The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
y'cld ask mousey.. she's applied for english at notts for the '05 intake..
she'll come ard here soon, not to worry..

notts is a fantastic place, i havent been there myself.. but its reputation preceedes it..
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi Wilgina! The Notts English course looks fantastic, if your friends want to ask me any questions feel free to pm me or post on here, not that i'm there yet but i do know quite a bit about the course.

My boyfriend applied there for French and History and he seemed very impressed by the French, although the History bit swung him to Durham. Notts is his insurance though. I can't really tell you about any of the specifics for French, have you had a look at the website? Seen the modules they offer?

Well Nottingham has quite varied Halls of res, there are 12 main halls on campus which are self catering. When you apply you can't specify a hall, just the fact you want one on University Campus. Within the halls there are individual bars and common rooms, and halls have individual sports teams too. I saw inside a hall called Hugh Stewart when i visited and the rooms seemed clean, to be a decent size and fairly well equipped. However sizes etc differ between the halls and room types.

There are 3 areas of self catered flats, know as Broadgate Park, Raleigh Park and St Peter's court. I don't know much about these as i applied for catered, but Broadgate park is nearest to the main campus.

There is also another campus where you could stay called Jubilee. This is mainly filled with ppl taking business type subjects as this is where their lectures are. However there are other students here who were attracted to it by the rooms being modern and en suite (even though they are expensive)

I was really impressed with Notts when i saw it. The gorgeous green campus accompanied by a vibrant city really appealed to me. Plus there seems to be a lot you can get involved in at Notts if that's your thing.

Feel free to ask questions, i'm sure current students such as Rah2, Chemist Boy and Frances will be able to provide more info than me though. xx
Reply 3
wilgina
Hi, I went to a Nottingham open day today, and was just wondering if anyone else went and what they thought of it? We spoke to an English student there and he was really enthusiastic about the subject, so my friends are considering taking the course, but I didn't seem to find out much about French, which was the main reason I went. Wasn't too sure about the halls of residence either.... Anyway, any thoughts?

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
i went there as well. the campus is fanscinating,I will TAKE accounting and finance next year, i applied broadgate for my resident hall, it is the most convenient one as i think.
Reply 4
Here is a link to take a look at some of the halls xx

http://cgi.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/360/students/university/
Reply 5
Thanks for all your help mousey! The man that showed us round the self catering bits was funny. I was looking at the map to see where we were and he kept asking where I wanted to be and if I was lost. It was a good day out though, we came from Bradford so it was 2 hours there and 2 hours back. I think I'll go and have another look in October.
Reply 6
That's ok. It might be nice for you to go again, if you still like the look of it in the cold and rain it's probably a good choice. I would recommend you really research your course though, and maybe take a visit into the City. xx
Reply 7
My friend does french and history...

Why weren't you sure about the halls?
Reply 8
Hey all ,
I went to the open day today also :smile:
Didn't get to see much of the accomodation either which was the main reason i went LOL
tell me:
Can you get self-catering on University Park, if so how do you put it down on the application , i really should send it in tomorrow :redface:

Oh and I almost got locked in the castle grounds muhahaha :redface: :redface:
Reply 9
You can't be self catered on University Park. Check the link i posted above to get a feel for what the accommodation is like.

Are you coming in 2005 then? What are you going to be studying? xx
Reply 10
And you can apply online you know, it's really easy.

http://winster.nottingham.ac.uk/accomapp/default_all.asp?
Reply 11
I am just about to confirm my firm choice now :reddy:
That sux because i want a place in uni park, and i sometimes only have a coffee for breakfast :frown: i feel a special dietry requiment letter forming ,hehe just kidding.
I guess ill just have to put up with it for a year :rolleyes:
Oh and my course is Russian *gulp* Portuguese would have been so much easier, i will have to study hard i feel. But it is worth it to come to Nottingham :smile:
Reply 12
I take it you're an international if you're just confirming now? Where are you from? Russian would be fun to learn i think, not that i'm any good with languages. But their literature is supposed to be good, and you could read it how it was supposed to be read.

Uni Park seems to me to be the place to be, good choice! And you really should eat more for breakfast. xx
Reply 13
Nah i live in Merseyside but i changed some courses and that extended my deadline. Not necessarily a good thing though.

Sometimes i have 2 cups :wink:

Most probably it is because i get up so late i dont have much time.
Reply 14
Thats it. My choices have been sent off, there's no turningback now :eek:
Mousey?, hold me *shivers with worry*
Reply 15
lol why are you worried? And what's your real name? Call me YJ or Yvonne. What choices did you make? I went for uni park single bedroom,shared bathroom. I can't wait to find out what halls we have all been put in. xx
Reply 16
mousey
I take it you're an international if you're just confirming now? Where are you from? Russian would be fun to learn i think, not that i'm any good with languages. But their literature is supposed to be good, and you could read it how it was supposed to be read.

Uni Park seems to me to be the place to be, good choice! And you really should eat more for breakfast. xx

I never truly understood what on earth people meant by "you can read it how it's meant to be read" - for some reason saying that just really annoys me cus when I learnt it (ok only for two terms) it was just SO I dunno! Yeh I didn't enjoy Russian very much - not sure if it's just the influence of completely crappy lessons though, and the fact that I learnt nothing, got a cert for it that doesn't even mean a thing and generally the lessons (not the language mind) is a waste of time :mad:

Oh and Connery - don't worry I don't eat breakfast either :biggrin: I just don't like eating in the morning - I don't usually go hungry until about 2 hours into the day after waking up :smile: which is sorta why I've wondered what I'm gonna do about breakfast at Notts... don't wanna waste the money - I'll probably go for breakfast but something tells me I'll sooner sleep til the last minute before I have to get up for my lecture than go get breakfast :biggrin:
Reply 17
haha oh you people.. learn to cook!
inititative, children!
I love cooking...pasta :biggrin:
Reply 19
I love breakfast, we're prob gna get oooo english breakfast or cereal or cake or sumthin...yummy! Its the evening meals im worried bout coz im such a fussy eater, i barely eat any meat, i dont eat fish, i dont eat chips...*sigh* im gna go hungry!

Latest

Trending

Trending