The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
alithegreat
No one created God and God knows that knowledge about the how universe came into existence as it says in Quran

Say: He is Allah, the One and Only;
Allah, the Eternal, Absolute;
He begetteth not, nor is He begotten;
And there is none like unto Him.

I am sure as the science progresses all these myths will be cleared

Just another quote from Quran
Blessed is He Who made constellations in the skies,
And placed therein a lamp (siraaj)
And a moon which has reflected light.

Who would have known 1400 years ago that moon had a reflected light infact this has recently been discovered

In Harry Potter is says that there is a talking hat, although that doesn't mean it exists.

Don't quote the Qu'ran as it doesn't really prove arugment by design. You may as well have just written on a piece of paper the essence of your first paper and it would be equally as valid.
Reply 41
I'm sorry but the Christian God, Allah and the Jewish God, are all the same.
Just because it's a different name, doesn't mean it's not the same God.
For example, Spanish people call God, Dios. Is it to say that the Spanish people follow a different religion?
Reply 42
alithegreat
It might be, as I said I did not practise my religion at all and I used feel awful inside myself about the things I used to do. It was afterwards that I started researching into religions and my faith became stronger and stronger

Try it yourself, if you are born in a chrisian family then you might have bible in your home start from the Bible and if that doesnt satisfy you then move on on o the next one and so on. You do believe in God dont you??

You treat religions like sex positions from the Karma Sutra.
Reply 43
alithegreat
No one created God

Then why not cut it one shorter and say noone created the universe.

P.S. I liked your argument against my original point I didn't agree with it but it was a good rebuttle.
alithegreat
It might be, as I said I did not practise my religion at all and I used feel awful inside myself about the things I used to do. It was afterwards that I started researching into religions and my faith became stronger and stronger

Try it yourself, if you are born in a chrisian family then you might have bible in your home start from the Bible and if that doesnt satisfy you then move on on o the next one and so on. You do believe in God dont you??

What do you think of the fact that there are Christians who have faith just as strong as yours that Islam is wrong and Christianity is true? They know it just as surely as you know that Islam is the truth.

If finding which religion satisfies you was the way to find the truth, wouldn't everyone (or most people) settle on one true religion? But that's not the case.

I don't believe in God, no.

CE.Guy
I'm sorry but the Christian God, Allah and the Jewish God, are all the same.
Just because it's a different name, doesn't mean it's not the same God.
For example, Spanish people call God, Dios. Is it to say that the Spanish people follow a different religion?

But it isn't just a different name, their gods have different personalities.
Reply 45
SahilB91
I am not saying it does. But I was using it as an example of a strong theory.

Well, have you seen/heard/be in touch with God for a start?

No. That goes someway to disproving. Although doesn't disprove God in entiriety, it makes the chance that he exists more unlikely.

Many religious people would argue that they have been in touch with god.

Anyway not having evidence for something does not prove that it doesn't exist but it also doesn't prove that it does. As we have no evidence in either direction and it is extremely unlikely that we will ever have evidence, there is no point arguing in either direction.
Reply 46
This is the shttest argument against religion I've ever come across. So, certain religions are correllated with certain areas, like languages. I'm not going to stop speaking English, just because I live in England, nor is it going to stop me speaking German. Religions are spread like languages, they are part of a civilistations culture, why is this a reason against their validity?
Some religions developed out of primitive beliefs in the same way as language evolved out of grunting. It would be ridiculous for either of these things to evolve identically around the world. Religions that evolved in this way, with their beliefs traceable back through to earlier, other religions, and even earlier non-religious beliefs, are arguably incorrect. But, several religions have not evolved from earlier pagan customs, to what they are today, through gradual changes; several religions have arisen due to single events in history - Jesus being born, Mohammed prophesying, Buddha doing whatever he did. These religions are not invalidated by the argument that they are found mainly in the area where they arose (and they are believed in across the world anyway). I've read the Golden Bough - a 1000 page comparative study on religion and folklore, and many ancient religions have common themes which are explainable by consistent aspects of our shared Psyche called archetypes (Jung), and not based on divine principles. Christianity, Judaism, and Islam cannot be explained by a natural evolution from early beliefs, while that aborigine, Chinese Ancestor worship, and South American religions can, and can thus be disregarded as superstition or something thereabouts. The original poster needs to do some more reading before he is in a position to claim that he knows what he is talking about.
edanon
One that i believe Dawkins puts forward a lot? (although i've never read any Dawkins)

How do religious people explain the geographical concentration of people of different religions?

