The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
adamrules247
Goose Green was a battle in the Falkland War. The commander of the forces Lt/Col. H. Jones had been gunned down and it had fallen to his Junior Maj Chris Keeble to lead to the outnumbered and out gunned troops who were fast running out of amunition and were vunerable as the enemy could easily be reinforced.

At this point in the battle one in six of all British troops had been killed and Keeble needing guidance went and prayed in some burning heather.

He said he suddenly recieved guidence and he walked out into the field to speak to the Argentine commander. He asked him to surrender to stop anymore deaths and made reference to their comman faith. Keeble llater found out he had been walking through a mine field with the Argentine commander.

The argentines surrendered and the British captured several thousands of prisoners who out numbered them 3 to one (or something like that).

There is evidence of existance in several ways.

1. Keeble's sudden inspiration after prayer.
2. The fact he walked through the field without getting harmed
3. The fact that he walked through a heavily laden mine field without getting blown up.
4. The fact that the argentines surrendered.

I just want to point out I do actually believe in evolution. I am also a Christian as well (shock horror)

Clearly then God is British.
WindsorHL3
Clearly then God is British.

No. Clearly God worked to stop so many people getting killed and favoured the British because they were defending an island of people who didn't want to be part of a dictatorship.
adamrules247
Goose Green was a battle in the Falkland War. The commander of the forces Lt/Col. H. Jones had been gunned down and it had fallen to his Junior Maj Chris Keeble to lead to the outnumbered and out gunned troops who were fast running out of amunition and were vunerable as the enemy could easily be reinforced.

At this point in the battle one in six of all British troops had been killed and Keeble needing guidance went and prayed in some burning heather.

He said he suddenly recieved guidence and he walked out into the field to speak to the Argentine commander. He asked him to surrender to stop anymore deaths and made reference to their comman faith. Keeble llater found out he had been walking through a mine field with the Argentine commander.

The argentines surrendered and the British captured several thousands of prisoners who out numbered them 3 to one (or something like that).

There is evidence of existance in several ways.

1. Keeble's sudden inspiration after prayer.
2. The fact he walked through the field without getting harmed
3. The fact that he walked through a heavily laden mine field without getting blown up.
4. The fact that the argentines surrendered.

I just want to point out I do actually believe in evolution. I am also a Christian as well (shock horror)

Ah okay. While I disagree with your interpretation of those events, I don't think I can offer any arguments that in the end won't simplify to coincidence. And I don't think you'd accept that, and I wouldn't accept your view either.

Also since the thread is about evolution I wouldn't really want to derail it too much. Also I'm lazy and don't want to make a counter point. So I'll concede this one to you.

/retreat

:vroam:
Reply 83
adamrules247
No. Clearly God worked to stop so many people getting killed and favoured the British because they were defending an island of people who didn't want to be part of a dictatorship.

So why did God allow Hitler to kill loads of jews in the holocaust. Why hasn't this middle eastern dispute been solved. Why do british soldiers die if the british view of democracy is correct and God supports them.

P.S for thread starter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvrm9E4fUGQ you'll love him :biggrin:
WindsorHL3
So why did God allow Hitler to kill loads of jews in the holocaust. Why hasn't this middle eastern dispute been solved. Why do british soldiers die if the british view of democracy is correct and God supports them.

P.S for thread starter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvrm9E4fUGQ you'll love him :biggrin:

Cause they were Jewish.

or

Maybe no one asked him and really meant it.
Reply 85
Relevant information:

Examples of observed speciation: http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-speciation.html

Good summation of what a 'scientific theory' actually means: http://www.notjustatheory.com/
adamrules247
Cause they were Jewish.

or

Maybe no one asked him and really meant it.

Oi, why the hell would I love him... Irony! I do believe in the big bang theory, dinosaurs but I don't believe the earth is 5 or 6000 years old or in the theory of evolution. I believe its a possibility but I created this thread so that people will stop saying its a fact, when its not.
Reply 87
Gravity exists because masses displace space-time.

Go Einstein :smile:
Reply 88
Evolution is both a fact and theory: the changes are fact, but the explanation is a theory. Nevertheless it's theory with a mountain of evidence.
Reply 89
King-Panther
Oi, why the hell would I love him... Irony! I do believe in the big bang theory, dinosaurs but I don't believe the earth is 5 or 6000 years old or in the theory of evolution. I believe its a possibility but I created this thread so that people will stop saying its a fact, when its not.

It is fact.:yep:

P.S. It's quite funny that you don't realise that Edward Current is satirising creationists and their arguments and in fact believes in evolution.
King-Panther
Why?

Because you will be able to vote.
Reply 91
It's hilarious that people think that they can demolish evolution by saying that it's 'just a theory'. They fail to recognise that words can have more than one meaning, and also can't be bothered to do research into the topic they are trying to devalue. If you know nothing about evolution then how do you expect that you can present arguments against it? It's like me trying to give arguments on the political history of Argentina (which I know nothing about).
Reply 92
doivid
Gravity exists because masses displace space-time.

Go Einstein :smile:

Isn't it that gravity distorts space-time, not displace. :confused:
Reply 93
King-Panther

Oh dear, this is getting annoying, evolution (the change of one species into another via genetic mutation) is a fact, a law that has been directly observed, in laboratory, and non-laboratory conditions, we know it to exist just as much as we know gravity or light exist.

Darwins theory of evolution is just that, a theory which uses this fact and others like it, to try and explain where all life came from, it represents the current scientific best view of how life came about in it's present diversity and as such has all of the work of centuries of experimentation backing it up, theories are powerful, incredibly so because the predictions they make have always came true. This has happened, and continues to happen as all over the world new species of pest evolve that are resistant to pesticides, new bacteria evolve to beat antibiotics. Hence we treat it as fact, because even though it can never be proven, by definition, it works perfectly.
Reply 94
SahilB91
Isn't it that gravity distorts space-time, not displace. :confused:

I'm sure it's displace, although I'm not a theoretical physicist.
Reply 95
Neither, Inertia (mass) displaces space-time, gravity is a property of the resulting distortion.
Reply 96
This is why I can't do science lol. Even though I'm good at it and enjoy it, all my life works could just be false lol. English for me :smile: Making stuff up is better :biggrin:
S_123
This is why I can't do science lol. Even though I'm good at it and enjoy it, all my life works could just be false lol. English for me :smile: Making stuff up is better :biggrin:

Well, if you like making stuff up, an evolution theorist would suit you to a T!
Reply 98
Gravity is a theory!

Now then, would you like to jump off the Eiffel Tower?
Reply 99
theBOON

I know its a joke, but still like to point out that neandrathals are NOT pre-ancestors of modern humans, rather they are just an extinct european race of human.

And once again there are many missing links that debunk the theory that man and chimpanzee share a common ancestor.

But whatever a scientist says 'I do not share the same great grandfather of my neigbour's dog or the fly that flew in my window, nor the virus that gave me a cold.'

Latest

Trending

Trending