The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Because humans are more important than animals. I heard somewhere that animal charities get more money donated to than human charities, which if true is horrible.

Have you ever swatted a fly or a wasp? If you have but wouldn't kill a puppy, then you've immediately established that there is in fact a heirarchy, even in your own mind. Do you know one of the reasons that they use rats for testing and not kittens? It's because most people, even animal lovers, don't care about rats because they don't look cute.

Rats feel pain, rats are particularly intelligent, but do you think a thread about a rat being stamped on would get hundreds of angry posts like the one about a fawn being stamped on did?

If the world of animal loving wasn't so superficial, I might take arguments about equal rights more seriously, but I just see them as hypocritical. Even most animal lovers favour the animals that look the cutest.

I accept that there's a hierarchy of animals in the eyes of humans. I would rather a rat died than you died, and if you didn't feel the same way towards me then I would find that monstrous.
How great would that be? It would change this country for the better.

We would take an enormous moral high ground over other nations. Our murder rate would plummet imo. There would be huge comradery. We would reclaim the country after it being flattened for animal murder.

Plenty of people are vegetarians, and they have a point.
Treat animals as equals? Don't take the mickey.

Just don't eat them. No ones asking you to befriend them
Reply 83
This is in the same vein as attempting to ban alcohol- it won't happen, and it won't work.

I must ask one thing- you're not a vegan, are you?
Reply 84
The fortification of macronutrients found naturally in plants, fruits and animals has been criticised on numerous occasions, it led to a report last year which claimed that many of the vitamins and dietary supplements sold on store shelves are either wholly useless or lack the quality of those found naturally.

Also let us not try and equate the slave trade with the consumption of animals for survival. Thats just wrong and, personally, I find it to be a trivialization of a deeply horrific act which has left horrible scars, to even bring it up in this debate is highly insulting. Slavery and meat consumption are entirely different. One is feeding off another species for nutrition and sustenance, the other is the systematic enforcing of labor in which your fellow human is considered the property of another. Anyone with sense would see that these two acts cannot be compared, after all for those who dont have the access to pharmaceutically induced supplementation, the consumption of meat is essential in sustaining a balanced and nutritious diet.

We, like our fellow animals, have been hunting and consuming other species for thousands of years. What has changed today? We have more efficient ways of doing it which are cost-effective? Ancient methods of slaughter included clubbing and/or stabbing of the animal, on many occasions a predator may begin consuming its prey even before it is deceased. Rather cruel considering the fact that these animals still "feel", what makes modern society any different?

What if we waited for these said animals to fall dead? How would an ever increasing population even consider feeding itself? Considering the fact that many non-meat foods require systemic cultivation how would we even begin to feed our populations? Not only is the notion daft but it is entirely unfeasible, hence is idiotic to even entertain.
But you do pay attention to it, we all do apart from perhaps the very extremities of animal rights activism.

I'll repeat my point: If a rat or a human had to die, which would you pick?
Reply 86
Not the vegans...

I'll accept you can have your odd diet of camomile tea and other stuff, but you can't impose a meat ban on the whole nation because you feel it's inhumane.
NO YOU CRAZY HIPPY.
because meat is so fkn :drool:
Reply 88
No, a few individuals don't have the right to ban what I eat. I like meat, and personally think all veggies (who are ones out of choice) are stupid. lol.

Animals are here for humans enjoyment, and I intent to fully take advantage of that fact.
Reply 89
No-one has even mentioned the inevitable over-crowding of the animals if the govt banned meat consumption. Where would they go? Also, festivals such as Christmas as well as British customs such as the Sunday roast which basically revolves around the dinner table, would be highly effected. Britons won't take it.
Reply 90
The majority of people will agree slavery and murder are wrong. The majority of people will not agree that we should stop eating meat and let the animals run free like bloody Free Willy.

I like meat- I consider it a staple part of my diet. I eat it to survive- this is the way the world works. Seeing that chicken called Gloria run free and happy isn't going to sustain me. However, eating Gloria in a korma will. Restricting your diet because of some ethical consideration that hurting the animals is wrong is stupid in itself. Seeking to impose a fringe lifestyle on 60 million people who would happily kill flies and eat meat is plumbing new depths.
Reply 91
Because they involve humans. If you can't see a moral difference between killing a human, and killing an animal, then you are an idiot.

