The Student Room Group

Physiotherapy Interviews 09/10

I've been scrounging the internet all afternoon looking for anything that could help me with regards to my upcoming interview for MMU on 25th November.

Has anyone else had an interview yet? Other than general questions, are there any other tests/procedures thrust upon us?

Clare

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ClazzaCUTZ
I've been scrounging the internet all afternoon looking for anything that could help me with regards to my upcoming interview for MMU on 25th November.

Has anyone else had an interview yet? Other than general questions, are there any other tests/procedures thrust upon us?

Clare

I had a physio interview for MMU last year.
It was quite informal, there were 2 interviewers in someones office. They just chatted to you about why you wanted to be a physio, what you knew about physio, what skills you have to make you a good physio etc. Very general, and they were really really nice!
Reply 2
Thanks! Was it a group interview? I got my "information pack" today and it seems like it's a mini open-afternoon for physio, yet it didn't specify if it was a group interview or not...
Reply 3
ClazzaCUTZ
Thanks! Was it a group interview? I got my "information pack" today and it seems like it's a mini open-afternoon for physio, yet it didn't specify if it was a group interview or not...

We had a talk in a lecture theatre, then a tour (parents/ friends could join for this). The tour included the health building and a halls nearby.
Then we had our single interviews, where it was just you and 2 tutors.
I think I was there for about 3 hours or so.
Reply 4
djk_99
We had a talk in a lecture theatre, then a tour (parents/ friends could join for this). The tour included the health building and a halls nearby.
Then we had our single interviews, where it was just you and 2 tutors.
I think I was there for about 3 hours or so.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I'm trying to get an idea of timing with regards to booking flights! The invitation said 12.45, so I'm assuming it'll be finished around half 3, hopefully...were there many people there?
Reply 5
ClazzaCUTZ
Sorry to ask so many questions, but I'm trying to get an idea of timing with regards to booking flights! The invitation said 12.45, so I'm assuming it'll be finished around half 3, hopefully...were there many people there?

Um... maybe about 15 people to be interviewed, plus friends and family!
If you want to be extra sure, give them a ring or email them and say that you're trying to book flights, then hopefully they will schedule your interview first!!
Reply 6
So, interview is at 1.30pm on Wednesday. Got ma little portfolio all organised with questions and info to talk about. Mother isn't happy I'm going on my own, c'est la vie.
As excited as I am nervous...will post entire experience here if I have time on Wednesday night after the drive back from the airport.
Clare xxx
Reply 7
Iv got my Interview next week! please could you post details of what they asked you etc? Also, sounds silly but let me know what people wear! I dont know how formal they expect girls to go :s-smilie: Thanks x
Reply 8
sgcc
Iv got my Interview next week! please could you post details of what they asked you etc? Also, sounds silly but let me know what people wear! I dont know how formal they expect girls to go :s-smilie: Thanks x

Most people err on the side of caution and wear some smart trousers/ skirt and a shirt/ nice top. A suit isn't usually necessary unless they ask you to dress formally.
They're probably not too bothered anyway- they want to get to know you, and you're going to spend the next 3 years in trackkie bottoms and hoodies anyway!
Reply 9
ClazzaCUTZ
So, interview is at 1.30pm on Wednesday. Got ma little portfolio all organised with questions and info to talk about. Mother isn't happy I'm going on my own, c'est la vie.
As excited as I am nervous...will post entire experience here if I have time on Wednesday night after the drive back from the airport.
Clare xxx

Good luck!!
Reply 10
sgcc

No problem! What are you applying for?

Also, can anyone think of any good questions to ask at the end? So far I've thought of:

Do you think I am the type of applicant you would consider for this course?

Do you find that a lot of your Physiotherapy students play sport? If so, are they mainly interested in Sports Medicine upon graduation?

Are the lecture notes available online?

The Physiotherapy course has been described by first year students as being a strict 9-5 timetable. Do you agree with this?

When are students assessed? At the end of each semester or the end of each academic year?

What type of students do you think Manchester Metropolitan attracts?

On average, how many applicants do you have per place? / What per centage of applicants do you interview?

What is the average drop-out rate for Physio?

What is the male:female ratio for Physio?

There has been ongoing speculation about a so called Jobs Crisis for a few years now. I read a newspaper article recently where a member of your Physio Department stated that physios were "in demand". What is your graduate employment rate for Physio?

What developments do you see in Physiotherapy in the future?

What role do you think complementary therapies such as acupuncture have in physiotherapy?

I read an article recently about physiotherapists being recommended to be given prescribing rights - I was unsure of what this meant. Does it mean that private physios will be able to prescribe certain pain relief medications or will it also account for those working within the NHS?

Any others would be greatly appreciated :o:
Reply 11
djk_99

They're probably not too bothered anyway- they want to get to know you, and you're going to spend the next 3 years in trackkie bottoms and hoodies anyway!

:lol: That made me chuckle because it's true.
And thanks for your help :o:
Reply 12
ClazzaCUTZ
No problem! What are you applying for?

Also, can anyone think of any good questions to ask at the end? So far I've thought of:

Do you think I am the type of applicant you would consider for this course?

Do you find that a lot of your Physiotherapy students play sport? If so, are they mainly interested in Sports Medicine upon graduation?

Are the lecture notes available online?

The Physiotherapy course has been described by first year students as being a strict 9-5 timetable. Do you agree with this?

When are students assessed? At the end of each semester or the end of each academic year?

What type of students do you think Manchester Metropolitan attracts?

On average, how many applicants do you have per place? / What per centage of applicants do you interview?

What is the average drop-out rate for Physio?

