The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I think, but I'm not sure, that 'Il' refers to something that is yet to be mentioned, ie. Il est facile de nager. 'Ce' refers back to something, so when the gender or whatever has been mentioned before hand, ie. Nager, c'est facile a faire.

Hope this helps!
Reply 2
wilgina
I think, but I'm not sure, that 'Il' refers to something that is yet to be mentioned, ie. Il est facile de nager. 'Ce' refers back to something, so when the gender or whatever has been mentioned before hand, ie. Nager, c'est facile a faire.

Hope this helps!

I think this is right; if you're using "il est possible que + subjunctive" then that's at the start of the sentence - e.g. "il est possible qu'elle vienne" or "il fut possible qu'elle vînt". C'est possible just comes on its own as a stock phrase - e.g. "Est-ce qu'elle vient? C'est possible..."
wilgina

Yeah, i think you're right too. Although technically i dont think its grammatically correct to say c'est possible que.
Reply 4
Richy Rich$$
I am not sure but i dont think you can say that, because il est possible requires the subjunctive not the past historic. I think you would say, - il fut possible qu'elle soit venue ou il fut possible d'etre venu

"il fut possible qu'elle vînt" = imperfect subjunctive of venir, needed because of the use of the past historic with etre.
Rebecca/Becca
"il fut possible qu'elle vînt" = imperfect subjunctive of venir, needed because of the use of the past historic with etre.

Oh yeah, i didnt see the circumflex on the i, so i thought he/she was using the past historic. Even still i very much doubt whether you would see the imperfect subjunctive in written texts anymore- its very antiquated.
Reply 6
Richy Rich$$
Oh yeah, i didnt see the circumflex on the i, so i thought he/she was using the past historic. Even still i very much doubt whether you would see the imperfect subjunctive in written texts anymore- its very antiquated.

You probably wouldn't.......past historic sucks. Still have to learn the bloody thing though!
Rebecca/Becca
You probably wouldn't.......past historic sucks. Still have to learn the bloody thing though!

I know- i have forgotten most it, because you just dont use it very much and its sounds really horrible when you try and pronounce it. Apparently tho' in the early 90's parisian rappers used it to be distinctive and new........weird!
Reply 8
Richy Rich$$
I know- i have forgotten most it, because you just dont use it very much and its sounds really horrible when you try and pronounce it. Apparently tho' in the early 90's parisian rappers used it to be distinctive and new........weird!

:confused: random! I'm sure they'll refresh your memory at uni. They refreshed mine!
Reply 9
Dr. Blazed
Never really thought about this before, I've always done it by feel, but what's the rule governing whether to use "ce" or "il" for a sentence such as: Il est possible que... where C'est possible que... would make perfect sense in English.

A good general rule to follow is

-Use il if you're going to continue with the clause beyond the adjective
Il est toujours possible que... (or de...)

-Use ce if the clause is to stop (full stop, comma, semi-colon) after the adjective.

Il est parti? Oui, c'est possible.

Aitch
Reply 10
Richy Rich$$

When I lived in France, a group of (French) friends decided it would be good for my formal French if we all called each other vous and used the past historic, past anterior and imperfect subjunctive correctly. Tough after a few glasses of claret - but at least they found it tough too.

I remember bits

Alors, cher ami, vous fûtes au collège au'jourd'hui?
Non, mais il s'en fallut de peu que j'y fusse. Hélas le bus n'arriva pas!
Ah! Là, vous m'épatâtes!

Difficult to forget when, in order to find out if you've put sugar in their coffee, someone asks:

Alors, cher compagnon, vous me sucrâtes?

Aitch

Latest

Trending

Trending