The Student Room Group

Statue of Sir Keith Park unveiled on Fourth Plinth

Link

After years of hosting contemporary art the Fourth Plinth in Trafalgar Square has finally got something more traditional a statue of a war hero.

The statue of Sir Keith Park, who spearheaded the RAF's campaign during the Battle of Britain, was unveiled by Boris Johnson to warm applause.

The event ends a two-year campaign to secure a permanent memorial to Sir Keith, whose tactical brilliance against the advice of his superiors helped RAF fighters to gain the upper hand against superior German forces.

It will only stay six months, as the plinth has been dedicated to host temporary arts commissions into the future.

However, a permanent statue is to be unveiled next September in Waterloo Place to mark the 70th anniversary of the battle.

Previously, the only recognition that New Zealander Sir Keith received was having a street named after him in Biggin Hill, Kent.

Mr Johnson, who gave his backing for a memorial while contesting the mayoralty against Ken Livingstone, said he could not believe how much Sir Keith had done for Britain "and how little this country knew about what he had done".

A Royal Air Force Spitfire and a Typhoon aircraft flew through the sky to mark the occasion, which was also attended by veterans and Air Chief Marshal Sir Stephen Dalton, Chief of the Air Staff.

He described Sir Keith as "a true hero of the RAF".

Good idea!
G8D
Never heard of him.

That says more about your knowledge of history than it does about him.
Good bloke
That says more about your knowledge of history than it does about him.

True. But also how little recognition Sir Keith Park has recieved for his actions.
thunder_chunky
True. But also how little recognition Sir Keith Park has recieved for his actions.

Well, apart from the lack of a statue, his full name, Air Chief Marshal Sir Keith Rodney Park GCB, KBE, MC & Bar, DFC, indicates a list of decorations as long as my arm - two knighthoods, forsooth!
Good bloke
Well, apart from the lack of a statue, his full name, Air Chief Marshal Sir Keith Rodney Park GCB, KBE, MC & Bar, DFC, indicates a list of decorations as long as my arm - two knighthoods, forsooth!

I meant public recognition rather than those titles mentioned above.
thunder_chunky
I meant public recognition rather than those titles mentioned above.

Knighthoods represent public recognition. I presume you actually mean recognition by members of the public.

It is a little odd; I suppose the RAF is little-recognised, unlike the army's leaders. Everyone knows about Montgomery, Slim and Auchinleck (cue some ignorant person to come and and confess their shameful lack of knowledge) but not RAF commanders. Park was the commander of the RAF group that won the Battle of Britain, and entirely equivalent to those army heroes in both status and in what he achieved for the country.
Good bloke
Knighthoods represent public recognition. I presume you actually mean recognition by members of the public.

:yes:

It is a little odd; I suppose the RAF is little-recognised, unlike the army's leaders. Everyone knows about Montgomery, Slim and Auchinleck (cue some ignorant person to come and and confess their shameful lack of knowledge) but not RAF commanders. Park was the commander of the RAF group that won the Battle of Britain, and entirely equivalent to those army heroes in both status and in what he achieved for the country.

Yes this is true. Although there are exceptions, like Douglas Bader. and the Dambuster bombing raids.

It's strange though, you'd have thought there would be more since the faliure to defeat the RAF at the Battle of Britain was one of if not the main reason "Operation Sealion" was abandoned by Hitler.

Latest

Trending

Trending