The Student Room Group

Portfolio's/Showreel's - Not having one :|

I am planning to apply to TV/Film Production and recently found out, for Sheffield Hallam at least i am guessing others as well, that i need a Portfolio or a Showreel for the interview process, however i have neither :/
I have been involved in my local drama group for 8 years + and helped out with school productions, we made a few films at my local drama club but nothing we were given in physical form, i have included all of this in my personal statement. However, i just don't have a portfolio or Showreel that they say i need for the interview process, am i basically screwed for not having one? :/ :frown:
Reply 1
You really do need something down on paper - don't your local drama club have a copy? Or would they give you a reference? Perhaps you could build something up now and take it along to the interview?
Reply 2
I agree with the person above. Get a refrence if you can and start building asap.

I have a similar problem - I don't have much of a showreel. I am planning on filming something soon but it won't be much but basically i'm hoping to make it up by including things like photography work, plot ideas, storyboards, drama written work (scripts, theatre reviews) some places also like book reviews...
If you study Drama or English definetly use something from that especially if the course has a good percentage of theory work.

You should have enough time to gather some photography work or do a few reviews. if you have friends who can help you do this definetly ask them :biggrin:

You mentioned you'd made films in groups... If you can get a copy of them that would be great. you could then explain in the interview how you worked in a group, what went wrong how you solved it, what went good that kind of stuff :smile:

good luck!
Reply 3
Quick question to add to this: What 'format' should a showreel be in? I have a feeling that I've seen or heard somewhere (at the Bournemouth Uni open day or on a uni webstire) they said that a YouTube profile would be good? Is that true or is it just my memory playing tricks on me and in actual fact I need to make like a DVD or something?

Latest

Trending

Trending