The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
halbeth
God's existence is something that should be assumed untrue and then proved otherwise, rather than the reverse.

This. I don't believe that science made something out of nothing either, but I see theism in general to be using a god as an answer to questions that we can never answer.
Reply 41
HearTheThunder
You clearly have a profound lack of knowledge of physics.

says the guy with a history degree and only possibly A2 physics knowledge
Reply 42
jwright91
Well after a quick visit to wikipedia I guess I'm an agnostic theist, as I have never ruled out the possibilty of god, and never will.

Do you believe that god exists?
baba_moon
I think even god will forgive up to a point and then be like "that's it, i'm gonna teach you the hard way"

Benevolent = All-loving.

Up to a point= not all loving.
Reply 44
I don't know what I believe.
If I pray for something, it usually get's answered in a direct or indirect way. But then again I'm sceptical about whether the same thing would have happened if I didn't ask for it...and even if there was something there, who's to say it's an all-knowing, loving supreme being? It could be anything ranging from a guardian angel, ghosts or just fate/good fortune.
It's really all very ambiguous which is why I just take everything as it comes, and don't follow a strict set of rules.
Because I don't want to be tied down.

/cliche
Reply 46
CookieArun
Who do atheisst believe created them? The galaxies and worlds didn't just appear out of nowhere and suddenly humans appeared and multiplied by the tens, hundreds and thousands etc..

Well, thats the general consensus among the scientific community. I was not aware a degree in theology involves advanced physics. :confused:
Reply 47
CookieArun
Who do the religious believe created their God(s)? They didn't just appear out of nowhere and suddenly humans appeared and multiplied by the tens, hundreds and thousands etc..

Fixed.
Reply 48
i don't care if god exists or not, i'm not going to worship "him".
i'm going to try and lead a good and moral life, and if god does exist, and he is benevolent, i'll go to heaven.
if i end up in hell, i'll be glad i didn't waste my life blindly worshipping a malicious god. :yep:

also, organised religion is the opium of the masses, and i don't take drugs. :cool:
much.. :rolleyes:
Reply 49
CyclopsRock
I would imagine that many people see science and physicality as a default, since it's largely undeniable and totally tangible. As such, the question - for them - isn't why they are atheists, but why others are religions. It is, afterall, religion that requires unprovable, unanswerable faith.

halbeth
Why are others religious?

God's existence is something that should be assumed untrue and then proved otherwise, rather than the reverse.

This is why I am an atheist. If you assert that a given hypothesis is true (e.g. "God exists" ) it is up to you to prove it, it is not up to me to disprove it.
Reply 50
BJack
Do you believe that god exists?

I believe in the possibility that god could exist, no more no less.
baba_moon
says the guy with a history degree and only possibly A2 physics knowledge

Says the person who doesn't actually have any proof for their beliefs. :/
Religion was not sufficiently impressed upon me as a child.

Same reason why (most of) the theists on here don't believe in Zeus. Or Ra. I'm just taking it one religion further.

Also: I don't think a reasonable God (who wants to be acknowledged and worshiped as is the gist in most monotheistic faiths) would allow so many people to come to the unbiased logical conclusion that he doesn't exist.
jwright91
Well after a quick visit to wikipedia I guess I'm an agnostic theist, as I have never ruled out the possibilty of god, and never will.

Arrrgh. Your misunderstanding of atheism mildly angers me. No reasonable atheist will ever out right deny the possibility of there existing a god. We can never deny the existence of anything as a possibility, but it is up to our logical mind to sensibly rule out the improbable theories. Once again I refer you to Bertrand Russell's Celestial Teapot analogy. You cannot disprove the existence of an invisible Teapot orbiting the moon, this does not mean that it exists... neither does it mean that it does not exist.
It is the responsibility of scientists and logical thinkers alike to PROVE the existence of sensible and probable theories, rather than to DISPROVE the existence of every single crack pot theory ever created by mankind.
Reply 54
CookieArun
Because they have no respect for there creators and will be disowned when they die..

Plural?
Reply 55
baba_moon
cos if he did, selfish egoistic people like you and many others would worship him all day and do no work and the world would cease to go round cos people only think about themselves, their next bread and their future.

:facepalm:
Reply 56
More stolen quotes plz
Orihime
Plural?

As I said before.. some religions have more than one God/creator.
Reply 58
CookieArun
Atheists go to hell.

Based on what evidence?
We've heard the story before, no need for attacks and preachments.

I am realistic; Atheism suits my lifestyle. I follow my morals and the legal system within society rather than a 'holy' book.
Reply 59
Jofro
Based on what evidence?
We've heard the story before, no need for attacks and preachments.

I am realistic; Atheism suits my lifestyle. I follow my morals and the legal system within society rather than a 'holy' book.

So you're an atheist because it's easy to be so (or at least that's what your post implies). In which case people's lifestyles should be the basis of their religion not the other way around - how it should be: religion before anything else.