The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Oh God, here we go again...
JesChum
I was just wondering if any other people who are at a public school feel discrimination from other people? I don't majorly, but i think it'll b worse at uni. I wouldn't hv changed my education for the world, it's been a blast. My friends r awesome.

Do people at state school feel jealous or have opinions about people at public schools?

Feel free to say exactly how you feel.

i go to a state school i suppose u could call it....we couldnt give a toss about public school children - take it ur from america? lol all we get is 'you are so f***ing stupid your schools a ****hole...' (wrote than in my english paper :p: ) lol we do get discrimated against academically but musically and athletically we dont....which isnt too bad i suppose, also my schools nicknamed Holiday Tramp Camp.... lol xoxo
Reply 3
tammy_girl
lol all we get is 'you are so f***ing stupid your schools a ****hole...' (wrote than in my english paper :p: ) lol we do get discrimated against academically but musically and athletically we dont....which isnt too bad i suppose, also my schools nicknamed Holiday Tramp Camp.... lol xoxo

I don't think the examiners would like it if you swear. :p: :eek:

I don't think this public school pupils thing would happen at uni, as everyone is kind of treated equally.
trev
I don't think the examiners would like it if you swear. :p: :eek:

I don't think this public school pupils thing would happen at uni, as everyone is kind of treated equally.

lol!!!! i dont care i was wiritng a letter to the govenor apparently......it was funny though :p: ^_^ xoxo
Reply 5
tammy_girl
lol!!!! i dont care i was wiritng a letter to the govenor apparently......it was funny though :p: ^_^ xoxo

Naughty, lol. :p: Hopefully you would still pass english. At least you could write in a way that is similar to swear words, but not using swear words.
trev
Naughty, lol. :p: Hopefully you would still pass english. At least you could write in a way that is similar to swear words, but not using swear words.

lol not really because thats what they do actually say to us haha!.... :p: but if i fail i can get another go at it in november :smile: xoxo
Reply 7
tammy_girl
lol not really because thats what they do actually say to us haha!.... :p: but if i fail i can get another go at it in november :smile: xoxo

A school swearing to you? That doesn't happen in our school. Yeah, you get to resit it in November. At least you just swore in one writing section. I want to read the examiners report about the writing section, it will say 'it is surprising that some students write swear words in the 'informing' question for section B, and they are discouraged to do that'. :p:
trev
A school swearing to you? That doesn't happen in our school. Yeah, you get to resit it in November. At least you just swore in one writing section. I want to read the examiners report about the writing section, it will say 'it is surprising that some students write swear words in the 'informing' question for section B, and they are discouraged to do that'. :p:

lol no theschool doesnt....its the people going to grammar schools who's bus stop is infront of my school :p: lol!!!! we give as good as we receive :wink: xoxo
JesChum
I was just wondering if any other people who are at a public school feel discrimination from other people? I don't majorly, but i think it'll b worse at uni. I wouldn't hv changed my education for the world, it's been a blast. My friends r awesome.

Do people at state school feel jealous or have opinions about people at public schools?

Feel free to say exactly how you feel.

I went to a state school, had the opportunity to go to a private school or the local grammar school by taking the 11 plus exams, but i chose to go to a state school as i felt it would be beneficial to learn how to teach myself. It annoys me when people say that those at 'state schools' are envious of those at private or public schools, what reason do they have? The fact that their education was free, rather than paid for? It makes no odds, if you work hard you have no reason to feel envious because you will be getting the grades due to your own hard work not the pressure of a strict environment. There is a great deal of good in public and private schools, just as there is in attending a state school, it really depends on the person. However i pride myself on the fact that my parents had enough faith in me not to send me somewhere where i would be forced to work, allowing me to get good grades off my own back and not off being pushed for 7 years of my life. I'm not saying that those that attend paying schools aren't the same, i know a lot of people can work extremely hard without being pushed, but at the same time, a lot of parents send their children to private schools so that their children can be forced to work.
laurenlauren
I went to a state school, had the opportunity to go to a private school or the local grammar school by taking the 11 plus exams, but i chose to go to a state school as i felt it would be beneficial to learn how to teach myself. It annoys me when people say that those at 'state schools' are envious of those at private or public schools, what reason do they have? The fact that their education was free, rather than paid for? It makes no odds, if you work hard you have no reason to feel envious because you will be getting the grades due to your own hard work not the pressure of a strict environment. There is a great deal of good in public and private schools, just as there is in attending a state school, it really depends on the person. However i pride myself on the fact that my parents had enough faith in me not to send me somewhere where i would be forced to work, allowing me to get good grades off my own back and not off being pushed for 7 years of my life. I'm not saying that those that attend paying schools aren't the same, i know a lot of people can work extremely hard without being pushed, but at the same time, a lot of parents send their children to private schools so that their children can be forced to work.

