The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Book
I know it's a chiche (and yes I do love quoting them...), but you don't magically become an adult once you turn 18. I'd understand if you dont agree with me now, but eventually it will click. - Maybe when 30, maybe 40, but trust me, click it will. Looks are just that. Simple appearances, and do not correlate with the reality of personality. In my opinion, the ONLY thing which matters in the long run is your honesty and relability. - e.g. would I trust you to look after my children if I have to go out for a day (hipothetically)? or Do I trust your judgment and fairness enough to take your advise for a difficult situation? I know I've yet to earn this level of trust with most people, but loads of people I know have lots of respect for my dad, but that's another story...

For now, just use your exzema as a filter, to clean out all the guys who only want you for your appearance. Love from... (Was going to write "Book" but it seems so rediculus as it's not my real name.)

Book,

Have you ever had eczema? It's not just about the way it makes the skin look - it is also very uncomfortable and itchy, and can be downright painful. That's what this thread is about. Just because sufferers are looking for a cure doesn't mean they are obsessed with their looks. Again, personality has nothing to do with it - we are discussing a medical ailment.
Reply 21
tammy_girl
I am sorry, but personally I find that quote particulary insulting, its a skin disease yes but to remark that she looks as red as traffic lights isnt the way to go, i'm sorry if you were making another point across, but it is highly insulting to people who have rosecea(sp...), dermatitis, Ezcema, Psoriasis or Vitiligo - its a skin disease yes but it can hold a lot more than that such as mental disorders resolving from having the disease and also other medical disorders such as overuse with steroids causing blood vessels to dilate, bone thinning and can bring about depression to a sufferer. All I'm saying is change your wording as its hard enough to look at it without others making comments of it. I'm sure you wouldnt say that to your friends face about her looking like traffic lights xoxo

I would, because she's really at ease with it. I really do regret using that simillie if it offends you, but I (at the time) could not think of any other better way of describing it. Sorry again.
Reply 22
Book
My post is in my opinion relevelt as it somewhat negates the quetion. I appologise if you find it patronising though. Cheers

How does it negate the question? Should eczema sufferers just put up with it because "personality is all that matters"?
Book
I would, because she's really at ease with it. I really do regret using that simillie if it offends you, but I (at the time) could not think of any other better way of describing it. Sorry again.

It's k I just wanted to point out that a simile like that can affect people even if it was an innocent thought xoxo
Reply 24
It dosen't, it "somewhat" negates the question. Cheers
lol hey since we have a good many sufferers who attend this site we should make a society (its only a thought) lol! :p: xoxo
Reply 26
maybe.. bit of a random idea... it would like we are proud of it, and i'm really not.

i'm ignoring book - i wanted advice on treatments, preventions and cures etc.. not someone telling me personality is more important. that's the case with all visual and physical ailments, but it doesnt stop people being bothered by them.
Jenna999
maybe.. bit of a random idea... it would like we are proud of it, and i'm really not.

i'm ignoring book - i wanted advice on treatments, preventions and cures etc.. not someone telling me personality is more important. that's the case with all visual and physical ailments, but it doesnt stop people being bothered by them.

i know what ya mean....not many people are prous to show it off, ive only learned to because I know myself my Psoriasis is never going to go away - its an auto-immune disease and the causes are still unknown :frown: but got a website for anyone who wants to be more informed about Eczema Click here xoxo
Reply 28
Jenna999
what the hell are you banging on about? no offence, i appreciate you trying to help but... 'using my eczema as a filter?' its not all about how others perceive it. ihave a very understanding boyfriend. its about how it makes ME feel, how i think it looks etc. because i want to look nice, for my own benefit, not covered in blotches. I want to feel more confident. and believe me, if i still have it when i'm 30 i'll still feel the same.

Again, I don't mean to offend anyone, but I don't see any reason why ecezma should affect your confidence levels if you don't care what other people think of it. Cheers.
Reply 29
because if i look good i feel good about myself.and that makes me happier. im not saying i dont care to a certain extent abot what people think, i care more about how it makes me feel ugly and not very good about myself.
Book
Again, I don't mean to offend anyone, but I don't see any reason why ecezma should affect your confidence levels if you don't care what other people think of it. Cheers.

it affects confidence because people stare and are completely ignorant to the problem....example...

in a sandwich bar a person who has eczema is about to serve you, you notice the red markings what would you do? ask for another person to cater to you? ask for just a coffee or lastly allow them to get on with their job....afterwards to do complain to the manager? check the food for flakes?

ignorance about skin diseases are dramatically overlooked and this shouldnt be the case, people should be taught about it at least basic knowledge that you cannot catch it xoxo
Reply 31
Jenna999
because if i look good i feel good about myself.and that makes me happier. im not saying i dont care to a certain extent abot what people think, i care more about how it makes me feel ugly and not very good about myself.

