biology, Chemistry and a B in Maths, yet only managed a C in French! Scary.

That's v. true, I guess everything has its ups and downs! Same here, I'd really love to get some 280+s, preferably in everything but French. I'm sure you'll get them; imo anyone who can do as well as you did on AS French mocky things can do anything :wink: I guess all we can do is wait and see ... :frown: well I was top in Eng&top 3 in French, but I dropped in history during GCSEs and got an A instead of A* - 2 much 2 learn in too little time - hehe don't recommend leaving Vietnam, the Cold War, Suffragette movement and WW1 to revise max of 2 days before each exam having missed virtually every lesson :redface: was pretty strong on Russia & Germany cos we'd done it the year before, so that must've pulled me through. Bloody GCSEs... lol :smile:

great those are both really useful thanks :biggrin: (I'm writing a modernised version of Cinderella using lots of subjunctives in French, then making it into a book)
*Bethany*
hehe that would indeed have been even funnier :biggrin:! ha he sounds a bit like me - I've improved a bit now though as cos I have less noisy friends to distract me here, I listen more&pick up more during the year which really helps, esp. as I still can't make myself revise til last minute. Then I revise til 2 am every morning :biggrin: Yeah tis sad that a lot of people underachieve from lack of motivation, but the majority of us seem to be like that! What's he up to now that he's quit? Mind you, tis considered fairly difficult to even get a C in French by a lot of people, lol. I know one girl at college who has taken a new set of AS levels because she's decided she wants to study Zoology instead of History at Oxford - so she's now got As in History, English, Geography, Biology, Chemistry and a B in Maths, yet only managed a C in French! Scary.

That's v. true, I guess everything has its ups and downs! Same here, I'd really love to get some 280+s, preferably in everything but French. I'm sure you'll get them; imo anyone who can do as well as you did on AS French mocky things can do anything :wink: I guess all we can do is wait and see ... :frown: well I was top in Eng&top 3 in French, but I dropped in history during GCSEs and got an A instead of A* - 2 much 2 learn in too little time - hehe don't recommend leaving Vietnam, the Cold War, Suffragette movement and WW1 to revise max of 2 days before each exam having missed virtually every lesson :redface: was pretty strong on Russia & Germany cos we'd done it the year before, so that must've pulled me through. Bloody GCSEs... lol :smile:

great those are both really useful thanks :biggrin: (I'm writing a modernised version of Cinderella using lots of subjunctives in French, then making it into a book)

He works as an apprentice for an electrical firm and is starting a college course to get his qualifications in September. Guess who I'm borrowing money from when I'm a bankrupt French teacher? :rofl: :biggrin: He got an A* in French at GCSE, so the C at AS was a bit of a come down, but still good considering he hardly worked for it. Doing that many subjects is the scary thing!

Hee hee, mocky things, I may just steal that :p: You got an A when you were really ill though, I got an A when I was in perfect health!

Is that for college or you just doing it because you have a warped idea of fun? :aetsch: I'm about to write a 350 word essay on the environment :boring:
kellywood_5
He works as an apprentice for an electrical firm and is starting a college course to get his qualifications in September. Guess who I'm borrowing money from when I'm a bankrupt French teacher? :rofl: :biggrin: He got an A* in French at GCSE, so the C at AS was a bit of a come down, but still good considering he hardly worked for it. Doing that many subjects is the scary thing!

Hee hee, mocky things, I may just steal that :p: You got an A when you were really ill though, I got an A when I was in perfect health!

Is that for college or you just doing it because you have a warped idea of fun? :aetsch: I'm about to write a 350 word essay on the environment :boring:

hehe, he'll probably end up making more money that if he'd stayed on, lol! It's practical jobs requiring a hell of a lot of skill that we're apparently lacking people for now.

I have a tendency to invent random words and phrases! But the reason I got them was that although I'd taken in next to nothing for a year, my school (being an exam factory) had been pumping us full of information that was useful for GCSEs since our first year, & luckily I have a v retentive memory. I bet you had to work really hard for yours, because your school didn't spoonfeed you or help you in the same way; it's evident it makes a huge difference as Cam's noticed it and worked it into the GCSE grading system

:rofl: Well yeah I actually *do* have a pretty warped idea of fun; but this was French homework - well between me and a partner, but I'm a total control freak and have ended up taking it home to finish myself :redface:
*Bethany*
hehe, he'll probably end up making more money that if he'd stayed on, lol! It's practical jobs requiring a hell of a lot of skill that we're apparently lacking people for now.

I have a tendency to invent random words and phrases! But the reason I got them was that although I'd taken in next to nothing for a year, my school (being an exam factory) had been pumping us full of information that was useful for GCSEs since our first year, & luckily I have a v retentive memory. I bet you had to work really hard for yours, because your school didn't spoonfeed you or help you in the same way; it's evident it makes a huge difference as Cam's noticed it and worked it into the GCSE grading system

:rofl: Well yeah I actually *do* have a pretty warped idea of fun; but this was French homework - well between me and a partner, but I'm a total control freak and have ended up taking it home to finish myself :redface:

You still had to work hard for your grades though. Whether your school spoonfed you or not, you wouldn't have got 5 A*s and 3 As, not to mention coming so high up in English, French and history, if you weren't intelligent, and you wouldn't be about to get AAAA at AS either :p:

I always end up doing that because no-one else can be bothered to do the work lol.
Reply 246
what do you do when you get good grades, but your best m8s do not......happens all the time and i feel so akward!
Reply 247
topdude
what do you do when you get good grades, but your best m8s do not......happens all the time and i feel so akward!

just encourage them,comfort them tell them that not getting marks is not a standerd for their own mental abilities it's just skills and practice,they still got the chance to improve,and ,maybe something better will come out of it
noooooooo 17 days left :frown:
Reply 249
i just want results day to hurry up and get here... im not expecting A's or nothing but if i get accepted to my firm uni (asking for AAB) i will not care what grades i get!

Latest