Claps for Lauren ^_^ well said :smile: xoxo
Reply 11
laurenlauren

*******s! You were thinking like that at 11? I doubt it somehow, either that or I was completely backward and my peers too.
riccardo
*******s! You were thinking like that at 11? I doubt it somehow, either that or I was completely backward and my peers too.

lol ricardo i done my transfer exam and i passed but went to a state school..... because i didnt like how people presented state schools against public schools, my principal in primary pushed and pushed so i told him to f*** off im going to 'XXX' school.... lol he never pushed again :smile: haha xoxo
I have friends from both independent and state schools, there is no bad sentiment at all, i would never judge a person whether they went to state or public school...

Tammy, stop saying "lol", reading your posts makes my eyes squint.
beekeeper_
I have friends from both independent and state schools, there is no bad sentiment at all, i would never judge a person whether they went to state or public school...

Tammy, stop saying "lol", it makes my eyes squint just to read it.

haha ok i wont say it then.....:p: xoxo
riccardo

Yes i was actually. I didn't want to go somewhere with a lot of pressure as I wanted to learn how to do it myself. Evidently i wasn't thinking it in such complex terms but the general idea was there. Plus i didn't like the competition side of things, i'd experienced it at my primary school and i didn't feel that i should have to prove myself to other people in order to get into a grammar school and didn't want to go to a private school as i didn't like the idea of being pushed. I wanted to work hard to try and do it for myself. I'm not saying by any means that those at grammar or private schools DON'T work or CAN'T, neither am i saying that all private schools are pushy...its just that the majority where I live are. Everyone is different and I know that state schooling didn't help a lot of my classmates. I found that it helped me learn more about myself and other people as well as how and when to work.
Reply 16
The results students get are a mix between natural ability and drive. A not so clever pupil can excell a very clever pupil simply by working harder. For this reason I wouldn't discriminate between private school students and state school students. If you don't want to work, you're not going to work whether you're in a private school or a state school - even though there are pupils being pushed like mad, they just can't be bothered and come up with the work. Private schools does NOT equal an easy ride.

Though that doesn't change the fact that there's still friction between the two. I go to a private school and we can't get the bus without snide comments from pupils at other local state schools. Generally I don't retaliate, but it just gives me an overall bad impression of the pupils attending that school. I don't think it's jealousy, I just think eveyrone has images of what the other people's life is like.
I agree with Bisha - private school is not an easy ride and I for one have not been pushed. Yes there are standards (ie: at my last school, work had to be in the next morning - if it wasnt and you did this 3 times - detention). At my current school there are standards and in the 6th form like any other 6th form - its your choice - you don't do the work, you suffer the consequences.

I wasn't pushed at all through my GCSEs - yes I was given extra work because I had the work hard ethic that my other mates lacked - and it paid off.

After being at private school for my entire life (6months in a state primary being the exception), I have had some snide comments - most notably when you're playing netball in tournements and you're the only private school team there. All of us just ignored it and carried on.

I dont think its jealously, its more "oooooooo, you're so posh etc" Its the sterotyping that gets me and always has. The majority of people at private school are down to earth normal people who are there because their parents are prepared to pay for education.

Surely if there wasn't a need for private education they wouldn't be private schools. I think this government really needs to sort themselves out fast
vickytoria77
I agree with Bisha - private school is not an easy ride and I for one have not been pushed. Yes there are standards (ie: at my last school, work had to be in the next morning - if it wasnt and you did this 3 times - detention). At my current school there are standards and in the 6th form like any other 6th form - its your choice - you don't do the work, you suffer the consequences.

I wasn't pushed at all through my GCSEs - yes I was given extra work because I had the work hard ethic that my other mates lacked - and it paid off.

After being at private school for my entire life (6months in a state primary being the exception), I have had some snide comments - most notably when you're playing netball in tournements and you're the only private school team there. All of us just ignored it and carried on.

I dont think its jealously, its more "oooooooo, you're so posh etc" Its the sterotyping that gets me and always has. The majority of people at private school are down to earth normal people who are there because their parents are prepared to pay for education.

Surely if there wasn't a need for private education they wouldn't be private schools. I think this government really needs to sort themselves out fast

I agree with when you've both said. I just found that where I live, the schools are renowned for being "pushy" because they have to compete with non paying grammar schools in order to keep high in the league tables.
I think the hostility between those from state schools and those from private schools is mainly due to a lack of knowledge and a reliance on stereotypes rather than jealousy. I'd imagine it would be less noticeable at university because there is a mix and it becomes inevitable than you'll have friends from both types of school. Personally I wouldn't want to go to a private school because I feel you learn to mix and get on with a variety of people much better at state schools and I have a work ethic that means I don't need to be pushed all the time.

Latest

Trending

Trending