Why don't you just feel good about yourself anyway? You know you are "good" (or much better...), just change you'r perception of yourself.

If anything good has come out of this, I guess its that you're admitting that your appearance is a noteworthy factor. This is what you need to overcome. - Or next time, if its not your exzema, It'll be your weight, your breasts...

Again, I'm sorry for the people I've offended. If you don't think my comments on this forum are constructive/ widen the question or debate then please say so (honestly). I wont be offended. Cheers.
Reply 32
Book
Why don't you just feel good about yourself anyway? You know you are "good" (or much better...), just change you'r perception of yourself.

If anything good has come out of this, I guess its that you're admitting that your appearance is a noteworthy factor. This is what you need to overcome. - Or next time, if its not your exzema, It'll be your weight, your breasts...

Again, I'm sorry for the people I've offended. If you don't think my comments on this forum are constructive/ widen the question or debate then please say so (honestly). I wont be offended. Cheers.

i find it amusing that you're making these assumptions even though you know absolutely nothing about me!

i cant just suddenly think 'right, i dont care about this anymore.' everyone has hang ups about themselves. its just part of life.

and being honest... i dont think your comments are constructive - sorry! I havent read any other of your posts but in this thread they are completley useless... sorry.
Book

ya see book the problem is people being igorant to the condition, sure in times of Jesus - people who were 'apparently' suffering from leprosy were actually Psoriasis, Dermatitus and Eczema sufferers ... there are some websites such as UK Psoriasis help - which hold forums for people who have skin conditions and you are learning about new treatments all the time and you can post how your progression with it, and they understand which is the main point xoxo
Reply 34
Jenna999
i find it amusing that you're making these assumptions even though you know absolutely nothing about me!

i cant just suddenly think 'right, i dont care about this anymore.' everyone has hang ups about themselves. its just part of life.

and being honest... i dont think your comments are constructive - sorry! I havent read any other of your posts but in this thread they are completley useless... sorry.

No need to appologise, it's good to get feed back, I'm sorry I've been unable to help you. Im sure others will though... Good luck!
Reply 35
and also, this is an actual medical condition. its not just purely an appearance thing, like some things people have hangs up about (weight, breasts etc.) It needs treatment. Its itchy, sore and uncomfortable. It can get infected. When i was 13 my weeping foot got infected and led to cellulitis, something people used to die of (basically poison in the blood that leads to swelling, and i had to keep my foot in the air to let the poison drain, if it reached my lungs or heart i would have died).

It needs attention, tleling people to focus on their personality is not going to help!
Reply 36
have you tried/considered homeopathic treatment. as a baby i was COVERED in eczema, literally everywhere on my body. this continued as a young child and the traditional medicines managed to help slightly but with little results to show. then my parenst turned to homeopathy...the result? a year later i had literally no eczema and its never returned since.
Reply 37
You could try cutting out artificial colours, I did that when mine was really bad and at the time it seemed to work. In retrospect it might just have been because my exams finished at about the same time so I was much less stressed. Might be worth a try though because it's not like theres anything nutritionally valuable in artificial colours anyway so it couldnn't do any harm. Citrus fruits and dairy and supposed to make eczema worse too but it might be a bit harder to cut dairy out.
Reply 38
I’ve had it all my life. Some times it’s worse then others. Right on it’s fine if I put cream on 2 times a day and every time I get out the bath or shower. But about 3 yrs ago it went awful. It was all over me and it got infected. I just to get to the point were I couldn’t stop scratching then it bleed and I’d have to be taken out my lesson. I’d go to the doctors and they prescribe me creams etc but it just wouldn’t go. After a while of my mum covering me with cream from head to toe, everyday for about 4 months it started to get better. Some of it scared but it’s pretty much gone now. A lot of the time it can be down to food. Also if you shower too much it washes way your natural skin oil things that protect it.
Reply 39
Jenna, are you sure you've been cutting out wheat completely? It can be "hidden" in a lot of places under a variety of names, such as rusk, maltodetrin and loads of others. It's especially in ready meals, sauces (both the pasta type and the salad dressing type), crisps, cous cous etc. PM me if you want any advice on avaoidind it, as I'm almost an expert!

Latest

Trending

Trending