It is blatently obvious that people are generally only religious because they have been raised as such.

If you're born into a religious family in Pakistan then you will most likley grow up claiming that Allah is the one true God.

If you're born into a religious family in The USA then you will most likely grow up claiming that the Christian God is the one true God.

The reason you claim that your religion is the one true faith has nothing to do with it's logic and evidence and everything to do with where you live and who your family are.

You are just preaching what you have been taught.... and you werent neccersarily in control of what you were taught.

Hmmm. You've only mentioned Allah and and the big I Am there, but I believe they're actually the same dude with different names coming from different translations of ancient texts. Fundementally all the beliefs are the same.
Reply 48
i would disagree, what about people who came from an athiestic family, who convert in later life??
Reply 49
Larriant
Many religious people would argue that they have been in touch with god.

Anyway not having evidence for something does not prove that it doesn't exist but it also doesn't prove that it does. As we have no evidence in either direction and it is extremely unlikely that we will ever have evidence, there is no point arguing in either direction.

Depends on what you mean by God. Either way, the scales are tipped towards atheism.
Xenopus
This is the shttest argument against religion I've ever come across. So, certain religions are correllated with certain areas, like languages. I'm not going to stop speaking English, just because I live in England, nor is it going to stop me speaking German. Religions are spread like languages, they are part of a civilistations culture, why is this a reason against their validity?

Er, because religions claim to be the only truth about the universe. Languages don't claim to be the one true way of speaking. There can only be one true religion, but languages can quite obviously coexist.
SahilB91
In Harry Potter is says that there is a talking hat, although that doesn't mean it exists.

Don't quote the Qu'ran as it doesn't really prove arugment by design. You may as well have just written on a piece of paper the essence of your first paper and it would be equally as valid.

So you are saying that I am making it up, just go and read the Quran then you will understand. Mind you, there is only one Quran that was created 1400 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2s14T6x5AM

Answers to your questions
Reply 52
Vanessa44
i would disagree, what about people who came from an athiestic family, who convert in later life??

anecdotal evidence is what it is
nolongerhearthemusic
What do you think of the fact that there are Christians who have faith just as strong as yours that Islam is wrong and Christianity is true? They know it just as surely as you know that Islam is the truth.

If finding which religion satisfies you was the way to find the truth, wouldn't everyone (or most people) settle on one true religion? But that's not the case.

I don't believe in God, no.

But it isn't just a different name, their gods have different personalities.

Reply 54
alithegreat
So you are saying that I am making it up, just go and read the Quran then you will understand. Mind you, there is only one Quran that was created 1400 years ago.

Go read Harry Potter.

Just because something is written in a book cannot be the basis of the existence of God.
Reply 55
adamrules247
Quite simply really, because different profits went to different areas.

Exactly. So the logic of a religion has nothing to do with what religion dominates in a country... it is just to do with which prophets went where. They spew some religious stuff that sounds convincing and each prohet manages to convert people besides the fact that they're preaching different things. The content doesn't matter.... people just believe what they are told.

Now answer me this how do you explain that bananas are perfectly shaped for hands?

Dumbass.

Bananas were a mutation of the Plantanion which was then exploited by HUMANS and cultivated into what we have today.

The banana that "so nicely fits into our hand" is a human creation.

This is what a wild banana looks like:

WindsorHL3
Then why not cut it one shorter and say noone created the universe.

P.S. I liked your argument against my original point I didn't agree with it but it was a good rebuttle.

Reply 57
atypicalsurreygirl
Of course you believe what you grow up being taught to believe. But your post doesn't account for religious converts, for instance, my friend converted from Catholicism to Judaism, despite coming from a Catholic family.

I really don't think your argument is an argument against religion at all. Faith is faith is faith, regardless of who you believe in, or what your family teaches you.

what?? since when could you convert to Judaism??

they claim they are the superiour race, and that your mother has to be Jewish for you to be jewish so i dont know how your friend "converted"..
Larriant
Most atheists are born into atheistic families. Does that disprove atheism?

Their not.

Also, this is probably one of the weakest arguments against religion.
SahilB91
Go read Harry Potter.

Just because something is written in a book cannot be the basis of the existence of God.

Watch that video it has all the answers to your questions
Regarding the existence of God, I cannot make any theories but i do know no one created God as I have quoted before