What is the male:female ratio for Physio?

There has been ongoing speculation about a so called Jobs Crisis for a few years now. I read a newspaper article recently where a member of your Physio Department stated that physios were "in demand". What is your graduate employment rate for Physio?

What developments do you see in Physiotherapy in the future?

What role do you think complementary therapies such as acupuncture have in physiotherapy?

I read an article recently about physiotherapists being recommended to be given prescribing rights - I was unsure of what this meant. Does it mean that private physios will be able to prescribe certain pain relief medications or will it also account for those working within the NHS?

Any others would be greatly appreciated :o:

Good questions, especially about the job crisis.
They might address a few of those in the presentation at the beginning, such as the timetable or assessment. You might like to ask those to the current students too.
If you want to do sports physio on graduation- don't go on about this at interview!! The NHS pay for your course, therefore they want physios to stay in the NHS at the end of the course!
Reply 13
I would be wary about a lot of these questions. Take for instance the job crisis question. This is something that you should have researched before the interview, and be fully aware of as part of you looking into why you have chosen to be a physio. If someone asked me this, I would be thinking hang on a minute, has this person really looked into the career if they are asking me something that they can quite easily find out through other resources? This is knowledge that you should demonstrate in the interview itself - a quick search on CSP gives you the answer, all be it 4 years outdated, but you get the idea...

http://www.csp.org.uk/search/result.cfm?item_ID=C934FCD10E42002787E6E9C47FBA0746&module=news&cat=837AC15007128018EB6C4134AFE1D4BD

Take the last question about prescribing rights. Again, why do you not know?

A lot of the questions at the top are very wishy washy, and I again would be a bit cautious about asking them. Do you think I am the right candidate for this course? Well you'll find out in a month or so. What is the average drop out rate for physio? Why would you care, are you thinking of dropping out?

In short, I would only ask questions that you are genuinely interested in knowing the answers to. Don't think that you have to ask them just to try and sound knowledgeable, or because the interviewers will be expecting it. At the end of my two interviews last year, when asked if I had any questions, I said something along the lines of no thankyou, I have researched the area thoroughly. Here I am a year later in my first year of physio. Why risk saying something stupid for no gain?
Reply 14
With regards as to what to wear for interview, I would without a doubt say suit for both the ladies and the men. Yeah there will probably be the odd person here and there who turned up in jeans and got a place, but why not create that first impression. A suit/business attire says here I am and I mean business. If in any doubt go posh and if you end up overdressed it isn't going to count against you. From memory, everyone at the interviews I went to was dressed for a day in a London law firm if you get my drift
I also have an interview for man met tomorrow! im so so so nervous and am really not prepared :/

ah well! ahha will let you all know how i get on!
Reply 16
Ironmike
I would be wary about a lot of these questions. Take for instance the job crisis question. This is something that you should have researched before the interview, and be fully aware of as part of you looking into why you have chosen to be a physio. If someone asked me this, I would be thinking hang on a minute, has this person really looked into the career if they are asking me something that they can quite easily find out through other resources? This is knowledge that you should demonstrate in the interview itself - a quick search on CSP gives you the answer, all be it 4 years outdated, but you get the idea...

http://www.csp.org.uk/search/result.cfm?item_ID=C934FCD10E42002787E6E9C47FBA0746&module=news&cat=837AC15007128018EB6C4134AFE1D4BD

Take the last question about prescribing rights. Again, why do you not know?

A lot of the questions at the top are very wishy washy, and I again would be a bit cautious about asking them. Do you think I am the right candidate for this course? Well you'll find out in a month or so. What is the average drop out rate for physio? Why would you care, are you thinking of dropping out?

In short, I would only ask questions that you are genuinely interested in knowing the answers to. Don't think that you have to ask them just to try and sound knowledgeable, or because the interviewers will be expecting it. At the end of my two interviews last year, when asked if I had any questions, I said something along the lines of no thankyou, I have researched the area thoroughly. Here I am a year later in my first year of physio. Why risk saying something stupid for no gain?

I don't think there are any problems in researching areas of physio, then asking further questions on it. Being aware of things like the job crisis and prescribing rights shows that you have done some research as things like that aren't really publicised! As long as you say 'I've found [insert research], what is your opinion on it?', I don't see a problem. You're just asking the experts opinion. It's always good to have a question or two just to show that you are interested.
Reply 17
I'm just not sure there is any worth in going in there with a set of pre-rehearsed questions that you really have no interest in. I would try to work things like that into the actual interview, and then maybe if you feel you want to, ask more university orientated things at the end. I guess it's your interview, so do what you feel comfortable with, but certainly don't think that not asking questions will count against you.
Hi
I'm applying to physio for 2010 to Nottingham, Bournemouth, Brighton, Sheffield Hallam and York SJ.
I've had interviews for Brighton and Bournemouth, one was a group and the other a one on one.
I've got interviews for Sheffield and York in the next 2 weeks, anyone had theres for there yet...what are they like??
Anyone wanting to know about Brighton and Bournemouth message me and I'll fill you in on what goes on.
Reply 19
meggie-lou_x
Hi
I'm applying to physio for 2010 to Nottingham, Bournemouth, Brighton, Sheffield Hallam and York SJ.
I've had interviews for Brighton and Bournemouth, one was a group and the other a one on one.
I've got interviews for Sheffield and York in the next 2 weeks, anyone had theres for there yet...what are they like??
Anyone wanting to know about Brighton and Bournemouth message me and I'll fill you in on what goes on.

Hi I've got an interview at brighton in 2 weeks what happens?!

Quick Reply

Latest