The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
deej2
My heaf test raised so much they sent me to hospital to see if I had TB, when I came up all clear they gave me the BCG anyway! I had to be held down by two nurses, but, well, if i was intended to have any more holes in me, God would have put the in for me . . .

LOLOL.

Poor you!
Reply 21
SammyD
If almost everyone has to have the BCG, and people with natural immunity can have the BCG as well, why do they bother with heaf tests?

I think either a relatively high percentage of people do have immunity (say 10-15%) or it is quite expensive and the NHS don't want to give it to people who don't need it?

-Kavanne
Reply 22
deej2
My heaf test raised so much they sent me to hospital to see if I had TB, when I came up all clear they gave me the BCG anyway! I had to be held down by two nurses, but, well, if i was intended to have any more holes in me, God would have put the in for me . . .

my friends did that her dad for got she had had the BCG in year 4 - she lived in jersey
Reply 23
ergh...needles :frown:

im so glad i havent had a jab for 10 years (long story why) so i havent had my BCG or MMR or tetnus. im perfectly heathy at the moment! :smile:
wow, i didn't know it was called the heaf test. I got my BCG last year, and its fine. It didn't really hurt, just try not to tense your arm.

i was lucky, u cant even see where I got it done. Out of 250 ppl in the year only 1 person didn't need to get it, and even ppl whos dots came up, the majority were given the jag anyway.

Good luck!
Reply 25
I didn't have to get it - I thought it was great at first. There were about ten people in my year who didn't need to get it, and they sent eveyrone in to get chest x-rays to make sure there wasn't a TB epidemic. :eek: All my close family and friends had to get x-rayed, then I had to go on a six month course of pills and get a jag that's apparantly even MORE painful than the BCG. :frown:

So honestly, it's better to have it than not!
Reply 26
Mishael
I didn't have to get it - I thought it was great at first. There were about ten people in my year who didn't need to get it, and they sent eveyrone in to get chest x-rays to make sure there wasn't a TB epidemic. :eek: All my close family and friends had to get x-rayed, then I had to go on a six month course of pills and get a jag that's apparantly even MORE painful than the BCG. :frown:

So honestly, it's better to have it than not!

Did you actually have TB then? Surely they would only put you on antibiotics if you actually had it...?

-Kavanne
The BCG is probably the most over-hyped immunisation. People always used to say that the jab was very painful for some reason.

The worst thing about it is that after a few days it starts to scab over, and the scab is easily knocked off and bleeds. My scab must of came off at least about 15 times before it eventually scarred over. It was annoying whern people used to hit your BCG, which would knock the scab off, most of the time it was girls that did it, so i couldn't really retaliate, but in theory i could have got them suspended from school.
Reply 28
Kavanne
Did you actually have TB then? Surely they would only put you on antibiotics if you actually had it...?

-Kavanne

I didn't have actual human TB but they thought we might have been exposed to some sort of animal form which gave us immunity against it. I don't really know though, I was young! :p:
Reply 29
Mishael
I didn't have actual human TB but they thought we might have been exposed to some sort of animal form which gave us immunity against it. I don't really know though, I was young! :p:

Mycobacterium bovis! (TB in cows)

I am so cool :biggrin:

-Kavanne
Reply 30
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

So just went back to the nursey people and they said
That's a grade 2 reaction, you're immune

No injection! I win :smile:

I was the only person who went who didn't need it, that generally seems to happen with the rest of you who replied.
the scabbed place can also get infected which makes an even bigger scar. mine got infected 4 weeks after they said it would have healed, and the site disappered literally 2 days after the injection! do not trust what they say - they said it would be healed after 6 weeks to me and it wasnt. liers!!! :rolleyes:
Reply 32
well get this for a horror story... my scar is around an inch in diameter!!!
I don't have a scar at all, but it's still visible on most of my friends...
Mine swelled up just as much as everyone elses when I had it 3 1/2 years ago, and there was quite a bit of yellow puss for a while although that was pretty normal and I didn't honestly think it hurt a lot.....it's just the fact they use a large syringe that makes it overhyped. I had a local aneasthetic to remove an ingrown toe nail, and that must have been the most painful jab ever.....well the jab only felt like a scratch but then the stuff they injected made my whole foot feel as if it was on fire before it actually went numb. Anyway, a couple of days after my BCG when it was going down, I caught it on my bedpost, knocking the scab off, and then I think it got infected and wouldn't scab over again. For about a week it oozed puss all over my shirts, and when it finally healed, I was left with a bright pink scar about the size of a 5 pence piece. And then it stayed bright pink for about 2 years which was really annoying because it was really visible. Only recently has it gone to my natural skin colour, and it's really annoying, because some of my friends were left with no marks even a couple of days after it.

Latest