Animal consumption doesn't hurt anyone - if an animal is mistreated, who cares. There is the assumption that just because we could give them a beautiful environment to live in, we should. The hardships an animal would endure in the wild are bigger than anything we inflict.
Reply 92
amii_G
No-one has even mentioned the inevitable over-crowding of the animals if the govt banned meat consumption. Where would they go? Also, festivals such as Christmas as well as British customs such as the Sunday roast which basically revolves around the dinner table, would be highly effected. Britons won't take it.

Oh my, I never even considered the Sunday roast.. that in itself is a perfectly good reason not to ban meat consumption.
CHICKEN FOR ALL!
Reply 93
So you're suggesting us to deny the animals to mate and breed?
Nathan.Boyd
-_- we're not made to do or be anything, unless you're a creationist. We have evolved to be able to eat meat because in the past, when humans and their ancestors couldn't get the sustenance they required from anything other than meat, those who could eat meat and had the instinct to hunt survived longer.

But now, the vast majority of people do not require meat, they just like it. Social evolution has made many evolutionary adaptations superfluous. Just because you are physically able to do something it doesn't mean that it's right. For example many people under the age of 16 are physically capable of reproducing, and in the past would have done. But as a society we have imposed age of consent laws, which value the welfare of kids over the now unnecessary evolutionary drive to increase population.

Anyway, I would like to see meat eating banned, but I won't hold my breath. I have yet to hear any argument explaining why it is acceptable to enslave, kill and eat animals but not humans. What is the difference that makes it flip between morally right and wrong?

I agree with everything you have said.

Also, as a side note, animals CAN and DO feel emotions just like humans. People just turn a blind eye to them so they can justify the disgusting way farm animals are treated. Ever heard of animal's stereotypical behaviour? Look it up.
No, obviously not.
Reply 96
Lucyyy
Oh my, I never even considered the Sunday roast.. that in itself is a perfectly good reason not to ban meat consumption.
CHICKEN FOR ALL!

Whether you think it's trivial or not doesn't come into the equation. People won't take the fact that the govt is limiting their choice of food, especially something as pivotal as meat which plays a huge part in festivities.
paella
Because they involve humans. If you can't see a moral difference between killing a human, and killing an animal, then you are an idiot.

Animal consumption doesn't hurt anyone - if an animal is mistreated, who cares. There is the assumption that just because we could give them a beautiful environment to live in, we should. The hardships an animal would endure in the wild are bigger than anything we inflict.

you're actually a complete ......
Reply 98
issih
lol why would they!?
everyone would just die because they wouldn't get enough protein.
i mean i don't eat meat but i know lots of people are a lot more unhealthy with me.
for some people take away the meat it would just be CHIPS AND PIZZA.

Dont be so ridiculous, why the hell would anyone die, im not dead, no one I know thats a vegetarian has died.:s-smilie: .

Ive been a vegetarian for about 5 years and I just cant understand why anyone would want to eat meat. Its pure greed imo, theres no need to eat it nowadays, I mean thousandssss of years ago sure, but not now. Saying that I dont think it should be banned, people should have the right to chose whether they want to eat it or not- there are a lot more things that could be considered banning rather than meat but we have to have some free choice.
Reply 99
No. It is inefficient to apply the (incredibly daft in my view) technique of waiting until an animal is deceased before consuming it. Considering the fact that our population is increasing so rapidly such methods would be entirely unsustainable.

You also talk of using fortification and micro-organisms/mycoproteins as if they are entirely trouble free. A level biology would of taught you that there are a long list of cons to producing protein synthetically for consumption. Cheaper it may be but once again there is a sacrifice in quality. Also, whilst there are some macronutrients which have been successfully fortified the same is not true for many, many others. Yeah you can gain some nutrients but you would still be lacking many others. You would be shocked at the vast and varied amounts found in white and red meats. There is your belief and then there is fact, that fact is that we are finding it incredibly difficult to sustain populations (in the UK surprisingly) as it is, eliminating meats would only complicate the problem.

Latest

Trending

Trending