The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Do you not have a dictaphone or similar device?
Reply 2
I don't understand...?
Reply 3
holiday, can you explain whats happened again i dont quite understand. do you mean your funding for a notetaker has not been aproved, or that the notetaker himself has said you dont need a notetaker.

do you have a dictaphone you can use, or take photocopies of someone elses notes, so your not missing things for now?

and who has written a letter to the uni? the notetaker? about what?
Reply 4
Hey all,

Basically the uni said that I am not allowed a note taker for a timetabled session as this is a group work feedback session. My assessor did not put group work or meetings on and the note taking company asked the disability manager if this was allowed or not.
The disability manager said that she had to talk to me about what I am not allowed and allowed. The manager said I am not allowed to have note takers in meetings and group feedback sessions even though it’s all timetabled.

I then asked the British Dyslexia Assoc to help me out and they said to ring the Assessor and tell them to change it. I then asked the assessor to change it but he is not budging on his decision.

I have now got depression due to this and panic levels are up. I then asked my GP to speak to the head of BDA and they said that the GP had to write a letter to increase the hours for group work etc. I even told the BDA about my psych report and she said that I should have one for all classes and meetings. Therefore the GP is writing a letter to tell about my report and what he thinks. I really don’t know what to do at this point just wait until comes through the door and show it to the uni and show them my depression ticket etc.
I have also used a Dictaphone and this is not working as there is too much of background noise and its very annoying to listen back when you have coursework to hand in. The note taker would be so much easier as it’s quick and efficient and I can see it immediately.

Please can someone help me out with this problem and suggest any ideas.
Reply 5
Holiday

Please can someone help me out with this problem and suggest any ideas.

could you photocopy the notes that one of the other group members take. a friend in the same session perhaps?
Reply 6
Erm no because no copies notes as its their property etc
Do you have Dragon naturally speaking?

If you do, would be worth a shot with the dictaphone and running the recordings through that.

The university and course have to make reasonable adjustment, but they may be able to make a strong enough case that group sessions are different to lectures and thus a note taker is not appropriate, so it may be the case that you need to try and get some study skills type support on the best way to take notes yourself in conjunction with using the dictaphone.
Reply 8
Erm no, and my assessor has firmly wrote a letter that saying I am not allowed to have additional software/hardware for my course. So I can't have that.
It sounds like there's a big discrepancy between what you think you need and what the support services think you need.

While that difference exists you're going to keep having problems.

Have you seen the copy of you medical/ed pysch report? What does that say your problems are and what help does it recommend? If that says you need x, y and z and yuo're not getting it then there should be a way to fix it. If it doens't, then you're unlikely to get it until you get a report that says you need it.

Latest